Home Forums General Discussion Diflucan/flouconazole

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Pip
    Participant

Hey guys, just a heads up.  As you know, I'm an APer.  A couple of years ago I forgot my probiotics for 6 weeks and pretty much gave myself systemic candida.  I've slowly battled it and had made some serious headway. Everything has been under control and there has been NO 'telltale' signs, random feet pain etc.  I didn't think I was 'cured' of yeast – just knew I had it on the run.

So, occassionally my AP doc has me take diflucan to be sure we have this in control.  He also doesn't want me taking too many when he can't watch my liver enzymes.  So, basically one pill a week for a month, then off for 2 months until I see him again. 

So, this last time I went to refill my scrip at CVS they gave me a different generic made by IVAX.  I took the first pill and started feeling 'off'.  By the time I took the second pill I had stomach cramping (enough to drop me to the floor) bowel changes (not going to describe – too ugly) urine changes, minor vomiting and YEAST from HELL.  Not only did I have yeast 'there' I had thrush which I've never had before.  So much so it began leaking out of my pores making me 'smelly' and caused raised yeast bumps between my breasts.  Hubby noticed the smell changes – that's how bad it was.

So, I went back to the pharmacy to report the adverse reaction and ask for a different version and the pharmacist kind of freaks out.  She's telling me to report this to the FDA because it's IVAX.  Keeps saying this, along with 'made in India'.  And she replaced my scrip with the Brand – FOR FREE.  Free?  From CVS?  Which is owned by Medco?  By this time, bells are going off and I'm totally freaked out.

So, I reported it on the FDA adverse event form on the Medwatch page.

Now, this is going to sound odd, but I do not believe that it was 'just a cruddy generic'.  She freaked me out so bad I didn't take my 3rd pill this month (which would have been Brand) because one of my signs was also liver pain.  So, if it were just systemic yeast, no pill would have made the yeast worse, right?  Only it didn't.  It's coming under control now WITHOUT the IVAX diflucan and without meds.  Today is the first time without the 'taste' – yucky – which tastes like the smell – kind of yeasty.

I saw my biologic dentist yesterday who confirmed the Thrush but said the 'acidic' nature of my saliva was getting better.  But, he was also became agitated and demanded I go see a PCP and get liver function tests as well as a kidney panel.  I have an appointment on Monday. 

So, for the people here on diflucan – you need to be aware.  Could it be a random problem…yes…but I highly doubt it.  And if you do react….make sure you report this to the FDA.

Hugs,

Pip
    PS – IVAX is owned by Teva – isn't that a 'reputable' generic mino maker, or not?

Edited to add the PS

DiamondTNT
    Participant

OMG, I have some of that, but haven't taken any yet.  I got it at Walgreens.  I believe I will go back to my local pharmacy and have a chat with them.

I'm already very concerned about the generics being distributed, especially by my insurance company pharmacy. 

DianeTexas
    Participant

I am currently on Brand Diflucan 100mg daily for 60 days.  Wow, within four days a significant difference in my joint pain.   I too am wary of generics from abroad luckily I have the option of getting brand prescriptions at a higher copay.

The pharmacy always seems to carry more than one manufacturer for generics so I assume you could ask and request a specific brand.

Donna RA
    Participant

Pip,

Thanks so much for that information.  I recently did a 2 wk course of the same drug, and after felt like I had more of a yeast problem then when I began that 2 wk course.  I just checked my script bottle, and it is also IVAX.  And I did notice how smelly I am, but chalked that up to the yeast.  I didn't have the same adverse reactions, like awful cramps and such, but do have something going on w/kidneys per my recent blood work.  Guess I'll be talking to the pharmacy too.  Thanks so much for posting this.

Donna RA and now Lyme

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=23]Pip[/user] wrote:

So, I went back to the pharmacy to report the adverse reaction and ask for a different version and the pharmacist kind of freaks out.  She's telling me to report this to the FDA because it's IVAX.  Keeps saying this, along with 'made in India'. 

PS – IVAX is owned by Teva – isn't that a 'reputable' generic mino maker, or not?

Pip, thanks for sharing your experience. Should let your pharmacist know, though, that Teva isn't an Indian pharmaceutical company. It's Israeli!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teva_Pharmaceutical_Industries

Although Teva produces a very good generic minocycline that lots of people have success with here, it could be that the IVAX generic fluconazole is a dud and good you reported it. 😉 Wiki has some common side-effects listed here but Drugs.com probably has a better write-up, if you do a search:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diflucan

Last summer, I think it was, an Indian pharmaceutical, Ranbaxy, was stripped off by the FDA for producing inferior quality drugs….TEVA is definitely Israeli, though.

Hope you feel better soon!

Peace, Maz

JBJBJB
    Participant

Pip,

Thanks for posting this information. It freaked me out because I use CVS and also Dr. S just prescribed Diflucan for me. Our insurance automatically gives us the generic ones. I will ask the pharmacist.

JB

louris
    Participant

This is interesting.  I can't help but wonder if CVS doesn't do their purchasing on a regional vs. national basis.  The CVS near us, when we inquired about the generic manufacturer of diflucan (fluconazole), stated they used Glenmark Pharma.  Glenmark may be a U.S. company, but the medication actually comes from India. 

I've been using IVAX fluconazole for many months now.  I get mine from Costco.  Rite Aid and Target in our area also use IVAX fluconazole for their generic.  While the Glenmark seemed to help when I used it, I seem to have no problem with the IVAX. 

I had this yeasty body odor shortly after I started on my medications and readjusted my diet.  I just attributed this to yeast die off and my body processing (and being overwhelmed) by dead organisms and their toxins.  My doctor never stated any different.

Also, Maz is correct.  IVAX is owned by Teva.  However just because a medication is manufactured by a U.S. based, European based, etc. entitiy and maybe manufactured in a U.S. manufacturing plant doesn't mean that ingredients don't get sourced from India, China, or Timbuk Two.  This is also true of vitamins.  I once read that something like 80% of supplemental Vitamin C is sourced from China.  I think I also read that something like 90% of all B vitamins are sourced from China.  Also much of supplemental B vitamins are manufactured from coal tar.  It's amazing what an individual can stumble upon out here on this internet thingy.

A Friend
    Participant

Pip,

When I contacted my local compounding pharmacist about an effective fluconazole generic (because the Diflucan costs two arms and two legs!), he told me that the Ivax was made by the makers of the brand name, and his customers were having good luck with it.  So, decided to give it a try.  So far I've had no known problems with it.  Recently had liver tests and they were ok.   Hope you will continue to post about how you are doing. 

AF 

Marie
    Participant

Wow, that's a really scary reaction.  Sorry that happened to you and glad you're starting to see it calm down. 

I'm also taking IVAX diflucan and haven't had any of those problems.  I get mine from Publix.  Thanks a lot for the heads up.  Definitely something to keep an eye on.   

Meredith
    Participant

Does anyone have any recommendations for how long is TOO long on Diflucan?  I recently started seeing a naturopath who has been prescribing it for me and I'm nervous about adding yet another med. to my list.  She said that she would like to make sure that any excess yeast is cleared from my body before trying other alternative remedies. My question is “how do we know when that happens!?”  Is there some sort of indicator for when we are in the clear?  Since I started to take it, I've had a little bit of a sore throat, feel a bit groggier and am wondering whether it's also making my joints hurt more. 

orchid
    Participant

This freaks me out because I've been urging my mom to take diflucan for chronic sinus infections. I will definitely make sure she takes the “brand” name because of your experience. Sorry to hear you had to go through all of that.

I've also wondered if I have a yeast issue – so have considered taking it myself. Still working on getting my thyroid condition under control and have only minor joint pain from time to time, but it worries me — and I should have blood tests again just to see “where I'm at.”

I think it's definitely a good idea to get any yeast under control before trying AP, though – at least that's what I would do.

A Friend
    Participant

[user=1155]Meredith[/user] wrote:

Does anyone have any recommendations for how long is TOO long on Diflucan?  I recently started seeing a naturopath who has been prescribing it for me and I'm nervous about adding yet another med. to my list.  She said that she would like to make sure that any excess yeast is cleared from my body before trying other alternative remedies. My question is “how do we know when that happens!?”  Is there some sort of indicator for when we are in the clear?  Since I started to take it, I've had a little bit of a sore throat, feel a bit groggier and am wondering whether it's also making my joints hurt more. 

Meredith,

It's my understanding (and experience) that the length of time needed to be on Diflucan can vary from person to person.  My need for it was quite evident to Dr. Wm Crook (deceased now, former pediatric allergist who became a leading researcher/treater of this malady).  I learned about the “yeast connection” to chronic illness after two years of constant onsets of illness and 15 Rxes of abx, with out myself or my physician apparently knowing that probiotics should be taken to replace good flora. 

All the above said, liver tests are usually done to check the patient's liver status.  I had to be on Diflucan 4 months back in the early 1990s.  Dr. Crook told me I would know when it had done its job, and I did.  I had no adverse side effects from taking it.  I believe it will be helpful for you to read any of Dr. Crook's last books.  Or, perhaps better still, go to the Kaufmann site (he's been involved in this type treatment for at least 20 years and is considered an expert, and has MDs, NDs, etc. who all work together in this area of interest).

By the way, I just a few minutes ago found this article by a lady MD, ND, which may be of interest to you on a similar subject. I found it on the Kaufmann web site, from a free newsletter I subscribed to just a few months ago. Also, under Articles, you might find the article on Toes & Heart interesting as well, as it associates the yeast inflammation problem to heart problems.  There's much, much more we need to know about this subject.  It may well be part of a much bigger picture than we realize!   

http://www.knowthecause.com/Newsletter/NewsletterArticles/tabid/57/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/4/categoryId/38/YEAST-AND-INFLAMMATION.aspx

Yeast and Inflammation – Article by Carolyn Dean, MD, ND 

Good luck to you in getting information you need,

AF 

Meredith
    Participant

Wow! Thank you so very much for all of this info.  It really helps. 

Jan Lucinda
    Participant

I was given Diflucan with a ONE pill treatment, by Ivax, no problem.  Anyone else have a ONE pill treatment?

louris
    Participant

Your doctor would have to determine the amount of time you need to be/should be on Diflucan.  As a few others have alluded to, it is hard on the liver.  I was recently on four or five months of Diflucan until my liver enzymes spiked (however, I've determined that the medication had a minor, if any role, in this high reading).  My mino use stired up what was likely a significant underlying intestinal yeast problem despite my use of probiotics.  My doctor requires monthly liver panels to ensure the medication is not causing any problems. 

Regarding the question of “how do we know when that happens/is there some sort of indicator?”.  My MD runs a blood test called a candispehere.  It supposedly measures the amount of toxins that are being released yeast organisms.  Other tests I read about include stool analysis tests and urine tests.  There does not seem to be any consensus regarding a standard test to accurately measure yeast.  My only advice would be not to switch tests once you've had your initial (baseline) test.  Otherwise, you might lose the ability to measure your progress as the results might not be comparable.

I'm a little surprised that your ND prescribe Diflucan as opposed to employing something natural from the get go.  However, the Diflucan is a fantastic choice regardless. 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘ Diflucan/flouconazole’ is closed to new replies.