Home Forums General Discussion Gluten Free people

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    sierrra
    Participant

[user=854]tainabell[/user] wrote:

maybe I'll eat the Van's waffles for breakfast (although I'm trying to minimize my sugar as well, so I won't be able to smother it in maple syrup as I'd like to). 

Definitely skip the syrup. Besides the toppings I mentioned in my earlier post, another favorite is the frozen mixed berries by Cascadia Farms…I defrost some in the microwave with a tiny bit of honey or agave nectar, and then throw those on top of the waffle. Excellent! Don't forget the flax seeds you ground up in your coffee mill! 🙂

Sierra

mommaof2princesses
    Participant

Hi Tainabell

There is a company called Enjoy Life Foods (http://www.enjoylifefoods.com) they havebagels, bread, granola, cereal bars, cookies etc all luten free soy free dairy free nut free shellfish free egg free and they are all really good. As far as the cracker thing there are rice and nut crackers as well as rice cakes, hope this helps! I have been gluten free off and on for a few years now but have been very dilligent about it since this past June please PM me if you have any questions and good luck!

mommaof2princesses
    Participant

Sierra,

that sounds good! I use the cascadian farms berries and flaxseed meal in smoothies its so good with rice milk and a litle nut butter for protein (sonds gross but is really good all together! )I use agave nectar instead of syrup on my pancakes and french toast that I make with gluten free bread once in a awhile its so good!

Meredith
    Participant

Hi. I'm new.

Who is Doctor B.?  Can you point me to where I can read more about Doctor B.'s thoughts on gluten free? 

My regular rheumy had me try gluten free for 4 weeks. I didn't see results so I quit. I'm finding it hard to tell, since I went back on the gluten, whether maybe it did actually help. I've been in a bit more pain lately . . though we've also had A LOT of cold and wet weather up here in Milwaukee.

My big question is . . .can all of us with inflammatory rheumatic diseases benefit from gluten free? Or does it just benefit those specifically who have an allergy?  I'm confused about this. And now, after reading your posts, maybe I didn't stay on the GF diet long enough?

tarak
    Participant

Hi Meredith

I can only tell you of my husband experience. He has SD/CREST and about
    1 1/2 years ago he started having digestion issues – bloating, diarrhea, heartburn. I noticed it was worse after he ate. On the 4th of july he had lots of food with gluten and was drinking a beer and I watched his stomach bloat.:X

I though OMG this is a gluten or wheat allergy. We went on the gf diet and then got tested, but the test was negative. (I have since learned this is common if your test isn't done by a good lab or if you haven't eaten gluten)HE was feeling better but went off the diet in a couple months.

His digestion issues came back and about 9 months ago he went back on the gf diet.

My theory with my husband is that his AI makes his body hyper-sensitive. When he has a flare his body likes to swell. I think the gluten was irritating his digestion system.

He saw immediate results when he started the gf diet. No heartburn, bloating, etc. He says he feels better on the diet and he must because he doesn't cheat.

With any AI it's different for everyone. It would be worth a try on the gf diet to see if you notice improvements.

omgwtfbbq
    Participant

For breakfast, gluten free cereal, whey protein in milk then metamucil (helps you feel fuller), gluten free waffle, microwaved egg, etc.

For lunch it's a can of progresso soup, leftovers, simply asia rice noodle bowl, or dinty moore beef stew.

For supper, usually rice (buy a rice cooker and use it) an some sort of protein and veggies, or gluten free pasta and spaghetti sauce, etc.  Many, many options.  I do mexican style stuff a lot too.  Refried  beans, salsa, corn tortillas, etc.  I make a LOT of asian fusion style food.  Instead of buying expensive gluten free hotdog buns I'll wrap them in rice and nori and cut them up into faux sushi.  I use vitnamese rice paper wrappers often as well. 

One thing that'll hurt you is cross contamination.  Have a different jar of peanut butter, jelly, butter, anything you stick a knife in can have crumbs in it.  Make sure all dishes and pots are washed very well, and get your own pasta strainer.  Now that I've been on antibiotics for months I don't seem as gluten sensitive, but I still have to be very careful of cross contamination. 

When I didn't have any income, I pretty much lived off of brown rice.  Used it instead of gluten free pasta (yes, brown rice with pasta sauce is yummy).  Melted rice over it and had it with my morning egg if I needed some carbs to settle the stomach, etc.  Put some salsa in the rice cooker to make mexican rice, then had it with chicken breasts.  You can do a lot with rice if you try. 

Meredith
    Participant

Thank you for the response! I think my confusion is that I didn't have an immediate response after the 4 weeks gluten free.  In other words, my pain did not magically lift. I haven't had any noticeable changes in my stomach either.  I don't have headaches or anything like that. However, I am realizing that the pain in my joints has been worse since I went back on gluten, so I'm wondering if I maybe need to use that as my guide, rather than stomach issues.

The first entry to this thread said something about Dr. B's talk on Saturday about going GF.  Does you know where I could access that talk?

p.s. From my GF stint, a yummy gluten free treat I would recommend is Lara bars.  They are a bit cheaper at Trader Joe's, but you can buy them in bulk on-line for less.  Also, Trader Joe's in the U.S., if you are near one, has a PDF list on their website of all of their gluten-free foods. They have quite an array. I went to the store armed with the list.  Another treat for breakfast is buckwheat pancakes.  I added blueberries. Arrowhead Mills makes the mix. I made a big batch every weekend and reheated them in the morning during the week in the microwave.

omgwtfbbq
    Participant

Yup, expect a slow response.  I started feeling better a couple days after going gluten free so it was easy.  No stomach upset before, but after I went gluten free I'd get  an upset stomach if I ate gluten by accident.  It took probably 6 or 7 months for me to really notice a big change, if you don't have a negative response to gluten it might take longer because you'll have a hard time avoiding accidental gluten. 

Just realized I made a typo last night.  I melt CHEESE over my rice and eat that with an egg for breakfast sometimes.  Cheese is also very delicious on top of rice made with salsa.  When the rice cooker is done and switches to the warming setting I open the lid and sprinkle in some cheese, it melts in a minute or two.

tainabell
    Participant

Hi Meredith,

Dr. B is a Lyme doctor who wrote guidelines for the treatment of Lyme when he was still practicing.  He actually didn't recommend a totally gluten free diet, but he did suggest that most people with Lyme should eat a very low carb, high protein diet, and abstain from high amounts of sugar.  Unfortunately, Dr. B's talk was just something I went to see in NYC – there's no text of it.  BUT here's his guidelines….

http://www.ilads.org/files/burrascano_0905.pdf

As I said in an earlier post, I also did the on/off gluten diet.  I was so hoping that I WASN'T allergic to gluten that I didn't really give it a chance.  But now I'm digging in and really giving it a shot. 

Lynne – my AP doc had suggested a while back that I might have sensitivity to the IgG antibodies, so you're probably right about the half life.  We'll see how it goes. 

Thanks for all the links, websites.  I'm sure they'll be really helpful.  I got Van's waffles in my fridge, a six pack of eggs, some corn chips and salsa, and I'm ready to go!

mommaof2princesses
    Participant

I was getting heartburn so badly over the past few years, I even ended up in the ER once becuase I couldn't swallow. I would eat a piece of whole wheat bread and even that would give me heartburn so I wasn't suprised when my ND suggested I go gluten free. She told me that if you are gluten sensitive it ususally does not show up in diagnostic testing, but when you have Celiac it does. She told me if I avoid the gluten i may never have full blown celiac. I very rarely get acid reflux now that  Iam on digestive enzymes, eat organically and gluen free (as well as soy, dairy, beef, citrus free) and honestly he gluten free diet isn't what is a challenge for me at this point (I have been on i so loing and there are so many options once you have been doing it long enough to know what to look for) it is all the other food sensitiviteis that  Ihave in combination with the gluten that are driving me nuts. I cannot go to a restaraunt, as the gluten free foods are sure to be full of dairy and gluten, it is hard! But I figure this is not a forever thing (well the gluten is but my ND told me that if Irepect my body and diet the other allergies should resolve themselves once my gut heals itself) I know this is true as  Iwas sensitive to eggs over the summer, avoided them for like three months and now am ok with them again.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘ Gluten Free people’ is closed to new replies.