Home Forums General Discussion Dark Spots on face from Ap?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Elizabeth
    Participant

Hi, I have been on Ap for almost 3 years. I have had good success although i feel like I am at a plateau. I feel 85 per cent better, for which, don't get me wrong, I am very grateful.  For the past three months, I have have slight flair ups again and I have noticed dark spots appearing on my face, (cheeks and around mouth) I know long term use can affect teeth in young people ( I do not fit that catagory). Has anyone heard of this or experienced  the dark spots on the face?  I go to Boston next week for my 6 month check-up and I will discuss this, however, I have learned from experience that sometimes I get first hand experience info from this site.  I also am concerned about the slight flair ups.  Can you develop an immunity to minocin?  Anyone know?  Thanks Elizabeth

Jo
    Participant

[user=476]Elizabeth[/user] wrote:

Hi, I have been on Ap for almost 3 years. I have had good success although i feel like I am at a plateau. I feel 85 per cent better, for which, don't get me wrong, I am very grateful.  For the past three months, I have have slight flair ups again and I have noticed dark spots appearing on my face, (cheeks and around mouth) I know long term use can affect teeth in young people ( I do not fit that catagory). Has anyone heard of this or experienced  the dark spots on the face?  I go to Boston next week for my 6 month check-up and I will discuss this, however, I have learned from experience that sometimes I get first hand experience info from this site.  I also am concerned about the slight flair ups.  Can you develop an immunity to minocin?  Anyone know?  Thanks Elizabeth

I know there is a sun sensitivity and that one is supposed to take vit C to avoid skin discoloration.  Are you taking 1000 mg of vit C a day?

Blessings

Jo

mom
    Participant

Hi Elizabeth,

I experienced spots on my face with a different drug and my RA flared at the same time. It turned out to be drug induced lupus. I'm not saying that's what you have, but it doesn't hurt to get it checked out.
    Do you have fevers and mouth sores as well?

Elizabeth
    Participant

Thank you for the reply.  I live in Maine (not much sun in winter) and i always use a sunscreen.  I do not take a specific vitiman C tablet.  I will give it a try. Elizabeth

Elizabeth
    Participant

Hi, no fevers or sore spots in mouth. Although I do notice my gums seem to be a more bluish color. At first i thought it was my imagination, but I am not so sure now. I will certainly ask at my doctors appt.  thanks for the reply.

mom
    Participant

I hope you and everyone here uses sunscreen (SPF 30) everyday,even if you don't see the sun.

MOM

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=476]Elizabeth[/user] wrote:

For the past three months, I have have slight flair ups again and I have noticed dark spots appearing on my face, (cheeks and around mouth) I know long term use can affect teeth in young people ( I do not fit that catagory). Has anyone heard of this or experienced  the dark spots on the face?  I go to Boston next week for my 6 month check-up and I will discuss this, however, I have learned from experience that sometimes I get first hand experience info from this site.  I also am concerned about the slight flair ups.Thanks Elizabeth  Can you develop an immunity to minocin?  Anyone know? 

Hi Elizabeth,

On the main site, under Education and the Physician Packet, you'll find the “Current Protocol” information. Scroll down to side-effects where the following is mentioned with regard to hyperpigmentation:

[/color]

“The most frequent long-term side effect usually encountered after prolonged administration is minocycline-induced hyperpigmentation. Most often the skin at either sun-exposed or non-exposed sites may develop patchy or generalized darkening. Any area of the body can be involved. Characteristically it has a slate-like hue. The gums, teeth or even the conjunctiva of the eyes can also darken. The problem, with the exception of the teeth, appears reversible with drug discontinuation and the passage of time. Since the hyperpigmentation is purely cosmetic in nature, some patients choose to stay on minocycline due to its beneficial effects on their RA. In an animal model of minocycline-induced hyperpigmentation, high dose vitamin C therapy improved the state for some. Decreased sun exposure can help the problem, at least in part.

ALTERNATIVE[/b] An alternative oral tetracycline derivative for RA is doxycycline. It may not be as strong as minocycline for RA although this point is by no means proven. A particular advantage of doxycycline use is its lessened likelihood of hyperpigmentation. Patients who have experienced hyperpigmentation with minocycline can be converted to doxycycline and followed for what hopefully will be an improvement in the darkening and continued arthritis benefit.“[/color”>

Unfortunately, hyperpigmentation is one of the side-effects more likely to be experienced on the Harvard Protocol (100mg bid daily dosing). People who pulse dose are less likely to experience the blue discoloration. So, you could ask your Dr if you could try pulse dosing or switch up your antibiotic, possibly trying a pulsed combo (e.g. doxy and zith) .

You also said you were experiencing some “slight flair ups.” People who are on mino a long time, will sometimes just rotate their antibiotics for a period of time before returning to mino. It's not really known whether the body just becomes acclimatized to the mino or whether some other coinfection is just seizing an opportunity to appear once the coast is clear. So, this is another reason why switching up and possibly trying a combo isn't a bad idea.

Taking Vit C with mino is highly recommended. I use 1000mg per day and take a brand that includes Rosehip as buffer and make sure to take it with food. Vit C can be hard on the stomach in high doses otherwise. It is possible to take as much as 2000mg a day, but over time this can be toxic in and of itself and it's better just to take a good maintenance dose.

All the best as you search for the best options for you!

Peace, Maz

Elizabeth
    Participant

Dear Maz,  Thank you so much for the information.  It was very helpful and I appreciate the detailed explanation of the possible cause.  I go to a homopathic doctor here in Maine as well as Dr. T in Boston for my RA.  My homopathic doctor specializes in Lyme.  My daughter has Lyme and he has really helped her.  He Has Lyme himself so has really studied the treatment regime.  I will get his recommendation for a  good vitamin C brand. Again thank you so much for your help on the skin condition and I will definitely discuss my options with Dr. T.

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Elizabeth,

Thanks for your note :D… I meant to also add that in studies I've read about skin biopsies done on these blue/gray patches, accumulations of iron were found. Therefore, it is thought that the hyperpigmentation is caused by mino's effect on iron within the body. Vit C is necessary to metabolize iron, which is why it helps to prevent these accumulations. Might be a little harder to reverse, but if DR T allows you to change up your AP in some way for a while, it might help, as well.

Peace, Maz

DianeWI
    Participant

Hi Elizabeth,

I have been at the AP for 16 years and yes….it causes skin to darken and blotches appear.  It seems to discolor the teeth some too.   I look like I have a tan year around!

Diane/WI

Michele
    Participant

Hi Elizabeth,

I just happened to talk to my dental technician yesterday about this as I had my routine dental checkup! She said the Minocycline does cause the gum tissue to turn blue. Her daughter is on Mino for acne.

Michele

Elizabeth
    Participant

Hi, thanks for the reply. Mine looks like black and blue spots. My gums look blue too.  I have received several replies that have given me good information.  At least I feel like I know the cause is the minocin and not something else.

richie
    Participant

Hi

My face always turns colors after sun exposure —afraid SPF 30 wont cut it –you have to use over SPF 50

Richie

JBJBJB
    Participant

[user=27]Maz[/user] wrote:

People who pulse dose are less likely to experience the blue discoloration. So, you could ask your Dr if you could try pulse dosing or switch up your antibiotic, possibly trying a pulsed combo (e.g. doxy and zith) .

Maz,

My skin not only gets very dark but also has many black spots on my arms and face. The darken area is very itchy. I worry about skin cancer. I am seriously considering to change to pulsing doxy and zith as you mentioned above.

I am going to see my local rheumy tomorrow. My body is on fire.

JB

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=266]JBJBJB[/user] wrote:

My skin not only gets very dark but also has many black spots on my arms and face. The darken area is very itchy. I worry about skin cancer. I am seriously considering to change to pulsing doxy and zith as you mentioned above.

Hi JB,

So sorry to hear you're going through such a rough time of it. I haven't heard of the darkened spots also being itchy, so I'm not sure what that might be unless it's some type of allergy, fungus, excema, etc. A good bet would be to check with a dermatolgist, as they use mino all the time and have probably seen it all. Some of them even take a skin scraping in the office and check right there under a microscope to look for possible offenders….not all, but some will do this. 

I think you mentioned stopping Vit C a while back and don't mean to suggest you go back on it if it was causing you more pain, but if the dark spots are from mino, it's possible you're more prone to them becoz of this. I think you're daily dosing, too? So just by virtue of being on the higher dose may also predispose you to a greater chance of getting hyperpigmentation (the blue/gray patches/freckles)…more so than someone who is pulse dosing.

Doxy and zith may be a good combo to ask your doc about to try as a trial for a few months to see if you notice a difference. Zith is quite a powerful broad spectrum macrolide and I remember you mentioning gut issues, so you might want to ask your doc about pulsing that, even if you remain a daily doser with doxy. Of course, these are just suggestions to try, but definitely something to discuss with your doc. Maybe even putting a call into Dr S to ask for his input? I think if the skin issues aren't really all that clear to you, though, a dermatologist would be an excellent resource for this.

Hope you start to turn things around soon, JB. Are you still trying to do lots of detoxing? Also…just a passing thought, but are you sure your thyroid meds aren't too high? It can take a while to get these truly into balace and I don't think TsH is really an exact indicator…it's more how you feel. Too high a dose of thyroid meds can make you go the other way…more to the hyper side, which could also make you feel like you're burning up and hot all the time, as it causes your metabolism to speed up.

Peace, Maz

PS I'm pretty fair skinned and usually go red and then tan…this summer I just went very dark with the mino tan…I kind of like it, though. 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘ Dark Spots on face from Ap?’ is closed to new replies.