Home Forums General Discussion Gastrointestinal info by Dr. Galland…(large part of oor immune system)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    A Friend
    Participant

Dr. Leo Galland is considered one of the foremost gastrointerologists.  I've recently found the following link, which I think may prove very helpful to me, especially in figuring out supporting supplements for various needs, which he has concisely given in the slides in the Detox information. 

http://mdheal.org/articles.htm
    The following on Detoxification was found among a list of articles (the first one) in the list by Dr. Leo Galland.  af 

Subject: Dr. Leo Galland, Articles, Slide Presentation of 35 slides [Important information in these concise slides… among the last two on psoriasis (this one in a child) may shed some light regarding this dx and diet). 

This slide information seems very important, and he has given information that we need to know about as to what blunts detoxification and what facilitates it… and much more. 

Especially of interest was the slide (#19, titled: Phase Two Genetics.  (This can be helpful in knowing if something we are including in our diets, and other protocols, may be hindrances instead of helps.  Dr. Leo Galland has been one of my heroes in areas of gastrointestinal health as relates to chronic illness for a number of years now.

One of the first problems/questions his work solved for me a number of years ago was:  Why did I feel drunk/dizzy when consuming certain foods and beverages, even a very small serving?  He explained it very well in an article of his (included also in the list of articles — I'll come back and add which article, if anyone needs it.).  Molybdenum, as I call, figures in solving this problem which is related to yeast overgrowth. 

Note “pH changes” included in Slide 23 of 35. 

Am confused by Slide 31 of 35, where appears:  “CAVEAT:  methylation inactivates genes; aberrant methylation may inactivate tumor suppressor genes.” 
    [Me thinks I need to know exactly what all this means!]

Slide 32 of 35 is interesting, and important for sure, on:  Intestines and Detoxification. 

Slide 33, Detoxifying Agents, looks really exciting (hopefully promising) to me! 

Slides 34 & 35:  Both of these are about a 6-year-old girl with Psoriasis, and the diet that controlled it is in Slide 35.  And, like Dr. Sherry Rogers' writing, Dr. LG mentions nightshade foods being removed from the diet.   

[While I respect Dr. Galland and his work, I can't help wondering if perhaps this child, in these slides, could also be helped greatly, while at the same time using  natural fungal/yeast overgrowth combinations, such as pediatric allergist Dr. Wm Crook in his books, and yeast guru Doug Kaufmann's and in Dr. Tullio Simoncini's work for addressing fungus, which he said was a cause of psoriasis and cancer.  In Dr. TS's work, he showed a simple kitchen cabinet product that helped dissolve the psoriasis of a cancer patient fairly quickly…… just wondering about this….af]

AF

PS  I went to Amazon.com to read about his later book of the two, and read a review by a “James R. McCall”.  This excerpt is reassuring to me about my deciding I'd like to order Dr. Galland's book.  An excerpt from Mr. McCall's critique of the book, I found very interesting:

What made this book so impressive to me was the references that backed up virtually everything the author said. And these were multiple references in the scientific literature to controlled studies. So the meta-message of this book is that you do not have to check your critical faculties at the door when you go in for an holistic approach to health.

Trudi
    Participant

[user=28]A Friend[/user] wrote:

Why did I feel drunk/dizzy when consuming certain foods and beverages, even a very small serving? 

This was one of my earlier ('90's) complaints.  I was miserable!  Haven't had it for a long time–thank God!!

I will have to look at the article–thanks for posting.

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

A Friend
    Participant

[user=442]Trudi[/user] wrote:

Why did I feel drunk/dizzy when consuming certain foods and beverages, even a very small serving? 

This was one of my earlier ('90's) complaints.  I was miserable!  Haven't had it for a long time–thank God!!

I will have to look at the article–thanks for posting.

Trudi

Trudi,

The following gives some amazing explanations and information on what happens to cause this drunkenness.  I did a search to find the verbage I was remembering, and while doing this found work by Dr. Schmidt.  Definitely worth a read, and hanging onto. 

[Note:  It has been suggested to me that when long urls are pasted, it causes our posts to run too far to the right (if I understood the suggestion).  Anyway, I converted the very long url on “TinyUrl” site to the following shorter one.  Hope it behaves. AF]

http://tinyurl.com/2p4xf5

The Candida/Aldehyde detox pathway and the Molybdenum Connection
    Articles – Candida and Gut Dysbiosis
    by Jan Weiss

Trudi
    Participant

The Candida/Aldehyde detox pathway and the Molybdenum Connection
    Articles – Candida and Gut Dysbiosis
    by Jan Weiss

Hi AF–

Interesting article.  My doctor had me on molybednum but I thought it caused me to have more pain.  He said many of his patients have less pain.  I shouldn't be surprised, my body often works the other way.

This paragraph is of interest I would think for those wanting to get off of prednisone:

“And for autoimmune problems, Dr. Atkins states, ” For all conditions that a doctor might prescribe prednisone — allergies, asthma, rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis, lupus, and olther autoimmune diseases, pantethine can be safely, effectively substituted. I routinely use it for all of those conditions on hundreds of my patients, and it's valuable in weaning them off steroidal drugs, or certainly in allowing a lower dose…. “

Thanks again for the article.  I'm going to do a quick search of the “pantethine.”

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

A Friend
    Participant

Trudi,

Great that you saw that possibility to use pantethine instead of steroids. 

Sometimes there's so much information before us, we can't see the trees for the forest (instead of vice versa).  

Now, we need a guinea pig who wants to try this to see if it works…. with his or her doctor's permission. 

AF

Davit
    Participant

Is pantethine prescription?

I'll be a guinea pig. I'm going to try reducing Pred as my skin is getting so thin it rips easy.

Davit.

Trudi
    Participant

[user=1539]Davit[/user] wrote:

I'm going to try reducing Pred as my skin is getting so thin it rips easy.

Yikes!!  that does not sound good.

I didn't get a chance to read up on pantethine so don't know if it is a prescription or not.

Good luck–

Trudi

Lizz
    Participant

Hi – there is a natural prednisone product called cortef – google it . Dr Jacob Teitelbaum in one of his books says it has virtually none of the side effects of prednisone. Just something to look into. Good health to all!

Davit
    Participant

Lizz

Cortef is Hydrocortisone which is the same class as Prednisone. My doctor and my Pharmacyst say it does the same thing and has the same side effects. Just that the dose is different.

Jacob is using a word game. Cortef is bioidentical. Which means what. It means that it is identical to natural cortisone produced by tthe adrenal gland but it is still artificial. It is hydrocortisone.

Davit.

Lizz
    Participant

Davit -thanks for the info. All I know is what I read in one of his books. It seems we are all looking for different options to get off the pred. I am at 4mg and VERY SLOWLY going down, but I am afraid as I don't have alternative pain options. I've tried quite a few with little effect. I need to get out of bed early to drive my boy to school, that's why the pred in the first place. I hope we all can get off the poison soon!

Davit
    Participant

You will notice one of the uses of it is to replace the cortisone you don't produce any more. This is why I got a bunch of I mg tablets. I will try to drop 1 mg a month. But if I hit a plateau under 7 1/2 mg and can't go any lower it will probably be because my adrenals just won't produce it any more. If you don't have thin weak skin, moon face and poor healing, then you may need it.
    I have pre osteoporosis, poor healing and thin skin. No moon face no diabetes.
    The poor healing got better with zinc. The osteopenia is probably leaky gut. And the thin skin could be from something else but so far it is being blamed on prednesone.
    Who knows. If you take MTX then you don't need cortisone. So the Rheumies bad mouth it to sell MTX, same thing they do to Minocin. My hobbies leave me with a lot of scratches that are unsightly so I want to do something about the thin skin and poor healing. At one point in the hospital the Medipore bandage on my leg was peeling the skin off. Just one layer but still!!!

To be quite honest I don't think I can get off it. For me it's not the pain so much as the swelling that bothers me.

Davit.

A Friend
    Participant

Davit, All,

I just ran across this in my Sent file, while looking for something else.  I believe it is worthwhile for us all to read this, and hopefully there's a beneficial tidbit in it for all of us: 

Sent: Friday, September 05, 2008 6:46 PM
    Subject: Magnesium Depletion… About medications that deplete mag, along with other things

http://www.life-enthusiast.com/twilight/shealy/magnesium.htm

[align=justify]In addition, the clinical stressors mentioned above contribute to the overall stress reaction – an increase in ?adrenalin,? cortisone, blood sugar, and insulin. And both adrenalin and cortisone lead to increased excretion of magnesium in the urine. Noise and electromagnetic pollution also elicit this biochemical stress reaction leading to magnesium dumping. And then there is the Future Shock of modern life. All emotional/mental stress further aggravates the adrenalin, cortisone induced magnesium depletion.[/align]

[align=justify]And to compound the remarkable attack upon magnesium, there is a huge arsenal of prescription drugs that deplete magnesium. These include most diuretics, hydrochlorothiazide, chlorthalidone, furosemide, bumetanide; antibiotics – gentamicin, carbenicillin, amphotericin B; cortisone/steroid drugs such as prednisone and dexamethasone; digitalis/digoxin; antiasthmatics including ephedrine and pseudophedrine; laxatives; chemo therapeutics – cisplatin, vinblastine, bleomycin, cyclosporine, methotrexate, etc. And, of course, those non-prescriptions – nicotine and alcohol. It?s a near miracle that we survive in modern society![/align]

[align=justify]Stress begets stress. The lower your magnesium level, the lower your threshold for new stress – thus, you become increasingly more sensitive – more adrenalin, greater magnesium loss, greater sensitivity, etc. Soon the intracellular magnesium level is no longer 10 times that of serum and the cells are in a chronic state of hyperexcitability. Anxiety, irritability, anger, depression and mood swings are just the tip of the iceberg of magnesium deficient symptoms[/align]

[align=justify][end of pasted material][/align]

[align=justify]AF[/align]

evalon
    Participant

Hi..this is Evy..my toddler daughter has JRA..she is doing AMAZINGLY well…gluten free, minerals, candex..and GEMMOTHERAPY – Ribes Nigrum..(Black Currant) which is for adrenal support….google gemmotherapy and arthritis and read some of the info- not the whole picture…but..she gets better everyday…she still takes less than 1 ml of prednisone..but..am taking that out as soon as my new bottel of ribes nigrum arrives!!!  It seems to be a natural cortisone????  Hopefully someone with more medical knowledge wil read the info anf post too..THANKS!!! evy

http://www.forresthealth.com/store/Ribes-Nigrum-Gemmotherapy.html

http://homeoinfo.com/08_non-classical_topics/is_it_homeopathy/gemmotherapy.php

http://www.alifeexperience.net/articles/gemmotherapy_a_powerful_tool_by_towle.htm

Trudi
    Participant

[user=1730]evalon[/user] wrote:

Hi..this is Evy..my toddler daughter has JRA..she is doing AMAZINGLY well…gluten free, minerals, candex..and GEMMOTHERAPY – Ribes Nigrum..(Black Currant) which is for adrenal support….It seems to be a natural cortisone???? 
    http://www.forresthealth.com/store/Ribes-Nigrum-Gemmotherapy.html

http://homeoinfo.com/08_non-classical_topics/is_it_homeopathy/gemmotherapy.php

http://www.alifeexperience.net/articles/gemmotherapy_a_powerful_tool_by_towle.htm

Hi Evy–

This looks very interesting and I am going to bring this up with my doctor the next time I see him.  Thanks for the information.

Let us know how your daughter does when you take the prednisone away.

Take care,

Trudi

evalon
    Participant

Hi!!!!  Yes, bring it to Doc and see what they say…Shelby also is on virginia creeper for small joints..and we are starting mountain pine for her knee…WE now know that it's only part of the puzzle..we are so excited..we are going to see an AP doc next week!!!  We are hoping to get the last bit of arthritis OUT for good!!!!  the best thing is that she is starting to walk again!!!!!!  Gosh..it was so exciting to see our baby start walking at 13 months..then..when she lost the ability it was so very painful..now..she's getting back up on her feet..a little more each day..we are ecstatic!!!!  And again..I don't know what I would've done without the support of everyone here…and g-d bless Dr Brown.  evy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘ Gastrointestinal info by Dr. Galland…(large part of oor immune system)’ is closed to new replies.