Home Forums General Discussion Bush Fires in Australia

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Thank you to the people who have contacted me off the board with messages of support. The fires in Victoria are devastating and this is now officially the worst fire disaster in our nation's history. The death toll is currently at 130 but is expected to go much, much higher….whole towns have been completely wiped off the map and there are just so many people missing in areas that services just cant get into right now. And that doesnt even touch on the severely burned and injured and the devastation in stock and wildlife.  

Seems bizarre that so much of the north (Annie's part of the world) is experiencing unbelievable floods and is under water while the 3 southern states are coping with raging fires. In my State alone there are 49 burning right now. The brutal heat has had all services on high alert for the last 2 weeks…..but nobody could predict where the fires would really explode and it happened lightening fast. 

Maz. Aust, I think you are well away from the disastrous area in Victoria, but send us a message that you are okay. Lynnie 

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Susan LymeRA
    Participant

Lynnie,

I have been watching the stories of the fire in Australia in horror and praying for your countrymen.  I did not know about the flooding.

I am soooo sorry!

Susan

Kim
    Participant

Thanks for posting the update, Lynnie.  This is so very tragic, indeed.

Stay safe……kim

JBJBJB
    Participant

Lynnie,

Thanks for keeping us posted. It's very devastating. I called my family in Sydney yesterday, they said the same thing. I hope the fire can be controlled very quickly.

JB

tainabell
    Participant

Thanks for the update!  I have been thinking about all the Aussies on the board with all this bad news.  Stay safe and hope that there's better news soon.

Rockin Annie
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to let you know how devastating the fires are, I cannot watch tv without crying, the devastation that those arsonists caused and why?. Then we are having floods. We drove home on Sat night through flooded streets to find our street flooded and the water lapping up to our front door, luckily it receded as quickly as it came up. Then to hear about the little boy that was taken by a crocodile up at the Daintree was horrible. Such a devastating start to the year!

I went out to buy some of my staple food, bake beans from Coles, and not anything left, no vegies, fruit, meat, frozen or fresh, luckily I could get some bake beans, much to my hubbies disgust, we will live on them till the trucks get through. :roll-laugh:.

I am so sick of the rain, it is driving me crazy, the mildew is awful, but then I think about Victoria and I think I would rather this that be there.

Just to let you know, I don't think Maz would mind, has lost a family member, so is dealing with her own loss.

…………….Annie 

Diagnosed with RA in 2004, after trying many conventional meds I changed to mino.
    2015 changed to doxy 50mgs
    2016 went off doxy, after getting double pneumonia and massive flare put myself on 250 mgs Zith & 50 mgs doxy, which I will increase slowly.
    Supps, magnesium, NAC, vit c, krill oil, oregano oil, thisylin, turmeric, olive leaf extract, vit B, multi vit.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Oh Annie,  how terrible for Maz…thanks for letting us know. 

And I feel for you, must be awful in all that wet. Not kind on your joints, as well as everything else.

Arsonists notwithstanding, I keep thinking about what WE”VE done to our planet that sets the scene for all this….ironic that there's a conference of climate change experts from around the world that began in Melbourne yesterday.

Take care of yourself. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Trudi
    Participant

Lynnie and Annie,

So sorry to hear of the devastation and loss your country is experiencing; awful that it is at the hand of arsonists.

Which Maz lost a family member?

Thanks,

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

maz.aust
    Participant

'Tis me Trudi

Maz-Aust

Dec07: Diagnosed PRA, (CTD; Fibromyalgia; suspected Lyme):
    Mar08: Diet to heal gut/bolster immune system (no gluten, dairy, sulphites or sugar)

Jan 2018: ABX Mon/Wed/Fri (started AP 2008)
    1/2 x 150mg Roxithromycin(Biasig), 1/2 x 150mg Clarithromycin (Klacid),
    1/2 x Fungillin, 1 x 250mg Cephalexin (Keflex)

All off days Probiotics

tbird2340
    Participant

Wow, I don't keep up with the news and know nothing about any of this but my heart goes out to you guys dealing with it.. Our house has water problems when we get heavy rain and I know how I feel.. I can't imagine dealing with the things you guys are..

Hope you all stay safe.

Sorry about your loss maz.aust..

Trudi
    Participant

Maz-Aust–

My deepest sympathies; your loss saddens me–

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

Parisa
    Participant

I'm so sorry you are also facing this in Australia.  We almost lost our house in the fires here in Southern California a year ago.  This used to be an almost idyllic place to live but I now dread fall with its dry weather and Santa Ana winds.

maz.aust
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I have been getting Pm's from people who know we live in Victoria asking if we are OK so thought I would just post on the RB site to let you know yes we are OK ? although the Gippsland fires (Churchill, Bunyip) are only about 40 min drive away ? there is a lot of suburbia in the way before they would get to us.

On Sat we got up really early and just knew it was going to be bad .  My husband turned the bore on and started soaking our property at about 5.30am, we had it running all day. (it reached 47degC by our thermometer that is in the BBQ area under roof).  We have 80 acres of scrub land behind our house so wanted a barrier between it and us.

The official temperature climbed in the old scale 117degF & apart from anything else, it was the winds that did it, they reached over 100 miles an hour.

So not to worry, we just have some huge sprinklers feeding from the 65ml bore lines ? they each reach a 20ft circle each and we have 15 of them in-ground.  Because we live in a semi rural area (and I have lived in a bush fire prone area most of my life) we have our own bush fire plan should a fire breakout:
    1   grandson, & any children at home at the time, into the car
    2   dogs & cat, into the car
    3   open the aviaries and let the birds go 
    4   turn on the bore (which is only a light switch)
    5   get in the car and go

If I had time I would get my jewellery and any photo?s that I could see, toothpaste etc and makeup & perfume (which is all in one place) and a change of clothes for everyone and jammies for my grandson & some toys (he is only 3-1/2).

In my view houses and property is just that – you can always rebuild – and memories are carried in your heart – you can't rebuild if you are not here.

What happened at KingLake is that it is 'scrub bush land' ? and the fires were running out of control on one side of the mountain with reports of a 25 kilometer front, then the winds changed direction and blew it back on itself and it became a 50 kilometer front racing up the other side of the mountain.  With 100 mile an hour winds, sadly they had no hope.  

The story is the same for Marysville & all the other areas decimated by the fires.

Currently the fire that is still out of control through the Bunyip state forest is running at an 80 kilometer front…. 

Many people chose to stay & try to save their homes and got caught .  But there again there are some good stories coming out as well, for instance there was one older couple who had 100 dogs (breeders) and 250 head of cattle, and they moved all their dogs & stock all through the night Frid night packed the trailer & car and left their farm Sat morning, just in case.  They were right to get out, there is absolutely nothing left of their property/farm.  There was another young family of 4 who were in their car trying to outrun the fire, and bravely sat screaming in their car as the fire ran over the top of them, they survived and are OK..  

The news this morning is that 178 are confirmed dead ? but I have no doubt that will climb to over 200 very quickly.  There are some areas and towns that are now only a name on the map; everything is gone.  The other problem is that the emergency services and fire-fighters (CFA, which stands for Country Fire Authority, are all volunteers) still can?t get in yet to check.

Don?t forget that almost every burnt and crashed car you see on your news has bodies in it ? they tried to outrun the fire and got caught …. it is a horrendous scene, the enormity of this disaster is yet to come.

My brother-in-law's funeral was yesterday and from our point of view to try to help; my husband (as next of kin) is contacting the Executor of his brother's will this morning to suggest she calls the Red Cross so they can send a truck and pick up all the furniture, blankets, sheets, bedding, towels etc a full kitchen of appliances, plates cutlery and everything to give it to the Bush Fire Appeal…….  he lived alone in a 3 b/room house and there is a houseful they could have…..

The first Bush Fire Appeal that started Sun night reached AUS$14 million by 8.30am this morning.  People from all over the State are sending clothes, shoes, bedding, toys, and hundred's of people are opening their homes to those left homeless as well as others offering to look after pets that have been found alive.

My thoughts are with those who have been affected in any way by this disaster.
    Maz-Aust

Edited to put this bit in, 
    ps – And I haven't forgotten how bad it is up north – with torrential rains and flooding, they are having a hard time of it as well.  Hope you are OK Annabel !!!!

Dec07: Diagnosed PRA, (CTD; Fibromyalgia; suspected Lyme):
    Mar08: Diet to heal gut/bolster immune system (no gluten, dairy, sulphites or sugar)

Jan 2018: ABX Mon/Wed/Fri (started AP 2008)
    1/2 x 150mg Roxithromycin(Biasig), 1/2 x 150mg Clarithromycin (Klacid),
    1/2 x Fungillin, 1 x 250mg Cephalexin (Keflex)

All off days Probiotics

katieb
    Participant

Hi Maz.Aust,

I am just so devastated to hear about the terrible wildfires and especially of the sad loss of your brother-in-law. Thank you for posting this – it brings it home to me how terrible the situation is for you all down there. I am in tears watching the news bulletins. You are so positive and brave. I pray that the winds will drop and the weather cool down so that the fires can be brought under control, and that your home will be safe.

My thoughts are with you and Lynnie and everyone in that part of Australia, and also with you Annie in the north battling the floods.

:crying:

Katie

Noel
    Participant

Hi Maz,

Finally signed up to the forum here, although been an avid reader for some time.

I don?t really know the right words to say but echo exactly what Katieb and others have said.

Glad your ok.

Best wishes to all those affected.

Noel

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘ Bush Fires in Australia’ is closed to new replies.