Home Forums General Discussion Alcohol and RA

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    prix560
    Participant

I like to have a good time and throw a few back now and again, plus when I have had enough I feel no pain while feeling the buzz, heck last weekend I challenged a few guys to a wrestling match that outweighed by a good 80 lbs.  I was just wondering if anyone has had any adverse issues with alcohol and AP.

PS.

I lost the match I blame it on my crappy wrist and the loss of strength from not being able to workout.:headbang:

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Well your strength is obviously not an issue! For me, I notice the difference next day in my knees (background pain) if i break my diet and have a couple of glasses of red wine. In this case, it's probably the sulphur -dioxide, which is a no-no for me. Also, most meds are less effective or otherwise contra-indicted if taken with alcohol (read labels). Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=480]prix560[/user] wrote:

Quote:
    I was just wondering if anyone has had any adverse issues with alcohol and AP.

/quote]

Hi prix560,

Lynnie's label-reading suggestion is really important, because some antibiotics require total avoidance, while others require caution and moderation. Here is a link from the Mayo Clinic re: antibiotics and alcohol:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/antibiotics-and-alcohol/AN01802

Worth bearing in mind that light to moderate drinking occasionally probably won't hurt, but binge drinking puts quite a load on the liver, especially when on long term antibiotic therapy. The liver is like the body's garbage disposal unit, working hard to detox the body from both the drugs and foods we ingest, while also helping to rid us of the toxins released by pathogen die-off. Alcohol also tends to be dehydrating to the body, which backs up toxin release.

Over time, some APers find their livers rebel and their liver enzymes become elevated…this can mean having to back off antibiotic therapy for a time until the liver has a chance to rest and regenerate. Enjoying the occasional drink probably won't do a lot of damage, but heavier drinking could really do a number on the liver over time. So probably moderation is key with this and avoidance optimal.

Sorry you lost the arm wrestling match, though…I know how that is…I used to enjoy the odd glass of Strongbow cider (British drink – pretty strong!), but a couple of those would have me dancing on table tops and suffering an almighty headache the next day. This became worse after having kids. I realized that I just couldn't tolerate alcohol anymore, so rarely have a drink these days….maybe a few sips of wine for a toast….but it's just not worth the after-effects anymore.

Peace, Maz

prix560
    Participant

ohh, I was not arm wrestling.  This was full out wrestling in a mud hole caused by a birthday water slide.  The contest was pretty much over when my opponet put me across his shoulders horizontally and spun me like a helicopter.  I had met my match.

Although I hate to hear that about the booze, I will have to make due since I would rather be in remission than be drunk.  Although it may be a close race. LOL

Cheryl F
    Keymaster

[user=480]prix560[/user] wrote:

ohh, I was not arm wrestling.  This was full out wrestling in a mud hole caused by a birthday water slide.  The contest was pretty much over when my opponet put me across his shoulders horizontally and spun me like a helicopter.  I had met my match.

Although I hate to hear that about the booze, I will have to make due since I would rather be in remission than be drunk.  Although it may be a close race. LOL

Boy, it sounds like you are just HAVING TOO MUCH FUN!  I am glad that you are enjoying life in spite of the RA.

Cheryl

prix560
    Participant

I did feel pretty sore the next day, for the most part I am happy with how my body treats me except for the wrist pain and the hand pain, and my left elbow which has a bone spur.  My legs have come around ten fold from hobbling in after a twelve hour shift at the paper mill and not being able to close my hands to grip anything.  I have been on Enbrel and MTX for over 5 years now.  But I can no longer workout, or cut fire wood for excercise, nor can I swing a golf club or bat.  My son is now practicing t-ball which is hard for to show him how to hit.  And i want to get him a golf club set.  I know I could get better and feel like I did back in 2000 when I was still playing sports.  I am going to coach two soccer teams this fall and want to be as strong as I can.  I really think AP is going to work for me.  I can just feel it, like god and pushing me this way.  I never asked him to take the disease but always asked him to show me the way.  This web site is that way.  Can not wait to recieve my book next week.

Patti D
    Participant

Amen Prix560!!

I would love to know how many people have got their RA under control with lots of exercise. I have been on AP for 6 months and am just starting to walk 3 miles most days, kayak, garden, ride my bike and hopefully swing my golf clubs again. I could not do that last summer because of the rotator cuff/shoulder pain  but plan on swimming either way. Now mud wrestling is way over the top:D

I talked with a personal trainer who told me he has seen people “cure” themselves of many different chronic diseases with exercise alone. When I whined about the ankle pain I was experiencing while walking his words were push yourself harder, you will feel better. So I got a paddle boat and proceeded for the first time out to paddle or bicycle as it seems around our lake and low and behold for the first time in 7 months my knees feel better . Go figure.

Now about the alcohol. Look up the meds your on and see if it is ok. If it is just the AP, I wouldn't be too hard on yourself if you have an occassional drink. I have had wine or a beer or a cocktail on the weekend and have had no problems. You know I am not about to give up living because of RA. I practice self control but I do try to have a normal life and yes wine in part of that.:blush:

Happy days and hope you have more good days!

Patti D

Patti D
    Participant

OK this is the funniest thing that has happened to me today. I have been censored and the word I was trying to say came out as “opps” tail :shock:. How funny:roll-laugh:

This made my day:roll-laugh::roll-laugh::roll-laugh::roll-laugh:

Patti D

Sierra
    Participant

That made me smile, too. They must have changed their censoring word from “wisher washer” to “oops”.

Sierra

Todd WI
    Participant

Patti has a potty mouth

I agree with you about exercise, I think it will be key for me.  I think serious exercise is one of the reasons I was able to keep my PsA at bay for 10+ years.  But as I aged, my physical activity tailed off, the disease kicked up, which caused my physical activity to tail off even more…  It's a vicious cycle that I'm currently busting my butt to reverse.

Todd

linda
    Participant

HI Patti D,

About 12 yrs ago, when my PsA was still moderate, I began walking every day, just 15 min to start. It was very painful the first 2-3 wks but after that I was fine. By 6 months I was running 3 miles a day and doing nautilus 30 min every other day. I was able to decrease the prednisone to 2 mg/day and was only taking naprosyn. Biologics weren't out yet, nor were the cox-2 inhibitors. It was short-lived because I also had endometriosis and it became so painful that I ended up having a hysterectomy. We moved 6 weeks later and I never really got back into my exercise routine. I tried several times but was always defeated, not by the PsA, but by the FMS. I just couldn't get past the fatigue, no matter how slowly I started. Since then my symptoms have gradually but steadily worsened.

I think exercise definitely helps in treating arthritis, for one thing it releases serotonin which helps with the depression. IMO, however, it needs to begin b4 the disease becomes too advanced. About 4 yrs ago I had some mild success with warm water therapy, but I was also getting acupuncture at the time, which releases endorphins. There have been some studies on endorphins and the effect they have on our immune system (there were a few posts about this a few months ago), my memory is bad and I don't remeber exactly how they work. I don't know if exercise also releases endorphins, but I suspect that it does.

There are so many variables as to why exercise helps. Maybe we sweat out toxins. It obviously strenghtens our muscles and tendons and therefore our joints, but that doesn't explain the decreased inflammation. I do know that there's a fine line between the amt of exercise that is beneficial and the amt that puts too much stress on our body and makes the condition worse. Remember, any kind of trauma can trigger a flare. As with everything else used to treat these diseases, it's a balancing act. And then there is the debate over low-impact vs. weight bearing exercise, which helps keep our bones strong but can be damaging to inflamed joints. Best advice I can give is speak to your physician about starting some kind of physical therapy to start out with, and go from there. Good luck,

linda

Patti D
    Participant

Hi All,

Todd- I guess I do have a potty mouth;)

Sierra- Glad you got a giggle or two:D

Linda- You must work in the health field as you repeated exactly what my neighbor who is a personal trainer said. He specifically told me once I overcame the initial pain factor and build up my stamina or pushed myself, the release of feel good endorphins would make me feel mentally, & physically better which would make me feel years younger. I am 53 but have been making jokes about my ” granny walk down the stairs each morning” Let's just say it's not a pretty sight. So now I get my tennis shoes on in my bedroom, do some simple ankle rotations and if I'm not working do my 3 mile walk first, before anything. I really have to push to do this but like you said, it does help. I will keep a record of how this helps but my plan is pretty simple. Gardening for stretching, walking to get the ankles down in size, and at the lake a paddle boat for the knees and the kayak for the shoulders. Looks like I am going to be pretty busy so I sure hope I am able to do some of this on some days cause as you know each day is a different story and we never know if its going to go as we want it too.

Happy days & happy healing!!!

Patti D 

John McDonald
    Participant

Ever since I acquired and started treating RA I haven't had real good luck with alcohol. I am now substantially in remission but I am still on antibiotics (MP now) and though I only rarely elicit an RA herx I can still elicit herxing. At this point I can usually get away with a single beer or a single glass of wine but even now if I have more than that I usually don't like the way I feel for a day or two after.  Sometimes I can enjoy a little more, sometimes less.  The results aren't real predictable but generally it makes my herxing less comfortable. If you are still on classic RA drugs then alcohol is a really bad idea. Most NSAIDs and most classic RA drugs are hard on the stomach and organs and so is alcohol.

Patti D
    Participant

Hi John,

Yes, I believe moderation is the name of the game in respect to drinking. I am pretty much watching everything I take in to see if it causes joint pain or not. Woke up today with joint pain everywhere and thing it may be caused by red meat. I haven't had that in a couple of weeks and this weekend 2 outdoor cookouts, burgers at both. Is it related? There are plenty of articles that say it could be. As far as the occassional beer or wine or”opps” tail, I have noticed absolutely no difference in my stomach, herx etc. Maybe because I have only been on the ABx for 6 months??

Happy Days!

Patti D

froggy
    Participant

Patty,

i tried to pm you a couple of times and for some reason it says unknown name.  I was wondering if you now what your ccp adn rf numbers were before you started AP.  Also, I have abeer on Fridays and don't notice a difference in my symptoms either.  It was the day I had 5 I noticed.  Pretty sure it was a hangover though.  lol

froggy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘ Alcohol and RA’ is closed to new replies.