Home Forums General Discussion dental problem could be cause? any ideas?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    swollen
    Participant

I have RA for over 10 years. I found out about antibiotic therapy about 6 years ago or so on my own.  I have been on antibiotics on and off- I stop them when I changed plans on my ins. and also on my own. Last year I had a tooth pulled out that the dentist said needed a root canal. I wanted it pulled because I read about infection that can be caused from material that is used in root canal–more to it than just the material used. If anyone is interested in reading on that I know of a good web site- let me know if interested. Now in March- I had another problem on the other side of my mouth and had to get a crown. I'm back on antibiotics too since June. All along with going on them and off I've had swolling and would go back on them when it got real bad. But I'm wondering if this could all be causes from the teeth problems. Anyone have this happen? I am glad to find out about this board.

Sierra
    Participant

I'm dealing with an infected root canal at the moment and have been thinking quite a lot about its relationship to my RA. There is a massive amount of info on the net about it. I had the original root canal in 2002 and a revision in August. I'm taking penicillin now, along with my minocycline. No allergic reaction, but a lot of herxing. Dizzy, fatigued, chills.

Sierra

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=128]Sierra[/user] wrote:

I'm taking penicillin now, along with my minocycline. No allergic reaction, but a lot of herxing. Dizzy, fatigued, chills.

Sierra, was your doc okay with you taking a penicillin alongside your minocycline? Just wondered if it might be something to re-check with your doc, just to be sure. 😉

http://antibiotics.emedtv.com/minocycline/minocycline-drug-interactions.html

http://www.drugs.com/minocycline.html

Peace, Maz

Sierra
    Participant

[user=27]Maz[/user] wrote:

I'm taking penicillin now, along with my minocycline. No allergic reaction, but a lot of herxing. Dizzy, fatigued, chills.

Sierra, was your doc okay with you taking a penicillin alongside your minocycline? Just wondered if it might be something to re-check with your doc, just to be sure. 😉

Oh, my. I am taking them together. I will make a phone call right away. I went to the same pharmacy for both, and usually they have a computerized red flag pop up for drug interactions. I really appreciate your bringing this to my attention.

S. (My first attempt at using the quote feature was not greatly successful!)

Maz
    Keymaster

Oh, my. I am taking them together. I will make a phone call right away. I went to the same pharmacy for both, and usually they have a computerized red flag pop up for drug interactions. I really appreciate your bringing this to my attention.

Hi Sierra,

What did you find out? I just wondered about this, because when I had weekly penicillin IM shots last year for the Lyme, there was a red flag warning on the packet, saying that when taken with tetracyclines it could cause renal hypertension. That was with that particular penicillin, though. 😉 

Nice try with the quote function! I notice that happens when I try to type inside the quote box and then hit the enter (return) key …it opens a box within the box. You have to bring your cursor down below the box to start typing a reply to the quote. Took a while to figure it out for this blondie. :blush:

What happened with your surgery? Weren't you going in on Monday for that? Hope your return to the BB means that all went well and you're making a speedy recovery!!

Peace, Maz

A Friend
    Participant

Hello Swollen,

I, too, have been looking for additional information concerning my now longterm problems that have taken a distinctive new turn — after doing very, very well for at least 7 years.  Especially during the years from 2003 to end of 2006, while feeling I had to be off AP because of a medication reaction, I went downhill further, and noticed accelerated deterioration in my mouth.   Since I've paid close attention to all of the logical areas to improve health, I truly believe mine is a case of gradual overall body/immune dysfunction that has greatly fostered unfriendly organisms in the mouth.  Drifting along was not something that worked well.  I am in the process of learning. 

This link below is being posted for you because I found it useful in giving me a bigger picture of periodontal issues in conjunction with our other problems.  

Roots canals and other mouth problems have direct access to the bloodstream and carry organisms  to and from our mouths.   I have a foggy idea of a lot of new things right now.  But, not being a scientist, I won't begin to babble here about my ideas.  However, I believe I'm on a better track regarding this the last year, even if it is not the only track I need to learn about.   Good luck to you.

AF 

http://www.wholebodymed.com/library_education_details.php?pid=22

Periodontal Disease…A Link to Other Health Problems? (Part II)[/size]
    [/size”> 
    [Edit]  PS  Here is another link.  Don't forget that you can click on “Edit” at the top left of the screen.  Then the drop-down list will have “Find”.  If you click this and type in any word you are especially looking for, it will find that word or phrase for you.  I like to use this when I'm looking for a needle in a haystack.[/color][/size]

Root Canals Pose Health Threat

An Interview with George Meinig, D.D.S.

[/color][/size]

Sierra
    Participant

[user=27]Maz[/user] wrote:

Hi Sierra,

What did you find out? I just wondered about this, because when I had weekly penicillin IM shots last year for the Lyme, there was a red flag warning on the packet, saying that when taken with tetracyclines it could cause renal hypertension. That was with that particular penicillin, though. 😉 

Nice try with the quote function! I notice that happens when I try to type inside the quote box and then hit the enter (return) key …it opens a box within the box. You have to bring your cursor down below the box to start typing a reply to the quote. Took a while to figure it out for this blondie. :blush:

What happened with your surgery? Weren't you going in on Monday for that? Hope your return to the BB means that all went well and you're making a speedy recovery!!

Peace, Maz

Hi Maz,

Surgery was canceled because of the dental infection.  I decided to stop taking the minocycline during the penicillin treatment. It looked to me like the interaction was simply a matter of the minocycline making the penicillin less effective. After reading your latest post though, I think I will call. I hesitated because the pharmacy I go to is in the hospital where I work and I know all the people…it's a bit inhibiting.

Sierra

Maz
    Keymaster

I hesitated because the pharmacy I go to is in the hospital where I work and I know all the people…it's a bit inhibiting.

Sierra, would be very interested to hear what you find out about this combo and possible interactions (apart from rendering one or the other ineffective, that is). Thanks!  Hope your tooth infection clears up quickly for you.

Peace, Maz

A Friend
    Participant

[user=546]swollen[/user] wrote:

I have RA for over 10 years. I found out about antibiotic therapy about 6 years ago or so on my own.  I have been on antibiotics on and off- I stop them when I changed plans on my ins. and also on my own. Last year I had a tooth pulled out that the dentist said needed a root canal. I wanted it pulled because I read about infection that can be caused from material that is used in root canal–more to it than just the material used. If anyone is interested in reading on that I know of a good web site- let me know if interested. Now in March- I had another problem on the other side of my mouth and had to get a crown. I'm back on antibiotics too since June. All along with going on them and off I've had swolling and would go back on them when it got real bad. But I'm wondering if this could all be causes from the teeth problems. Anyone have this happen? I am glad to find out about this board.

Swollen, I'm posting information from a link I found while researching a relative's trigeminal neuralgia which seems related to cancer, which developed over the last year or two after having had a root canal and developing chronic problems ever since. Again, I don't want to scare you, but I think we all need to know how serious teeth matters can be. (My own chronic illness began after having TMJ for some time.) He has been diagnosed with inoperable cancer, and has been going the chemo route — mainly, I believe, because they were not experienced with doing research… and naturally trusted their oncologist rather than anyone else.  Am pasting what I've saved on this subject — and am hoping this information will be helpful to those of us who need to do more about any dental problems we have.  (Note:  The link is at the end of the information.  I copied and pasted the words in bold just below because that's the way I've learned to think over the past 16 years.) 

~ ?This is how we think in biological medicine ? we?re always
    looking for the cause, for why the body reacts in this way,?
    says Dr. Rau. ~

THOMAS RAU, M.D.: Arthritis, PARKINSON?s, and Fibromyalgia

Chronic illnesses, from arthritis to cancer, are routinely reversed at
    Paracelsus Clinic where they know that once you rebalance the cells, the
    body will follow suit and heal.

By RICHARD LEVITON
    http://www.alternativemedicine.com/

THE TOOTH THAT CAUSED ARTHRITIS

Here is a case that perfectly illustrates the way seemingly different body
    systems are connected. Elinor, aged 46, had suffered from rheumatoid
    arthritis for 10 years. It was especially acute in her knees. She had been
    given all the standard drugs and treatments, but nothing helped.

Using electrodermal screening, Dr. Rau determined that the source of her
    arthritis was a tooth, specifically, a molar that had received a root canal.

This dead tooth was situated on the acupuncture meridian for Elinor?s large
    intestine and which passes through the knees on both sides of the body. In
    fact, she had 2 root-canaled teeth and both affected this same meridian.
    ?We?ve found that every root canal can upset your health and help cause
    chronic diseases,? notes Dr. Rau.

Paracelsus dentists extracted one tooth and found that the resulting cavity
    in Elinor?s jawbone was infected. They cleaned it out with neural therapy,
    that is, a series of local injections of common anesthetics, such as
    novocaine or procaine, into the jaw. The goal was to disinfect the jawbone
    and to encourage ?friendly? or probiotic microorganisms to flourish there
    instead.

Paracelsus Clinic is nestled amidst the Swiss Alps, making the pristine
    setting itself a healing factor for its many clients.

?On the same day her tooth came out and the dental ?focus? was eliminated
    from her body, Elinor?s knee arthritis disappeared,? says Dr. Rau. Elinor
    declined having the second tooth removed, and for a time her body was able
    to tolerate it. But soon she developed a severe case of dermatitis.

This made perfect sense, Dr. Rau comments, because the second root-canaled
    tooth blocked the energy flow through the Large Intestine acupuncture
    meridian. Problems with the skin, in Chinese medicine, are directly related
    to the intestines; the meridian is the carrier of the problem. The second
    tooth was removed and within 3 days, Elinor?s dermatitis began to turn
    around; given the severity of skin blemishing, it took about 2 months for
    her skin to return to a completely natural state.

Biological medicine contends that arthritis, which always responds poorly to
    conventional medicine, is a ?reaction disease,? the body trying to excrete
    toxins, explains Dr. Rau. Normally, poisons leave the body through the skin,
    urine, or feces, but in arthritis, owing to an imbalance, the body deposits
    the toxins in the membranes around the joints.

Now, if you suppress this attempt to throw out toxins by giving cortisone or
    other strong drugs, it drives the poisons further into the body and
    intensifies the toxicity, says Dr. Rau. What?s needed instead is to detoxify
    the system and help the body excrete the poisons through the normal channels
    and not the joints. ?This is how we think in biological medicine?we?re
    always looking for the cause, for why the body reacts in this way,? says Dr.
    Rau.

DENTAL INFECTION AND CANCER.

?Elinor?s twin problems were produced by a dental infection on her Large
    Intestine energy meridian,? explains Dr. Rau. This means the problems with a
    specific tooth become a focus for spreading general imbalance throughout the
    body and specific disturbances in a given organ or body region. ?Each tooth
    relates to an acupuncture meridian,? he adds, noting that over the years, he
    has compiled a dental chart mapping the precise relationship among teeth,
    meridians, and illnesses. This kind of correlation is highly practical, for
    example, when it comes to understanding breast cancer.

Dr. Rau estimates that in 90% of breast cancer patients he has treated,
    there has been a dental infection. As the breast lies on the Stomach
    meridian, if you have a problematic tooth (such as a root canal) situated on
    this meridian, as it passes through the jaw it blocks the flow of energy and
    can cause degeneration and eventually cancer, Dr. Rau explains. To a lesser
    extent, a dental infection is also involved in the development of prostate
    cancer.

Regarding cancer, about half of Dr. Rau?s inpatient hospital beds are
    occupied by patients with cancer. The issue of cellular terrain is
    particularly crucial with cancer because here you see degenerated tissues
    that have become highly acidic, says Dr. Rau. Sugars in the diet literally
    feed the cancer cells, so patients are put on sugar-restricted diets;
    consumption of animal protein is also curtailed as these substances
    perpetuate the terrain imbalance.

Dr. Rau?s team uses a variety of treatments to reverse cancer. First, it?s
    important to replenish the nutritionally deprived system with supplements
    and key trace elements. If the cells lack the necessary nutrients, then not
    only is the pH thrown off balance, but the system no longer has the energy
    to react therapeutically to subtle energy medicines such as homeopathy.

Second, Dr. Rau?s team may use an injectable preparation made from
    mistletoe, called Iscador, whose efficacy has been well-established
    throughout Europe since the 1920s.

Dr. Rau also uses SANUM remedies, developed by Dr. Guenther Enderlein
    (1872-1968), a prominent exponent of pleomorphism. These medications,
    injected around the tumor site, adjust the pH and cellular terrain and help
    the pathogenic microorganisms revert back to harmless forms, says Dr. Rau.
    In effect, the SANUM remedies help the body restore the optimal cellular
    terrain for health.

?Cancer is the final stage in cellular degeneration such that these cells no
    longer follow the interests of the whole body,? says Dr. Rau. ?Cancer
    results. To reverse this, you must profoundly detoxify then rebuild the
    cellular environment. To do this, the most important element is to balance
    the acid-base relationship.? The proof of the theory is that Paracelsus
    Clinic does quite well in cancer reversals.

Regarding Class IV, the worst kind of cancer in which it has spread to
    multiple sites, Dr. Rau?s team gets about a 50% success rate, depending on
    the type of tumor. But if they can begin treatment in the early stages, when
    a cancer node is first diagnosed, ?then our prognosis is very good,? says
    Dr. Rau. ?After 7 years we have not had a patient whose cancer spread after
    Stage I once we gave treatment.?

THOMAS RAU, M.D.

Shortcut URL to this page: http://www.onelist.com/community/arthritis-testimonia  

Eva Holloway
    Participant

AF,

I may have the dentist check my teeth again. Always had a lot of tooth problems.:( Had several root canals done and there could be a connection with my problem.

Maz has send me two addresses of dentist, here in Houston, that my be able to ckeck this out.

Eva:?

Eva Holloway

A Friend
    Participant

[user=236]Eva Holloway[/user] wrote:

I may have the dentist check my teeth again. Always had a lot of tooth problems.:( Had several root canals done and there could be a connection with my problem.

Maz has send me two addresses of dentist, here in Houston, that my be able to ckeck this out.

Eva,

I had mixed emotions about posting the info this afternoon, but if that scary post benefits anyone, guess the scare in it was worthwhile.  My relative has just about lived in the endodontist office the past year or two, and finally the root-canaled tooth was removed.  My concern is whether most dentists and endodontists realize how toxic these can be. What do you think about taking a copy of the information to the one you see?

AF

Eva Holloway
    Participant

sounds good to me, what do I need to take to the dentist? The info on the story or something else.

Eva Holloway

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Sierra – I had some extremely weird symptoms when I took amoxycillin too close to mino last year (detailed in my Personal History thread) which is when I found out they are contra-indicated to be taken together.

Also, when I took a short, sharp course of amoxycillin for an infected tooth later in the year (no other abx taken for the duration), I had a mother of a flare for 19 days. My AP doc said probably the bugs were chased out of the mouth and into my joints. In my layperson's (and rather stubborn way;)), I also believe that it could  have been a huge herx. Your response may be different, just thought I'd share my experience with you. Hope your tooth settles soon. Mine has. Lynnie 

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Kim
    Participant

Wait a minute……….Maz has a list of dentists too???? :shock::shock::shock:  That girl is amazing! 

Maz, I'm having trouble with my septic system, you got anything?

A Friend
    Participant

sounds good to me, what do I need to take to the dentist? The info on the story or something else.

Eva,

My thinking was that if you read the links about dental infection and the problems they have been 'documented' to cause (which dentists and endodontists seem to maintain “are not a problem”) you will have a better grasp of what conditions may be related to your own problems. 

To reference my relative again, his present condition apparently developed related to these related problems, yet it took a year or more before the endodontist decided the root canal needed to come out. 

The references/links I read in the approx. 14 page paper (which discusses many aspects of dental infection) covers such a wide range of examples, am thinking you may recognize your dental situation among them — and in the long list of supporting references (with links) at the end of the article.  Such as this takes a lot of reading/work, but can be the way to help us understand the “big picture” — especially to discuss with our dental professional and/or physician. 

Am pasting some links/comments in a PM to you. 

Best,

AF

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘ dental problem could be cause? any ideas?’ is closed to new replies.