Home Forums General Discussion Alcohol and RA

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Patti D
    Participant

Hi froggy,

I don't know what my numbers are now but when I started with my RA  /lyme disease my RF was 191 and anti-CCP was 221. My sed rate was 30 and dropped to normal in one month of antibiotics. I still getting better but how are you doing??5 beers would give me a hangover pre RA. I have been known to like a little red wine now and then:P but am not partaking in any alcohol right now until I get this extra weight:( off.

Happy Days!

Patti D

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Patti,

Yea, good point about the sugars in alcohol. A friend of mine, whom I dearly love, has a bit of a drink problem and downs a bottle of wine or more throughout the day, pretty much every day. She recently had to stop for several weeks prior to a surgery and lost 10 pounds without any diet or exercise. It was quite revealing to her, I think. 😯 

Probably for those of us on long term abx it's not a good idea from the vantage of candida, too?

Peace, Maz

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

I actually think that alcohol doesnt cause 'herxing' , rather a flare or mini flare. And certain types may cause more sensitive gut responses than others (beer and wine if yeast is an issue, wine if sulphur-dioxide an issue). I drink the world's most expensive vodka these days -all I am allowed (because it's distilled 7 times, from grapes, not grain – no gluten, wheat, yeast or sulphur dioxide). Never have any joint issues after this, just a slight pain in the bank acount. Lynnie 

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Joe M
    Participant

Lynnie,

Do you mind mentioning the brand?  Thanks-
    Joe

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Not at all Joe. Here the vodka is called Ciroc (fully imported from France by  Diageo) and it's around 80 bucks a bottle. Beautiful tall bottle with a little blue in it. However a Texan friend of mine recently wrote me about one called Idol in the US that sounds remarkably similar. Lynnie 

Be well! Lynnie

rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

froggy
    Participant

Lynnie,

How do you do teh diet for your gut.  Mine was quite a mess adn although it is getting better it could still use some help.  I am very skinny and find it difficult to find enough to eat.  Not too mention very expensive and since I am a teacher with 2 kids I don't have the extra money to go all organic……

thanks for the help.

PS.  Do feel like you are getting better on teh mixed abx you are taking now.  I spoke to a doc that wants me to do mino, flalgyl adn a week of zith.  What's your opinion?

Froggy.

froggy
    Participant

Patty,

Thanks for the info.  Sometimes it seems the people that are doing well are the ones with low numbers.  It's good to hear this is working for people with the high ccp too!!!!!  Gives me hope.  Now if I could get this hip to stop hurting I'd be good.

Hugs

froggy:D

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Froggy – the diet I am currently on is very strict, no gluten, grains, dairy, no sulphur compounds and as low in salicylates as possible. However, that is for me – and not everyone is the same. Plus, I expect to be able to add things back down the track. Gluten-free is known to result in weight loss. So, if you are already quite skinny, that may well be a problem for you. If you can afford to get some professional advice, I would urge you to. If not, then the mercola diet (http://www.mercola.com) for RA patients is probably not a bad one to consult. He does mention the gluten aspect and losing weight in this. Anyway, have a look. As for the mix of abx, a little early to say. I had very little in the way of pain when I started, (more background aches and a few niggles – nothing like I used to get) so do not expect huge changes this time around. I have a phone consult coming up soon so will report after that. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

KAnderson
    Participant

😛 we have a diageo factory just down the road from me….shall we plan a midnight raid? :roll-laugh:

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=351]froggy[/user] wrote:

PS.  Do feel like you are getting better on teh mixed abx you are taking now.  I spoke to a doc that wants me to do mino, flalgyl adn a week of zith.  What's your opinion?

Hi Froggy,

This sounds 'close' to the protocol that Dr S in TN used to bring his RA into remission and that he now uses for his patients. Here's what he said about about his dosing protocol the other night on the rheumaticsupport.net chat, although I'm sure he must vary it for individual patients:

“Minocin (100mg bid MWF), flagyl (250mg bid 3 times per week), nizoral (200mg 3 times per week), Diflucan (200mg once weekly).”

Combos tend to work very well for some people, especially when progress is slow on just mino. It's thought that the combo targets possible opportunistic coinfections that impede progress. Dr S uses Flagyl a lot, as I understand it, especially when progress stagnates. It's an anti-protozoal and targets anerobic bacteria in the gut…however, it's quite powerful (used to treat C Difficile) and can be hard on the gut, so used in low dose pulses over longer periods is best.

A week of zith might clear out any lingering strep you have, but some AP docs prefer to pulse it over longer periods of time, too. I found I herxed really badly on zith (twice a day on T and Th), so dropped my dose to once every ten days. Everyone's level of hypersensitivity is different, though.

The interesting thing about Dr S's (in TN) protocol is that when I showed it to my Lyme doc, he said it looked very much like a Lyme Protocol! So, if you have any concerns about Lyme, this sort of protocol would cover some of those corners, too.

Peace, Maz

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘ Alcohol and RA’ is closed to new replies.