Home Forums General Discussion Flue shot

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    lyndsaylee
    Participant

What are your thoughts on getting a flu shot? Anyone know how it can affect arthritis? My husband thinks I should get a flu shot but presently I am having quite a bad flare. Being my pharma-phobic self, I am resistant. However, I hear the flu is particularly bad this year and people have already died from it… healthy people! I’m trying to decide what to do. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Laura

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Laura – if you type “flu shot” into the search box at the top of the front page of General Discussion, alot of past discussion (some of it very recent) will come up with people’s perspective on this

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

jaminhealth
    Participant

I’m 74 and have NOT taken a flu “shot” in 25+ yrs. I keep my immune system pretty healthy with a powerful antioxidant,grape seed extract, taking it 17 yrs now….I always have Oscillococcium (Oscillo) on hand during flu season….

I feel comfortable with my decision, I’m not out in the hectic world as I was when I worked, etc….so I prefer no shots for me. It’s a personal decision and has pros and cons.

I find it TOUGH to inject these toxins into my body:

Egg proteins: Including avian contaminant viruses
    Formaldehyde: Known carcinogen
    Thimerosal: Mercury-based preservative (only in multi-dose vials)
    Other heavy metals such as aluminum: Known neurotoxin
    Sugar: The essence of all inflammatory disease
    Triton X100: A detergent
    Other additives known to cause allergic reactions

richie
    Participant

This is the worst flu outbreak in years –hospitals are filled up –Expect more than 45000 to die —Yet as of Nov only 35% of the population has gotten vaccinated –Just read the newspapers or see the news –its a bad outbreak –Getting the flu shot is no guarantee but it sure lessens the odds of getting flu —Another big deterrent is these alcohol hand washes –very important –Of course if you dont go out in the world and are mainly alone -I guess under those circumstances its not needed —
    richie

jaminhealth
    Participant

I just heard on my local radio that flu has peaked in many states and that CA was not hit hard….and I do go out
    in the world, but NOT like in my crazy busy years of working and raising a child, etc…..

I never bought into those anti bacterial products, good soap and water and keep hands away from face.

Valsmum
    Participant

I would not get the flu shot. When you read about deaths from the flu they fail to mention that it was a elderly person or someone in the hospital with a terminla illness that died from the flu. I would get the real numbers of deaths and research it before I got a flu shot. We had a bad reaction in my family due to a vaccination and had to get hospitalized for a few days. Do you know of any healthy person that has ever died form the flu?

richie
    Participant

What is elderly –over 60 over 70 over 80 –many folks here are “elderly” —you do bring up a fair point –mostly very young or older folks —
    richie

richie
    Participant

The flu has 6 to 9 more weeks to run –All I see on the news is how bad it is –
    richie

niteowl
    Participant

The only way to know for certain how this stain will play out is time. The Flu Pandemic of 1918-20 started out as a mild strain but the second wave was a deadlier mutation. Who knows how things would have played out had there been Flu vaccines. Remember that initially it afflicted the usual suspects but then felled our most vibrant and healthy in its final mutation. One thing that is troubling about this strain is that it is not only manifesting itself in the respiratory system but in the gut like the 1918 strain.

If you are not a proponent of the flu vaccine, then you should stay at home or wear a mask when you are out. (You can order them online), as this is now an epidemic.
    The Flu season can and often ends after Easter, as late as the end of April. (Although the 1918 Flu lasted 2 years) Take care!

Some basics:
    If hand santizer is used, it must be allowed to dry thoroughly! If its wet it is not effective! (FYI, it can promote the cold virus)
    Masks are most effective for the first 15 min, after that they gradually lose their effectiveness.
    If you are on steroids or other immunosupressants, stay away from public places for now.

Diagnosed with RA in 2012
    Fifth Disease in '03
    Lyme? in 2000?
    Had radioactive ablation of hyperactive thyroid in 1997
    autoimmune thrombocytopenia resolved
    Anemia resolved with treatment of RA with Minocycline
    Blood type: B neg

Meds:
    Minocycline 50mg once a week
    Levothyroxine .88mg
    Liothyronine 5mg
    Methotrexate 20 mg once a week

Folic acid
    B12
    B6
    Vit D
    Biotin
    Biosil
    Cbd balm
    Flexaril as needed
    Aspirin
    Benedryl
    Ventolin inhaler
    Lactibiane probiotic

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

niteowl and all – the masks are to keep people from spreading their germs (e.g. via sneezing) and they do not protect you from getting them from the general atmosphere. Many people (me included) were under the impression that they did both. A pharmacist set me straight about that.

Be well! Lynnie

rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

niteowl
    Participant

Healthcare workers are trained to wear fine particulate masks (N-95 respirators) to prevent contracting airborne illnesses such as Tuberculosis and also wear regular masks when treating patients in isolation. Regular masks provide some protection as well and we often send our Cancer Patients out with advice to wear those masks as some protection in their Immune Compromised state. I’m thinking that if some in this community that are on Immunosuppressants and are against getting the Flu vaccine, it could provide some protection. The N-95 Respirators need to be smoke tested/fitted to be effective and I’m not aware of any place that the public could go to get that.

Diagnosed with RA in 2012
    Fifth Disease in '03
    Lyme? in 2000?
    Had radioactive ablation of hyperactive thyroid in 1997
    autoimmune thrombocytopenia resolved
    Anemia resolved with treatment of RA with Minocycline
    Blood type: B neg

Meds:
    Minocycline 50mg once a week
    Levothyroxine .88mg
    Liothyronine 5mg
    Methotrexate 20 mg once a week

Folic acid
    B12
    B6
    Vit D
    Biotin
    Biosil
    Cbd balm
    Flexaril as needed
    Aspirin
    Benedryl
    Ventolin inhaler
    Lactibiane probiotic

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

ah, I see. Are the N-95 ones available OTC in the U.S.? They aren’t here in Australia

Be well! Lynnie

A Friend
    Participant

@lyndsaylee wrote:

What are your thoughts on getting a flu shot? Anyone know how it can affect arthritis? My husband thinks I should get a flu shot but presently I am having quite a bad flare. Being my pharma-phobic self, I am resistant. However, I hear the flu is particularly bad this year and people have already died from it… healthy people! I’m trying to decide what to do. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks. Laura

Laura, I am also “pharma-phobic” about medications, as the beginning of my own chronic illness was advanced after two years of them and not being aware of the necessity of replacing probiotics that our gastro system MUST have to be healthy. Anyway, to the flu shots. My husband always gets them, and I don’t. Over the past year (literally, since January 2012), I found a book by Dr. Linus Pauling which started my needed education on our human need for supplemental Vitamin C and why this is so. After much reading (also by Dr. Cathcart and other authors with the same knowledge and understanding as Linus Pauling), I am using daily in a liquid (WITH MEALS) 1/4 teaspoon of Sodium Ascorbate powder and 1/4 teaspoon of Calcium Ascorbate powder in either a 4-ounce glass of liquid OR just stir these two into a glass of iced tea, or water with lemon and stevia. [Dr. Pauling suggested this mix in his writing, and said it helps keep the mineral balance when taking larger doses.] Both of these Ascorbates work as Vitamin C, but these combined when taken longterm and in these doses, do not cause me to rush to the bathroom. The right dose for each person is just short of bowel tolerance — find that point and then back down to the previous dosage.

There is a lot written about using the above type of therapy. In Dr. Pauling’s book (if you get a copy, you are encouraged to order the updated 20th Anniversary Edition of “How to Live Longer and Feel Better.” I’ve found it at LPI Institute (a research facility named for Dr. Pauling, and this facility actually did the updates and Annotations in the updated book). Wanting a number of copies for my grown family members, I found ordering them from the local Scroll Book Store was less expensive. However, I did not begrudge ordering them also from LPI, as the profits go to fund ongoing research there. On the LPI site, suggest you go to the Micronutrient link for the latest in research on nutrients. EDIT: Thought this link could be helpful to many, so came back to paste the link for the LPI Micronutrient Information Center:
    http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/

All of the above said, books written based on Dr. Pauling’s research, and also articles on this site: http://www.arthritistrust.org under Articles Important, has an article titled “Vitamin C…..” and this contains Dr. Cathcart’s directions for using Vitamin C, and how to arrive at a dosage that is right for each person/patient.

Something Dr. Pauling wrote in his book is that at the first sign of coming down with a cold or flu, we should begin taking Vitamin C at larger doses as mentioned. If we wait until our cold or flu is already advanced, it is not as easy to stop it or prevent it. I use the NOW brand Ascorbates mentikoned above, from my local health store, and each bottle is under $10 and lasts a long time.

AF

jaminhealth
    Participant

If I start feeling something coming on, I hit my body with Echineaca, 2 caps every 2 hours or so is the key dosing…it always works for me. That is my course of action for a cold thing, the flu thing symptoms, it’s Oscillo…works every time when I’ve had to jump on it.

I haven’t had the flu shot in 25 some yrs and last night on CNN Dr. Oz gave Piers Morgan one right their in the audience, it
    was Piers first ever…..Oz talked like it was so SAFE!!!!!!!! Nothing harmful in it….I say bull roar…..

Guess many do OK with them….I can’t bring myself to them anymore…..

Suzanne
    Participant

Some years we get one, some years we don’t (like this year when no dr. has mentioned it during a visit) but it seems like every year, the media reports that it is the worst flu season ever!

Here is a new article on the subject from The People’s Pharmacy:

http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2013/01/12/how-bad-is-the-flu-how-good-is-the-shot/

On this year’s epidemic:
    “Bottom line: public health officials do not know where we are in this epidemic. Judging from the doctors in the trenches of emergency departments around the country, it is still very bad. If flu has peaked, they are not seeing it.”

On flu shots:
    “Even the CDC director, Dr. Thomas Frieden, has admitted that “the flu vaccine is far from perfect, but it’s still the best tool to fight the flu.”
    Another expert, Thomas Jefferson, MD, has been critical of vaccine effectiveness. Dr. Jefferson is Coordinator of the Cochrane Acute Respiratory Infections Group. These independent analysts have also analyzed all the available influenza studies. Dr. Jefferson points out that in healthy young adults for whom the shots work best, “you have to vaccinate between 33 and 99 healthy adults to avoid one case of influenza…In healthy adults, the vaccines shorten duration of illness by half a working day.” If other consumer goods, such as cars or toasters, were so unreliable, we would be outraged.”

Mom of teen daughter with Poly JIA since age 2. Current med: azithromycin 250 mg MWF.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘ Flue shot’ is closed to new replies.