Home Forums General Discussion allergic reactions to mino/and doxy-what else can i do.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    freddiet50
    Participant

Hello,

so, I've been waiting three months, what seems like forever, to get my doctor to agree to put me on Antibiotic therapy. And last week we decided to try Doxy 100mg 2 xday M.W.F . The first day i felt fine and on the third day when i took my second dose, i began to itch all over, eventually i broke out in hives all over my arms, and face. I tried to reason that i had tried a new laundry detergent or introduced a new chemical into my routine….but after trying the doxy again after a days rest i broke out in hives again…..i called my doctor, we both agreed i was having an allergic reaction to the antibiotics. so we tried Monocine- 100 mg….and again like clock work after about 4 hours, my arms were covered in hives….

My present treatment for my arthristis is :
    hydrochloroquine 100 mg 2x day,
    baking soda 3x day ( not with in 2 hours of plaquni.)
    1/2 teaspoon acv 2x day morning and night

Apparently I'm allergic to tetracycline family of antibiotics…Is there anything else i can ask my doctor to try, I've never had an allergic reaction to antibiotics before which i find very strange……I also had a CT scan with dye contrast the day i started AT, is it possible the dye is still in my system and reacting to the antibiotics??? (testicular cancer survivor)

Probably not, i know I'm reaching!

please help, id love some assistance on this topic!

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Hi Freddie and welcome to the Board! You may need to wait a little for people to get past the New Year celebrations and aftermath to receive replies so (though it's difficult) have patience. I have also moved your post into the General Discussion area – The Personal History and Progress area of the Board is for authors' journal notes only and cant generate responses. Hopefully you will receive some answers soon that will help shed light on this problem. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Susan LymeRA
    Participant

Freddie, 

This is really a bummer and I don't know that I have the “right” answer for you.  So, I'm just trying to brainstorm with you.

Whether you believe ongoing infection is the trigger to your illness or you think the antibiotic is just working as an anti-inflammatory, there are natural sources that also work.

Go read my current post titled “Look what science is discovering”.  You can and should put into practice dietary changes and supplementation to help reduce your inflammation.

Allergies come from gut imbalances.  So healing your gut is imperative.  I have the good fortune to be working with a rheumatologist who completely believes in infectious causes to auto-immune disorders.  I test positive for mycoplasma, CPN, Babesia, HHV-6.  I also tested for and have cleared H.Pylori and Parvovirus.

When I first became sick, I was tested for heavy metal toxicity and found to have 3 x the highest acceptable limit of lead and also highly elevated in mercury. 

At that time, I was swollen in every joint and my bloodwork showed my RA in the high moderate range.  I was only 4 pts below severe and joint damage was occuring.

My rheumatologist at that time did not believe in any of this and angrily agreed to prescribe minocycline.  I then went in search of dentists and doctors who could help me identify and treat other factors triggering this illness.

First thing I did was remove my remaining amalgam fillings.  Two weeks later, my jaw pain ceased and has never returned.  I began working with a GP who has advanced his medical training into CAM therapies.  (Complementary Alternative Medicine)

He began giving me glutathione IVs along with myers cocktails (IV of Vitamins) and lipostabil which clears fibrin from the blood.  He tested me for food allergies and I cut them from my diet.  Cutting out my allergic foods reduced my pain considerably. 

Here is a great article explaining the benefits of glutathione.

http://www.vrp.com/articles.aspx?page=LIST&ProdID=1181&qid=&zTYPE=2

In one year, I went from CCP of 56 to 30.  That put me in the weak positive RA.  It only took 6 mths of treatment to get my life back.  Treatment continues but I live mostly painfree and do everything I ever did.  I love to ride horses which is very physical.  1200lb animals require a strong, painfree body.

Vit D3 is anti-inflammatory and it is recommended that people with RA take 5000 IU daily.  I was taking 1000 IU for a long time but when I increased to 5000 IU, more great benefits occurred.  The obvious physical benefit was the shrinking of 3 herboden nodules. 

Vit C is anti-inflammatory.  Turmeric is anti-inflammatory. 

Your doctor will have to determine the best drugs to use.  I'm no expert there.  Even the rheumatologist I work with now mostly uses herbals to attack my bacteria.  She does this because 7 mths of strong antibiotics for the babesia was producing more inflammation in my body.  We ran the DetoxiGenome test which shows that genetically I do not produce enough glutathione and therefore cannot eliminate the toxic side effects of the drugs.  In her words “I have been poisoning you”.

I still take doxy 100 mg MWF (I developed drug induced lupus with mino) but that is the only antibiotic.  I have been on an intensive herbal protocol, first IV then oral for 1 yr.

The good news is my mycoplasma count keeps dropping.  I just got bloodwork results drawn 12/1/08 and my CCP is now 26. 

Do everything you can to reduce your inflammation.  You might want to consult with a CAM physician.  Here are two organizations that train doctors in CAM therapies.

http://www.acam.org

http://www.functionalmedicine.org

Susan

Susan LymeRA
    Participant

Freddie,

Also read hollybell's post on “I found this really interesting” regarding fungi and arthritis.

Susan

JBJBJB
    Participant

Freddie,

Sorry to hear you are having some allergy reactions. I could only speak for myself. I realized I had allergy reaction with seafood while on minocyclin. So the dye contrast could cause some drug interaction.

I took minocyclin with daily 400 mg hydrochloroquine. I had no problem at all. 

I have been on AP since 2008 April 22nd. I do have a lot of itchy skin and sometimes I have rash when I have certain Italian food.  One of the members recommended take benadryl before going to bed, it helped to release the toxins. So I did. It worked out really nicely.

I would wait for a week and re-introduce the Dxy back with smaller dosage (50 mg per day?) and gradually build up.

JMO

JB

JBJBJB
    Participant

[user=785]freddiet50[/user] wrote:

My present treatment for my arthristis is :
    hydrochloroquine 100 mg 2x day,
    baking soda 3x day ( not with in 2 hours of plaquni.)
    1/2 teaspoon acv 2x day morning and night

Freddie,

Why are you taking baking soda and how you take it? I am curious and would like to know. Is it for alkaline reason?  What is acv?

Thank you,

JB

Jo
    Participant

I am suprised your doctor started you out so very high.

Perhaps you might consider the less is more category.

Give it time to clear, then try starting at 25 or 50 mg or whatever the smallest dose is, once or twice a week.  See what happens.

There are lots of people who can't tolerate the higher doses right off like that.

Jo

Maz
    Keymaster

Apparently I'm allergic to tetracycline family of antibiotics…Is there anything else i can ask my doctor to try, I've never had an allergic reaction to antibiotics before which i find very strange……I also had a CT scan with dye contrast the day i started AT, is it possible the dye is still in my system and reacting to the antibiotics??? (testicular cancer survivor)

Hi Freddie,

One way to determine if it's an allergic reaction to the tetracyclines or a rheumatoid hypersensitivity reaction (as described in The New Arthritis Breakthrough) is to have some bloodwork done and to check for eosinophils. According to the information on the main website, if these are elevated, it's clearly an allergic reaction:

https://www.roadback.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=studies.display&display_id=184#Anchor-The-51540

1. A marked increase in eosinophils (for instance about 30%) is an indication of an allergic reaction to the drug.

[/*]
    There is another member here – Tainabell (Jen) if memory serves – also in NYC and who has found she has Lyme disease. She has had repeated hive-like reactions. You might like to speak with her to see how she is handling this with her physician.

Alternative antibiotics are also suggested in the book – The New Arthritis Breakthrough – Dr Brown would also use the mycins. Many of us here use combos of mino and azithromycin, for instance.

You might also like to check out the FAQ section on rheumatic.org…see under FAQ #2 for Dr F's recommendations on antibiotics used for rheumatic disease:

http://www.rheumatic.org/faq.htm

If you'd like a listing of AP physicians in NY, we can send you that. There are also a few New Yorkers who may be able to share their NYC AP physician experiences with you.

Don't lose hope, Freddie…there are always alternatives you can try out there. Sometimes it just takes working with an experienced AP physician who is open to infectious causes.

Peace, Maz

freddiet50
    Participant

Lyinne ,
    thank you for the assistance and all the help! I'm going to digest all this information and speak with my doctor…of course ill have to wait till their office opens back up after New years eve/day..:-).

freddie

freddiet50
    Participant

Let me just say first off, thank you to everyone who replied…..It's a very nice feeling to have such a big response to my post in a few short days, after feeling like i hit a dead end.
    I would love a current list of doctors in nyc who will agree to consider AP treatment.
    As far as diet, i have been completely gluten, dairy, and red meat free since May of 2008. This change in diet has greatly reduced the swelling in my fingers and pain in my knees. In fact i have been able to stop taking Indomethacine, 25mg 2x a day since i changed my diet. I have been able to get by on the plaquinil alone. With some pain killers only used on isolated instances of really bad pain.

Also my doctor is letting me try the Antibiotics because he feels they have anti-inflamitory properties they poses …not due to the infection it cures…so that seems very limiting sometimes when we try and talk about information i get on this web sight.

All in all, im going to regroup, do some more reading , and try and make some decisions.

thanks again

Maz
    Keymaster

I would love a current list of doctors in nyc who will agree to consider AP treatment.

Also my doctor is letting me try the Antibiotics because he feels they have anti-inflamitory properties they poses …not due to the infection it cures…so that seems very limiting sometimes when we try and talk about information i get on this web sight.

Freddie,

Have sent you a private message with a physician listing for NY and NJ, which you can retrieve by going to the top right of this page and clicking on “1 new message waiting…” right beside where it says, “Logged in as freddiet50.”

Isn't it interesting that a physician would prescribe a small, pulsed dose of a tetracycline and claim it has enough anti-inflammatory properties for a rheumatic disease? Actually, the dose you were taking is less than half of the dose prescribed to pimply teens for their acne! 😉 Oh well, kudos to your doc for letting you try AP, even if he's not convinced about infectious causes. To figure out a good protocol for you, with your reaction, you'd save yourself a lot of grief just seeing a good AP doc who will be open to trying some different classes of antibiotic, if needs be, and who will also check you for true allergy to the tetracyclines. Some people on tetracyclines do get hive-like rashes as a herxheimer reaction. Obviously, it's wise to rule out allergy first, but check out this link:

https://www.roadback.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/education.display/display_id/91.html

Jarisch-Herxheimer Reaction

Although RA is discussed in particular, patients with other inflammatory rheumatic diseases will recognize many issues mentioned here.

The Jarisch -Herxheimer, or Herxheimer reaction, was named for the German dermatologist, Karl Herxheimer (1844-1947). Dorlands Medical Dictionary refers to the Herxheimer reaction as a transient, short-term, immunological reaction commonly seen following antibiotic treatment of early and later stage [infectious] diseases which [may be] manifested by fever, chills, headache, myalgias (muscle pain), and exacerbations of cutaneous lesions. The reaction has been attributed to liberation of endotoxins-like substances or of antigens (a substance which causes an immune reaction) from the killed or dying microorganisms.

Peace, Maz

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Freddie – so glad you are getting some really useful help and suggestions. I knew you would, they are a great bunch of people  on this Board! Hope the New year brings you some answers and relief real soon. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

casey
    Participant

Hi there,

It is certainly tough to try and figure the difference between drug allergy, flare/disease progression,herx  etc.

My son had been on doxy 100mg every other day for over a yr. His ANA stayed the same but his dsDNA was going down slowly. Our AP doctor felt he should switch to mino for deeper tissue penetration.  In the yr on doxy , his sed rate never rose above 2 . At the end of Nov , he went to 100mg minocin every other day and the last 3 days , after almost 4 weeks on this, he has been getting hives on his back at exactly 6:30 pm on the button , last for 2 hrs and gone. Also, the first night of the hives, he accidently ingested gluten in a sauce when out for dinner with gramma.

I have now had him miss a day and then gave him 50 mg yesterday but the hives were there again last night. Hard to say what this is. Just hate these diseases so much. everything is a guessing game.

Just babbling here….thanks for listening.

Casey

Kim
    Participant

[user=266]JBJBJB[/user] wrote:

I have been on AP since 2008 April 22nd. I do have a lot of itchy skin and sometimes I have rash when I have certain Italian food.  One of the members recommended take benadryl before going to bed, it helped to release the toxins. So I did. It worked out really nicely.

JB, you mentioned Italian food giving you problems.  Many people are allergic to foods in the nightshades family, such as tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, potatoes, etc., which is the base for most Italian dishes.  You might want to check it out and see if that group of foods is a trigger for you.  Just a thought.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

There is also gluten in the pasta. Probably even more important to consider is the possibility of sulphites in both the minced beef and the sauces. Sulphites are well known to cause allergic reactions, including skin rashes and hives. I'm pasting the piece again re sulphites. It also lists foods that contain sulphites in both U.S. and Australia and covers those that are often not declared on the label . Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘ allergic reactions to mino/and doxy-what else can i do.’ is closed to new replies.