Home Forums General Discussion Gluten Free people

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    tainabell
    Participant

Hi all,

I have yet another question for all of you.  After Dr. B's talk on Saturday, I decided to give the gluten free diet another try because, if nothing else, it will help me cut down on the carbs.

Here's my question and bear with me, it might sound a little stupid.  What do gluten free folks eat for lunch and breakfast?  I have it so embedded in my brain that breakfast = bagel, croissant, cereals and lunch = sandwich.  How do I mix it up? 

Question #2.  When taking my doxy, I have been eating a piece of bread or crackers to help stem the nausea.  I have this idea in my head that the bready things “absorb” the harshness of the drug.  Any GF ideas for something I could eat that will absorb the harshness but that doesn't have any calcium to ruin the effects of the doxy. 

Thanks!

lvento27
    Participant

Tainabell
    There are gluten free waffles and hot and cold cereals and breads in health food stores or in wegmans if you have one nearby.I used to have gluten free crackers with my minocin to help with nausea.My doctor told me to take magnesium supps for the nausea and it really helped.Glute free isn't that hard once you get used to it.i eat fruit and gluten free waffles for breakfast.
    The breads are pretty tasteless but toasting them seems to help.

tainabell
    Participant

This might be another stupid question – but if you eat gluten free packages or waffles or bread or whatever, are you cutting down on your carbs?  Or are you still eating a carb laden diet?

Magnesium, huh?  I haven't heard that one yet, actually.  Thanks for the tip!

Lizz
    Participant

Tainabell – I am about 90% gluten free. I didn't test sensitive for it , but I thought it was a good idea to cut back, since I did test positive allergic to dairy, eggs and soy. In the last 6 months, going gluten free, I've lost 15 pounds. Sort of low carb. I really like rice cakes and rice crackers, they are in most stores. Read the labels. There is hidden gluten in everything. I cracked yesterday and ate a croissant, totally worth it but I won't do it again anytime soon. Take it one step at a time and don't be too hard on yourself if you slip!

lvento27
    Participant

I love my carbs but I've cut down so much but I can't give up my waffles and I 'm allergic to eggs so I don't know what else to eat for breakfast so I allow myself the carbs but than the rest of the day I eat only veggies and beans and nuts and sometimes fish and chicken.So i don't have carbs the rest of the day.
    Yeh the magnesium helped so much with constipation too.

tbird2340
    Participant

I have scrambled eggs and hash browns almost every day for breakfast.. The days I don't I usually have oatmeal..

Not many ideas, I know, but that's what I've had for the past couple months and surprisingly I'm not sick of it!

tarak
    Participant

If your not allergic to eggs they are great for breakfast. Lots of protein and filing. My husband likes to have a glass of carrot juice and eggs for breakfast.

The gluten free waffles are great I like the blueberry.

For lunch salads are great. Add a protein. You have to be careful with dressings they can have gluten. We also take rice wrappers they are round and hard. Soak them in warm water for a few seconds and make a wrap. Fill with lettuce, veggies – what ever.

Bob's red mills has a line of gluten free bread and flour mixes. So you can make bread and pizza dough.

The diet is a little hard a first, but we make sure we lots of fruits and veggies.

I recommend the books “Gluten free for Dummies” and “The best ever Wheat and Gluten free baking book” they are good places to start. Also http://www.celiac.com/ is a great resource.

louris
    Participant

There are all kinds of great alternatives.  One just needs to exert some effort searching.  Honestly, I think it'd be easiest to transition gradually, but quickly, rather than going cold turkey. 

I am an AS sufferer and am currently nearly starch free in my diet.  Talk about tough!  I didn't know about the AS/starch connection until a few years ago.  However, prior to that a doctor advised me to go wheat-free.  I thought I was going to starve to death.  As a working, single guy, I basically lived off cereal and sandwiches for dinner.  That was my idea of cooking.  I was a kitchen inept putz.  If I didn't starve to death, I'm sure you'll be fine.

I eventually took the step to go gluten free a few months later (you know…oats, rye, barley).  A market like Whole Foods, or even some of the larger markets (e.g. Kroger), they have some nice gluten free alternatives.  Most of the time, I found many of the cereals equally priced to their gluten containing counterparts (this was a couple of years ago, so things may have changed since).  Eggs are a great idea that other folks have mentioned.  Also, if you want a fantastic gluten free bread mix, try Pamela's.  I can't recall if you can make it by hand or not (I used a bread maker), but it was out of this world.  I miss it badly.  Pamela's, in my opinion, had the tastiest gluten-free treats too.  The chocolate chip cookies were great.  Expensive, but worth the occasional expense. 

I'm sure you can find some great sites all over the internet, but if you do any cooking/baking, this one is great.

http://www.elanaspantry.com/

Good luck with your dietary changes.

sierrra
    Participant

[user=854]tainabell[/user] wrote:

What do gluten free folks eat for lunch and breakfast? 

I love Van's blueberry gluten free waffles. I have one almost every morning. I change the toppings to keep things interesting. Sometimes it's nut butter and applesauce, sometimes tofutti (dairy-free cream cheese spread) and jam. Always have ground flax seeds on top. Sometimes walnuts. I recently discovered a very good hot cereal called “Rice and Shine”–brown rice grits. Great with sliced banana, soy milk, and walnuts.

For lunch (at work) I usually have soup and salad or an Amy's frozen meal. Amy's has some wonderful gluten and dairy free choices. There are many wonderful gluten free crackers on the market. I'm munching on some Brown Rice Snaps (dipped in hummos) at this very moment. Glutino brand crackers are very good. I also like “Mary's Gone Crackers” but they can be a little hard on the teeth. Rice and steamed vegies makes a good lunch on days when you're home and able to cook. Another quick, hot and hearty lunch is a corn tortilla spread with vegetarian refried beans, topped with salsa, and heated in the microwave for a bit. Then add chopped lettuce and cilantro and perhaps a dollop of non-dairy sour cream. The rice pastas are great.

There's definitely a time of transition with diet change, checking out the various products and seeing what you like. I agree that Pamela's got a killer pancake mix. I almost never eat the gluten free breads. You can use lettuce or collard leaves to make a wrap. I've worked hard at changing my diet, and it has definitely paid off.

Sierra

Parisa
    Participant

Trader Joe's carries a very nice gluten free Pancake/Waffle mix.  My son who is very picky loves it.  They also make frozen pancakes. 

Right now I'm eating yogurt mixed with frozen cherry berry blend for breakfast.  Nice mixture of protein and carbs.

I was already on the lower side with the carbs before I went gluten free so it wasn't as much of a shock to me.  I often eat a salad with chicken or steak.  The salad has to be interesting though.  Perhaps, baby greens mixed with feta cheese, cucumbers, walnuts, chicken.  Have some fruit on the side if that's too low carb for you. 

Kinnickkinnick and Glutino breads aren't too bad as long as you toast them.

Oh, and for the #2 question, when I mix up the waffle mix from Trader Joe's I use almond milk instead (I also put a touch of cream in it.  I could be wrong but I don't think there's much calcium in cream).

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Tainabell – if you have access to a Whole Foods outlet, they have plenty of Gluten Free choices. Watch for products that are loaded up with sugar instead though! Here in Oz and in the UK, the bigger supermarkets now have plenty of gluten free products on offer. Also, be aware that most instant coffees use wheat in the processing, except Douave Egberts (I think that's the name there) and to avoid any soy milk that has malt in it (gluten). Lynnie

P.S. My breakfast is either a gluten-free muesli (also dairy and dried fruit free) with a sliced organic banana or egg and gluten-free toast. My lunch is a sandwich, made from gluten-free and dairy-free bread, a natural spread, often filled with thinly sliced rare roast beef and salad greens and a pink apple or pear.   

PPS You could try gluten-free rice crackers or corn crackers with your doxy

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Kim
    Participant

Man, Dr. B's really got you walking the straight and narrow! 😀

I've been gluten-free for about 10 long weeks now and am NOT A FAN! :X  Forget the bread products until your taste buds have died…….they have all tasted like sawdust and have gone in the trash.  The Van's waffles are fine and can also be used to make a panini for lunch.  The Pamela's and Bob's Red Mill products are good.  Whole Foods and Trader Joe's have a great selection of GF foods.  For breakfast I either eat an apple with almond butter or Bob's creamy hot rice cereal with salt and a little butter, which I think is really good.  His creamy polenta is good too.  Sometimes I'll make an omelet with one egg and a ton of veggies.  There really are endless possibilities because you can use rice, beans, potatoes, etc. as a base.  For lunch sometimes I'll take a corn tortilla and load it up with whatever is in the fridge.  Whenever I roast veggies for dinner, I'll always make extra for lunch the next day.

You might also do a search for gluten-free restaurants in your area and see if there are any that specialize.  You can check celiac.com's food lists for safe and unsafe ingredients ~ like all the mystery stuff on labels.  If you have to have a quick crunchy snack there are lots of varieties of rice crackers available in most markets.  You can eat corn chips too, but that racks up the carb total as do the rice crackers.  Sami's bakery makes the best garlic chips that are phenomenal — I ate those before I was GF.

What I have learned is that you can't sort of do it…….you have to be 100% compliant because even a little gluten can tip the apple cart, so to speak.  When I take a break on the weekends from the abx and supplements, I do NOT take a break from eating GF.

Bon appetit!

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Kim's right about going the whole hog. My AP doc said I'd maybe get away with a little gluten once a month, but any more and you may as well not be doing it. And BTW, I agree with Kim re the breads in the U.S – the GF breads that I found stateside still tasted like rocks and felt about as heavy. There are much better ones now – i.e. like REAL bread and in the same aisle – both here and in the UK. Hope someone does something about that down your way soon. Makes life soo much easier and also a good way to ensure enough carbs and not too much weight loss. Lynnie  

Be well! Lynnie

rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

tainabell
    Participant

Thanks all!  I just went out to the grocery store and brought some rice crackers, rice cakes, etc.  I think I'm gonna run with the idea of eggs for lunch, maybe eggs and grapefruit or something and maybe I'll eat the Van's waffles for breakfast (although I'm trying to minimize my sugar as well, so I won't be able to smother it in maple syrup as I'd like to).  That way I can make sure I have enough in my stomach to combat the doxy.

Its not so much Dr. B that's gotten me into shape as has been the horrible last week and a half I've had.  There's nothing like some really bad symptoms to make you say, “Why do I eat so bad?  I have to do better!” 

Luckily, I do have Whole Foods nearby, so I should be able to get a lot of the specialized GF foods.  Even my local supermarket has a lot of them.

I don't know if you all remember, but I tried GF once before.  I was on it for six weeks and then I was all “Ah ha!  My symptoms haven't changed!  I'm not gluten sensitive!” and then I quit.  This time I'm in it for a longer haul, I hope. 

Thanks for all your advice!

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Yes – I believe that it's more like 3 to 6 months for results to be seen because of the half life duration of IgG antibodies. Lynnie 

Be well! Lynnie

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘ Gluten Free people’ is closed to new replies.