Home Forums General Discussion 3 years + some on AP

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Pip
    Participant

My 3 year anniversary on AP was 8/25 and I wanted to make sure I came back and told all the newbies “YES, it works!!!”

I was diagnosed with Palindromic RA in 3/06 and I thought my life was over.  I was on a walker at night by July and had to use a wheelchair 3 times in the 5th month post diagnosis.  I called the Arthritis Foundation for more info as I was sure this was some sort of weird RA Cult – and was told AP doesn't work.

Aren't I lucky I didn't listen to them?

Anyway, in the last 3 years I've moved across the country, boogie boarded, can mall crawl with the best of them, ice skated and I don't know what all else.  Oh, yeah, for the ladies, I can wear high heals again!  Mostly I just keep up with my daughter – the reason I chose AP – as I wanted to be there for her as she grew up.  Still haven't surfed yet but thats only because I refuse to get in a bathing suit.  LOL

So, a special thanks for Friend, and John McDonald (the man saved my life) and all the others who were here when I needed them!  Thank you for giving me my life back.

Hugs,

Pip

spacehoppa
    Participant

Wow Pip, Thanks for the update. I LOVE reading this type of post. And you can wear high heels again! Wow! Hard to even imagine for me.

Ice skating and boogie boarding… That's what you'd call *properly well*. I'd settle for a lot less than that, but it's so great to hear that it's possible. Thanks for posting!

whaleharbor
    Keymaster

Pip,

Very inspiring.  Thank you for sharing.

– – whaleharbor

Minocycline 100mg every other day with food...lots of food: Zydus brand. Celecoxib 200mg twice per day: Greenstone brand.

mkbeeliever
    Participant

This is a wonderful post!  Thank you for sharing your story!  Continued health and happiness to you!  And yes, thank God you did not listen to them!

Blessings,
    Michelle

suera
    Participant

I'm with spacehoppa, would settle for a lot less but good for you, that is great! I started shortly after you did, didn't have the same results but was told at the beginning it's not for everyone. Love to hear these stories, especially understanding how long and difficult the journey is.

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Oh Pip,I am soooo happy for you.I remember what abasket case you were.Good going kiddo.
                Lynne

Pip
    Participant

Lynne – yeah, wasn't I!  LOL – I was about as freaked out as a person could be being diagnosed with this crud.   This is why the RB is so important, because when you're scared, and your rheumies (in my case all 10 of them) keep telling you it 'won't work', you can sit here and watch others wrestling with what it's going to take to heal.  And you have somebody here to hold your hand while you figure it out.  Nothing is more important than that, IMHO. 

If it wasn't for the RB, I wouldn't have absorbed all the talk about yeast, so that when we moved, and I forgot my probiotics for 6 weeks, and gave myself the yeast infection from hell that I'm still dealing with to this day, I wouldn't have known to come back here and get some help for mastering yeast.  AP would have failed.

If it wasn't for the RB, I wouldn't have the AP doc I have, who saw my strep titres rise while my other myco titres were dropping – eventually AP would have failed.  The RB made me realize we probably have co-infections (and I do) and sometimes to keep it going you need different abx. 

If it wasn't for the RB, I wouldn't have gone to the various Dr. Chat's people would post about and wouldn't have realized my stubborn RF was probably protozoan infection, and wouldn't have known how to deal with that. 

If it wasn't for the RB, I wouldn't have absorbed the info on various malabsorbtion problems, and wouldn't have realized my HBP was directly related to myco's 'cell jacking' needed nutrients which I've managed to address with research about supplementation. 

I've dodged a bullet many times and didn't even realize it.

Sue and Spacehoppa – don't settle, please.  I think that's a trap we can fall into.  It's not working fast enough or the improvement is glacial.  The body is an amazing thing, it knows what you need to heal, all you have to do is figure out what it wants.  I know of one woman who went Gluten free – and got worse.  Gluten wasn't her answer, no matter what her doctor said.  Others swear taking gluten out saved them.  Yes, it's hard to do some of the things we need to heal, but it's harder, much harder, to do the traditional meds.

If you ever doubt AP, I suggest you hang on a non-AP board.  Just lurk.  Track the people starting the regular meds.  And watch how long they last on them.  Watch them getting more and more 'severe' as their docs tell they now have more and more secondary diseases, and at the end, when they're out of options, telling them they have to 'learn to live with the pain'. 

Hugs,

Pip

PS – Joe, I know Michele had a great response to traditionals, but she's an exception.  All I'm saying is for them to lurk and come to their own decision.  I know when I watch it keeps me determined to keep AP going no matter what.

nspiker
    Participant

If it wasn't for the RB, I wouldn't have gone to the various Dr. Chat's people would post about and wouldn't have realized my stubborn RF was probably protozoan infection, and wouldn't have known how to deal with that.

If it wasn't for the RB, I wouldn't have absorbed the info on various malabsorbtion problems, and wouldn't have realized my HBP was directly related to myco's 'cell jacking' needed nutrients which I've managed to address with research about supplementation.

Pip,

What kind of protozoa infection did you have?  I remember Maz referring to someone with a protozoa infection, that impeded AP recovery until it was treated.   She may have been referring to you.  That is exactly why I am concerned about toxoplasmosis, because it is a protozoa infection, and left untreated, may be inhibiting my progress as well.  Can you tell me more about your situation?

I know malabsorbtion is an issue for me too, and have had elevated blood pressure at times (when it used to be really low) since becoming sick.  Can you give me some more information, and any recommendations of nutrients and supplements?  How did you know the myco was “cell jacking”?

The more I read about your amazing recovery, the more I can relate to you and how you handled your recovery.  It is inspiring, and like you I am going to find my own way.  Thanks for giving so much information, so that we can learn from your progress.

nancy

justsaynoemore
    Participant

Pip, congratulations.  I want to thank you for seeking me out on the other board that will not be named as I was posting about mycoplasms and high enema colonics under lupus as that was my current wrong diagnosis of the moment.  If you hadn't of contacted me, I would have found RB or AP.

I am now pver 2 years into AP and 13 months disease active-free.  I am not sick anymore, not fatigued anymore, nothing RA related hurts anymore.  I have other health problems, but my RA is under control and I am not drifting around in the wasteland of American medicine, being told that I am crazy and making up my RA pain for drugs.

So, go boogie boarding for me.  I am afraid my high heel days are way over, but they were fun.

Big huggles ~~ Cathy

suera
    Participant

Pip,
    I don't go on traditional arthritis websites for two reasons, 1. changed computers and don't know my password, for whatever reason they can't seem to reset it and won't issue new one because I have same email address and 2. they are soooo depressing! Prefer to come here where it is always hopeful and more informative.

Again, yeah on your feeling better!

Sue

Pip
    Participant

Nancy –  I have no idea what kind of protozoan infection I have, I'm just doing process of elimination.  I went to a Dr. Chat awhile back with Dr. A and no matter what anybody said, he was 'flagyl'.  OK, I'm joking here, but that was the distinct impression I got.  This was in response to people having certain markers not come down.  In my case, all my markers are normal now – my SED, ESR, CCP, whatever else you can think of, except my RF which is still sky high at 300+.  A couple other people I respected from the RB mentioned recalcitrant RFs which they treated with flagyl, and when I factored in my sushi intake (LOL) I'm like, makes sense! 

You are luckier than most of us as at least you know (some of) what you have.  On paper I look fantastic with just c pneumonia and strep to worry about.  But 3 years AP and a RF that's stuck in the 300's makes me think something else is going on. 

And to think when I found AP I was so convinced that 'science' and 'testing' would help me.  I remember John McD telling me 'what are you going to do if the testing comes up negative, are you still going to do AP?' and being stunned, absolutely stunned that that was even a possibility.  But I knew I would.  From that decision, and later on the RB, I realized the key to healing is the extrapolation of available data.  And oh, and this is going to take a lot longer than I originally thought based on what I did test positive for. 

So, I asked Dr. F about it and was told 'that's a anti-protozoan'.  A second doc said it was a different class.  And a third one said it was 'both a _______ and a antiprotozoan” and my knee jerk response was “gee, they don't even know what these meds do”. 

And now you know what my rheumy doesn't know about.  That flagyl sitting on the kitchen counter.  I feel I've waited long enough to start addressing this but he's more concerned with the Zith and the Mino and I've waited over a year for movement in the RF when everything else is 'normal'.  Which is not something I'd suggest to you as you haven't been on the protocol for very long at all and you have many more things that need to be addressed before you get to this point.  I do know I need to continue my research before I actually start it as I'm pretty sure it's way too many abx (one has to temporarily go) or the yeast is going to get even more of an upper hand.  And remember, I didn't test positive for anything – you did.

AP is a balancing act.  We do the best we can with research (I live on Pubmed), with our doctors, with our meds and with learning how to listen to our bodies. 

Possibly at your next AP appointment, you can ask the doc why he thinks dealing with the protozoan infection is not as important as the other stuff.  He'll tell you.  He explained, in detail, why he didn't think I should have the Clindy IV's.  I didn't agree with him at the time but 'complied'.  I'm glad I did. 

Have you thought about a cleanse?  Tons of info on the RB on the how's and why's and wherefore's of it and it might help you lower the infection while you deal with the other issues.

Ok, I'm late for running out the door – will come back and answer the malabsorption issue later this afternoon.

Cathy – thank you sweetie!

Sue – ain't that the truth!

Pip

Devie
    Participant

You sure were my hand holder!  I am so so thrilled that you are doing well.  You deserve every happiness- Devie

nspiker
    Participant

Pip,

You are luckier than most of us as at least you know (some of) what you have. On paper I look fantastic with just c pneumonia and strep to worry about. But 3 years AP and a RF that's stuck in the 300's makes me think something else is going on

Have you treated the Chlamydia Pneumonia, becausse that requires flagyl pulses and a host of other antibiotics? 

And now you know what my rheumy doesn't know about. That flagyl sitting on the kitchen counter. I feel I've waited long enough to start addressing this but he's more concerned with the Zith and the Mino and I've waited over a year for movement in the RF when everything else is 'normal'. Which is not something I'd suggest to you as you haven't been on the protocol for very long at all and you have many more things that need to be addressed before you get to this point. I do know I need to continue my research before I actually start it as I'm pretty sure it's way too many abx (one has to temporarily go) or the yeast is going to get even more of an upper hand. And remember, I didn't test positive for anything – you did.

Have you not started the flagyl pulses?  I think that in the case of Cpn, it is not used to fight a protozoa, but to kill off whatever the other antibiotics leave in their path.  Cpnhelp.org can explain better than me.  I know enough to be dangerous…

nancy

Pip
    Participant

Nancy –

No, all I have is a recently filled scrip from a doc who's really interested in AP as she has a patient that's lasted years on Minocin for Parkinsons.  I was about to start more indepth research prior to taking any when you started asking questions.  LOL

I've changed a lot from when I was newly diagnosed.  I remember Friend gently warning me to stop making all the changes every 3 minutes as I wouldn't know what was working and what wasn't.  She was right, as usual.  LOL  Now, I'm much more exact about what I put in my body, only one change at a time, and I have all the research to back it up before implementation.  When the opportunity for a scrip for flagyl presented itself, I took it, knowing I would be needing it. 

Unfortunately, I was not a science type prior to diagnosis and learning all this stuff still makes my head ache.  I was just so grateful for Dr. F that I never thought to question him (at that time, now I do – lol).  I assumed that the Mino was for the c pneumonia and the Zith was for the rising strep.  He is conservative in his treatment – making sure what's working is working, and what isn't, is changed, and that he has sufficient time to be sure what showed up on tests wasn't a fluke.  It's working so I can't complain but it sure sounds like you know more about which abx work for what.  Are you hanging out with Maz?  😉

As for the malabsorbtion – what I know started with Friend.  Oddly, when I finally figured out I had a potassium uptake problem (leg cramps) I added it in.  They went away but a few months later I started getting RLS.  It was about this time that I actually started researching ANYTHING I put in my body and running a search on the files I had, found a ton of stuff from Friend on magnesium deficiency syndrome.  Rereading it when I knew that was a problem was a lifeline. 

Researching cellular uptake showed me that magnesium/potassium/and calcium need to be in a ratio in the body.  And that most everything in the body is a 2 step process.  For example, you can have all the calcium in the world in your diet, (building blocks) but if it doesn't get from your bloodstream to your bones, well, say 'hello OA'.  It's how biphosphonates work.  Same with thyroid meds. 

Those are the Big 3 and judicious use of them can help fix a lot of whats wrong with us.  Again, the serum tests are junk, but hey, we're flying by the seat of our pants anyway, so I relied on slowly fiddling with the ratios. 

Those 3 determine blood pressure and since I was already on them, I didn't have HBP anymore.  When my BP spiked when I skipped my meds in January, I added in Hawthorne and COQ10.  I can probably stop them now but, hey, its working and the CoQ10 has other beneficial properties, so, I chose to stay on it. 

Vitamin K (which I test perfect for) is responsible for veins and processing a lot of nutrients out of our food.  I'm still deciding on what to do about that because of how I tested.  I don't want to do anything drastic as that can really set us back but I'm leaning towards supplementing because, again, the tests are junk anyway, and I'm becoming convinced that's a major problem for me. 

I'd start with those as they're the main ones.  B-12 can help with energy.  I'd take a B complex but folic acid can let myco's run free.  I don't like THAT at all. 

As for cell-jacking – I've seen the research.  Most of it centers in the HPA axis – like adrenaline amps myco's 200%.  When I read that, I was like, no wonder stress effects us – it makes them stronger!  This had been posted here before –

http://www.med.umich.edu/opm/newspage/2007/microbes.htm

They tunnel in, take what they want, and while they're in, co-opt communications.  In war, what's the first thing you do?  Disrupt communications and cut supply lines.  JMHO.

Ok, did I answer everything?

Hugs,

Pip

PS – We have to think like Galaxy Quest – “Never give up, never surrender!”

PSS – I'll look for the cell jacking studies and post them if I can find them.

PSPS – Devie!

nspiker
    Participant

Pip,

I think you were on to something when your gut was telling you to use flagyl.  How nice that you have a scrip ready and waiting…..

Check out http://www.cpnhelp.org/treatment_protocols

Thank you for all of the information on malabsorption.  I will have to take some time to absorb (play on words) it all.  I don't know how you understand things like cellular uptake and cell jacking.

I completely agree that you have to take things one step at a time, to insure what is, and is not beneficial.

I've got to take my daughter to school…will get back later.
    nancy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘ 3 years + some on AP’ is closed to new replies.