Home Forums General Discussion Christmas boutique gifts

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    linda
    Participant

I thought I'd start a thread for ideas for useful, fun or helpful gifts for those of us who are physically challenged.

I am going to recommend my pedal exerciser. It's so convenient and requires very little will power. Put it in front of your favorite couch or chair – when you sit down you immediately have to put your feet on it, and then it moves- it practically starts for you. It has adjustable resistance and can also be put on a table to exercise your arms.  It's basically a footstool that makes you move your legs. Also good for circulation, especially if you're currently not moving much, like me. Mine was $30 at walmart.com

My favorite suggestion is satin sheets. We had a thread last Feb. about mattresses and back pain/sleep problems. The best advice I ever got from a physical therapist was to get satin sheets. Because they cut down on friction, it's easier to roll over, turn, and get out of bed. Turning and moving in my sleep used to wake me up because it was painful. With the satin (not sateen) sheets, it is very easy to move, so I sleep better. In the mornings when my joints are stiff, it's easier to get out of bed. Try Ross Dress for Less or Overstock.com for bargains because they are expensive; however, they are very durable and last longer than cotton or flannel sheets.

My last suggestion is a small cart for grocery bags. My parking spot at my apt home is about 50 yds from my door. It was very difficult for me to carry alll those bags into the apt. With my cart, I just load it up with bags and roll the cart to my door. Not a very fun gift, but definitely helpful.

Any other suggestions? I love getting tips and ideas about anything that will make my life easier!!!

Kim
    Participant

Disposable hand warmers — buy in bulk and keep them everywhere.  Also, lightweat gloves to use in the grocery — that place is like a meat locker!

Maz
    Keymaster

Great idea for a thread, Linda!

Here's some suggestions off the top of my head…

Theraputty for exercising fingers – can usually buy from local physical therapy or occupational therapy place.

Therabands (like pilate bands) for exercising arms – Walmart

Light hand weights – 2,3 or 5 lb dumbells. – Walmart

Electric heating pads – lifesavers for those aching joints and muscles! – Local pharmacy usually stocks these

Electric blanket.

Hot parrafin bath for a bit of luxury for those painful hands.

Gift certificate for your regular vitamin store or online vitamin store.

Peace, Maz

linda
    Participant

I just remembered another gift idea, but it may be too late for this holiday season. Anyway, there are websites where you can create your own cookbooks, with your own recipes and art. I'm in the process of making one for each of my boys.

mommaof2princesses
    Participant

I second you on the electric blanket Maz! Lol I couldn't live without mine!!! My husband is jealous of it because I don't cuddle with him anymore (and I refuse to share my blanket) lol hmm maybe my christmas wish would be one for him so that he stops whining :roll-laugh:

mommaof2princesses
    Participant

I got one… a maid, a massuece, a personal chef… LOL that would all be good for sore hands 😉

linda
    Participant

I'm with you, Momma!

I too have a heating pad, I have to fight my little chihuahua for it, tho! It's too bad he doesn't do dishes, but he does make a good little heating pad himself when he curls up beside my back at night. Another gift idea, a little lap dog or cat to cuddle with, pets are good therapy, and so many need rescuing.

I used to have a paraffin bath, Maz, I remember how wonderful it felt; at the time my fingers were so swollen and stiff that I couldn't bend them at all. Some people are a little afraid of them because they are hot, but once you try it you'll love it.

Thanks to everyone who has or will contribute to this thread.

davew
    Participant

Crocs (the shoe:D)

Uglier than sin and I wouldn't get caught dead wearing them out of the house, but very nice on aching feet….

Dave

SusanSD
    Participant

During the winter, how about a lotion warmer or heated towel rack? I also have a little shawl-sized blanket filled with flaxseed and rice that can be microwaved.

mommaof2princesses
    Participant

Mmm I will take one of each of those where did you get that blanket thing? A towel warmer would be nice. How about a car starter?

Little Red
    Participant

I have an electric blanket for my side of the bed hubby to hot.:)
    like the idea of an auto car started (added to my wish list tonight):)
    Have heard the wax hand warmers are great :roll-laugh:

thanks for the ideas

Little Red

mommaof2princesses
    Participant

I asked for a new stove LOL not really for comfort but because with my gluten free and dairy free etc I do all of my own baking and I found a double oven that I really want… as they say on A Christmas Story my husband, “looked at me like I had lobsters crawling out of my ears” LOL guess I will have to settle for some “tinker toys” ha!

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

off the top of my head too – wont get into the warming stuff right now – it's mid summer here and just reading about those makes me feel hot! :blush:

Arnica cream (wonderful for aching muscles & tendons and to help bring out a bruise)

Ciroc vodka (fantastic taste and perfect for the gluten-free and sulphite-free tipplers)

Mozart for the Mind CD (played softly in the background, great for concentration)

Light ankle weights (Great for stretching out those leg muscles when walking)

Gift certificate for reflexology (fantastic energiser when practitioner good)

Full Catastrophe Living –  Using the Wisdom of your Body & Mind to Face Stress, Pain and Illness: great book by Jon Kabat Zinn who started the Pain Clinic in Massachusetts) 

Lynnie 

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

davew
    Participant

Nice list Lynnie….'specially the vodka part…:roll-laugh:

tainabell
    Participant

My hubby and I saw this massage thing at GNC that you just put on the of any chair and it does the standard massaging.  I think it was only like $150.  We were thinking of buying it as a present for each other.

Lynnie, my brother gave me Full Catastrophe Living for Christmas last year!  I LOVED it.  But I haven't made the full commitment yet to the meditation.  Maybe I should make it a new year's resolution.  I have the tapes and everything.  I would highly recommend it. 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘ Christmas boutique gifts’ is closed to new replies.