Home Forums General Discussion Antibiotic formula changed???

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

Ariel-
    Maybe you could get it at a smaller pharmacy. I got Teva at the UCLA Hospital Outpatient Pharmacy.

quilter
    Participant

I tried Minocin for a short time and decided that it wasn’t working; I may have been influenced by the hassle that I had when I was getting it through Kaiser. So when I tried to get the Watson brand again I couldn’t find it anywhere, finally I got it at Costco. Carol

Dancing feet are Happy feet!
    Nov 2007 Raynauds, Jan 2008 Carpal tunnel, Aug 2008 Rotator cuff, May 2008 MCTD, July 2013 H.Pylori, Aug 2015 Vaginal Atrophy
    Medications: Minocycline 100 mg MWF, Low Dose Naltrexone 4.5mg, Acidophilus 1-3 a day, Estradiol patch
    Vitamins etc.: Vitamin A, Vitamin E, Vitamin D-3 1000 IU a day, Aspirin 325 mg, Magnesium, B6, B12, Beta-carotene, Cranberry, Garlic, Multi Vitamin, and Glucosamine & Chondroitin with Boswellia & Manganese, & MSN, Grape Seed Complex, Meta

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

After learning that Watson is now manufactured in India, I decided to get Teva which is made in Israel. I feel more comfortable with a drug made in Israel than a drug made in India.

RevereRosie
    Participant

My pharmacy changed from Watson Mfg. co. to Teva Mfg for my Minocycline. Minocycline from Teva contains a red dye and also red food coloring which I’m allergic to. I don’t know why mfg. companies feel the need to add dyes to their pills. We don’t care what color they are. Most children are highly allergic to red dyes and yellow dyes.

I had to on my own, call a good 15-20 local pharmacies that accept my insurance company and who still order from Watson mfg. so I can continue taking the same Minocycline that I have been on now for about five months. I got lucky and found one and they deliver! That was a plus. My capsule is bluish gray and yellow. I, then called my doctor’s office to send my scripts to the new pharmacy.

I had to return the Teva script before the new pharmacy would write up a new script from Watson, otherwise, it would look like I’m just a junkie looking for same drugs from different pharmacies.

Walgreens can order it for you but will charge you more money than a pharmacy that is in “Network” with your insurance company.

Good Luck!

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

Teva 50mg is pink. Teva 100mg is maroon and pink. The 75mg is gray and white. I checked.

quilter
    Participant

Hi Jan and Rosie, At this point I’m going to give up looking for the Watson brand. I asked for the Teva brand and the pharmacy called my new Kaiser doctor who said…sure it’s fine to give her the Aurobindo brand. I’ve decided to try it. I’m tired of fighting with the pharmacy and the doctor and the nurses. At least it’s made in the U.S. I hope. But unfortunately it is in a red and pink capsule. http://www.drugs.com/international/minocycline-hydrochloride-aurobindo.html
    Carol

Dancing feet are Happy feet!
    Nov 2007 Raynauds, Jan 2008 Carpal tunnel, Aug 2008 Rotator cuff, May 2008 MCTD, July 2013 H.Pylori, Aug 2015 Vaginal Atrophy
    Medications: Minocycline 100 mg MWF, Low Dose Naltrexone 4.5mg, Acidophilus 1-3 a day, Estradiol patch
    Vitamins etc.: Vitamin A, Vitamin E, Vitamin D-3 1000 IU a day, Aspirin 325 mg, Magnesium, B6, B12, Beta-carotene, Cranberry, Garlic, Multi Vitamin, and Glucosamine & Chondroitin with Boswellia & Manganese, & MSN, Grape Seed Complex, Meta

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

quilter- Your Kaiser doctor doesn’t sound very good. Is a different strength a different color? With Teva, 50mg is pink, 100mg is red and pink. I hate to see you give up on getting Teva. You might see how you do on Aurobinda. If not good, request Teva again. I was on 50mg Watson and was not herxing. I took 50mg Teva and had a herx in my left elbow and arm. I think it is more effective.

PhilC
    Participant

As far as I can tell, the formulation of Watson mino has not changed. However, the name of the company did change. It is now called Actavis.

See: http://www.watson.com/

The name change may be why people are having trouble finding Watson mino.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

I was told Watson is stilled called Watson although it is now made by a different company. It is now made in India.

JustDiagnosedChris
    Participant

I had been getting Teva 100 mg since I first started using minocycline. Last time I went to my local Walgreens here in Murrieta CA they gave me Watson. It is blue and white and says “WATSON” right on it.

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Jan,
    @Jan Lucinda1 wrote:

I was told Watson is stilled called Watson although it is now made by a different company. It is now made in India.

Watson has been making their minocycline capsules in India for at least three years, so this is not a recent change.

They’re made by:
    Watson Pharma Private Ltd.
    Verna, Salcette Goa 403 722 INDIA

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

RevereRosie
    Participant

I just called to renew all my scripts and the new pharmacy just informed me that Humana will no longer pay for Minocycline mfgr. from Watson. They do have a mafgr. named Rainbaxy……….gray/white capsule. I’m worried I will start hering again with a new drug. I have had issues in the past whenever my scripts were bounced from one pharmacy to another, they are compounded differently and I get an adverse reaction.

Had I known this new pharmacy was going to do the same thing, I would have stayed with my old pharmacy which was closer to my house. Ugh.

Is anyone on the Minocycline manufacturered by Rainbaxy? I freak out because this medication is so important to me. Anyone have any input on this?

vinny
    Participant

I have always done the best on Ranbaxy. Currently getting Ranbaxy tablets from Humana’s mail order Rightsourse Pharmacy.

Psoriatic Arthritis: 100mg Minoz Minocycline TABLET daily; twice daily 400mg Pentoxifylline;125mcg Levotyroxine: Have been using some level of Minocycline since 2008

RevereRosie
    Participant

It’s not that they changed the formula, it is that they changed manufactuers and they compound the formula differently. Mine are No longer from Watson. They will be delivered on April 1st. Praying I have no problem with them.

I was told Humana will not pay for Watson mfg because their prices are too high. They are now using Rainbaxy. (sp) I’m upset about this because I have adverse reactions whenever pharmacies change mfg because they don’t compound them the same. I’m exhausted looking for my meds. Praying the new script will agree with my body. I have no choice at this point.

I freak out when this happens especially with this drug because I finally got to a point of feeling good.

RevereRosie
    Participant

@vinny wrote:

I have always done the best on Ranbaxy. Currently getting Ranbaxy tablets from Humana’s mail order Rightsourse Pharmacy.

I was told by the pharmacist that they are a gray and white capsule. My main concern is that the ingredients do not contain a red dye. I’m allergic to a lot of dye coloring. Why do they have to put color in the pills in the first place knowing people have adverse reactions to them. Makes no sense to me.

I’m glad to hear that Ranbaxy worked well for you. I hope they will work well for me also. I take 100 mg twice a day which is the Harvard Protocol because I also have Scleroderma.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.