Home Forums General Discussion Armor thyroid medicine

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    JBJBJB
    Participant

I was told by the CVS pharmacist that Armor thyroid is no longer in production. Is this true? I have not been able to fill my prescription for almost a month.

Any one can keep me posted on this and what other med closes to Armor thyroid?

Thanks,

JB

orchid
    Participant

JB -this appears to be true and is affecting a lot of people. The new formula is not the same and many people have also been getting symptoms again.

Most people have switched to Naturethyroid – good luck!

JBJBJB
    Participant

Orchid,

Do you know where I can get the Naturethyroid?

I really hope to find a new med which can help me to maintain my HST.:crying:

Thank you, Orchid!

JB

A Friend
    Participant

JB, I documented what I read about this at the time I read it, plus added a note or two when I sent it to a family member.  Am pasting this below:

Sent: Saturday, September 19, 2009 10:18 AM
    Subject: Thyroid hormones, concerns about FDA & other Bio-identical Hormone concerns

[Just read the following from Mercola newsletter just received.  I have been familiar with Mary Shomon's work, especially with thyroid problems, for a number of years.  With today's Mercola newsletter, and other recent newsletters from him, I'm becoming more and more concerned about the encroaching/stiffling efforts being exerted by the USA FDA, et al  [are the “et al” in this case, Big Pharma's pushing to do away with the competition?  It's happened before here and in other countries, and been exposed.  A real concern is that with all the healthcare reforms being studied, that we may be left being unable to get the natural supplements which in so many instances have been shown to be superior for many — especially for many chronically ill patients — than the chemically-altered prescription medications. af]

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/09/19/Is-the-FDA-Poised-to-Ban-a-Century-Old-Natural-Remedy.aspx
    [From above link in Dr. Mercola's newsletter]

Mary Shomon is the about.com thyroid expert, and she is one of the leaders in the field. In this article, she raises the warning flag about a very important issue for many people ? the potential elimination of bioidentical hormones from the market.

Edit:  “m” in his/her post on down below (thanks “m”), gave us this link for Mary Shomon's concerns about Armour going away.  Am pasting here, for convenience, as the about.com link entered above did not readily show this important article:
    http://www.savenaturalthyroid.com/docs/natural-thyroid-summary.pdf 

[Skipping down to this excerpt from this same paper, copied & pasted here FYI:]

As reported by Mary, the FDA has already shut down natural desiccated thyroid drug production and distribution by three firms:

• Biotech

[/*:whywjrjg]

• Major

• Time Cap Labs

Two other major manufacturers/distributors now have long-term backorders for their bioidentical hormone products, which include Armour, Nature-Throid, and Westroid. 

[end of excerpts above]

Trudi
    Participant

Thanks for the post, Friend!!

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

JustPeachy
    Participant

Hey, JB,

Well, I actually called Forest Pharmaceuticals today, as I will soon have to fill my Synthroid/Cytomel again. 🙁

Their recording about Armour was updated on 09/21/09 and states that a “supply” of powdered hormone was made available to them by their supplier and a limited amount of the 60 mg pills was made and has been/will be distributed. They know this is no where near the amount needed and are working on the problem. They state that they are very aware of upset physicians, pharmacists and, of course, patients!

Anyway, it is a good sign that they are still in production – even if it is “limited production”.:?

Here is their number:  1-866-927-3260, #1 for Armour.

JBJBJB
    Participant

Thanks for this important information. I will be able to pull it through for another 2 weeks. I hope I can get some soon. I am so allergic to all kinds of medicine including minocycline now. Armor has been working well….

Also thanks A Friend for the articles. You are such a sweet heart!

JB

m.
    Participant
    A Friend
    Participant

Here's another reference.  It's to a previous thread discussing thyroid issues.  I just found it on RBF BB and think it may be of interest and help to those who may not have seen it — especially newer members.  Here's the link to the thread:

http://rbfbb.org/view_topic.php?id=2129&forum_id=1&jump_to=28364

AF

orchid
    Participant

Justpeachy & JB – just be aware that even though Armour is still being distributed, they have changed the formula, so people are getting sick (including my sister).

JB – not sure where you can get Naturethyroid — maybe try calling their number at 877-797-7997, they should be able to give you a list of pharmacies near you or possibly ordering it by mail?

Good luck…

JBJBJB
    Participant

I am running into this problem again. CVS told me there is no longer a production of armor thyroid medicine.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

JB 

Parisa
    Participant

JB,

I found out that the new Armour pill wasn't working for me and I have switched to a compounded version which even though I am paying out of pocket costs about the same as my monthly co-pay did for the Armour. 

JustPeachy
    Participant

Hey,

I hope this is not the end of”natural medications”. I have been using Nature-Throid for about 6 months, and have used Westhroid also, but I hope my pharmacy is not out. I was going to fill it next week. I do NOT do well on Synthroid and will opt out in defiance! LOL. My pharmacy fills with 3/30 mg pills per day as no 90s are in stock, so I have been reducing to 2 pills a day for a month, as I am following a high raw diet. Some have claimed complete thyroid healing on the raw diet (with arthritis symptoms also), so I have taken the plunge.

Good luck to you and all on thyroid meds. What a rollercoaster ride it is. :X

redrock
    Participant

My CVS now has the 30 and 60 mg tablets, but it's the “new” armour, which many people find problematic. I get my dessicated thyroid from a compounding pharmacy. I'm not sure if Naturethroid is available again or not.

JBJBJB
    Participant

Thanks for the replies. I don't know what to think right now. I may have to take the “new” one and see how it plays out. Parisa, that was good to know about your experiences with the new armor thyroid. I will have to watch out and test myself within 10 days.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘ Armor thyroid medicine’ is closed to new replies.