Home Forums General Discussion Minocin no longer available it seems

Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Angelina
    Participant

I just called a few more pharmacies — Osco and Target (now CVS) both preferred pharmacies for my insurance coverage. Neither of them can get it. However, CVS freestanding pharmacy checked their supplier and there are 3 bottles available. Since CVS is not a preferred pharmacy, my cost is more, $1240. instead of $976. at Walgreen’s. I had them order it and will just hope that they will receive it.(Strange that CVS in Target can not get it, but CVS — freestanding pharmacy can get it.) Maybe Valeant will have supplied the pharmacy sources here in New England with the drug by the time I need it again.
    Thank you, Richie. I will contact you about your pharmacist information.

lemons
    Participant

Been trying to get minocin in uk but struggling. Tried local pharmacies & online. Anyone in uk any pointers as to where to go?

Hello Cath,
    There is an online company in the UK called Pharmacy 2U .They currently have Minocin MR in stock, a box of 56 caps for £25 plus P&P. You will need to provide them with a prescription, and on receipt, they send you the order.

Cathlo
    Participant

Hi Lemons, I tried them but they just returned my prescription saying it was out of stock. Really really reluctant to try another but not sure any choice

2013 Poor gut & low white blood cells. Jan 2014 RA symptoms. Diet - no gluten/dairy/nightshades/sugar. Started AP in Oct 2014. On Mino MTWTF. RA improved but still there. Many supplements.

lemons
    Participant

Hi Lemons, I tried them but they just returned my prescription saying it was out of stock. Really really reluctant to try another but not sure any choice

Did you get prescription from Dr E ? If you did, then you could give him a ring and explain the situation. Maybe a hospital pharmacy would have some in stock. Did you try Dr Fox online pharmacy ?

CMS12
    Participant

Hi All – I’ve been meaning to report back in on how I’ve done on Torrent Minocycline that Express Scripts shipped in lieu of Minocin. I am pleased to report that within a week of starting Torrent I could tell it was working. I knew it was working as well as Minocin because while waiting for that prescription for nearly four weeks I had been taking the Watson I still had and was declining. So now I’m significantly on the mend again and pleased to know that the 180 capsules I have of Torrent will work.

In the meantime though I had called my doctor right away when I received Torrent instead of Minocin. Their office went to battle with Express Script for Minocin and I just received 180 Minocin this week. So now I have 360 capsules of antibiotic. Since I only take 200 mg. on MWF these will last me over a year. Woo hoo! My script for Minocin is approved for another refill in October per Express Scripts. I’d like to refill it and stockpile but I know once it is expired it may be dangerous. Any suggestions such as refrigeration to prolong its life would be appreciated.

Finally, the cost for 180 Minocin was $6,695.58 of which I paid $349.78.

CMS12
    Participant

Angelina – I failed to respond to your posts and my situation applies to you directly as well as answering some of your questions. When I first lost Minocin I was not yet on Medicare and my health insure denied it due to cost. I qualified for Medicare last November and assumed I could never get Minocin approved. I didn’t pursue it for that reason and continued on Watson until I saw my doctor in February. My doctor got it approved through Medicare right away as they told my Medicare insurer that it was the only Minocycline brand that worked for me. So, yes Medicare will approve it and pay for it. My costs were only $349.78 but I’m not in the donut hole. If you are in the donut hole your costs will be higher as you know. I hope this helps you. If you have any questions please feel free to pm me or post here.

As for getting it I did find it available but only through Express Scripts. I could not get it from any local pharmacies such as CVS, Rite-Aid, Walgreens, etc. I know it’s available because I have it now from Express Scripts but they are my mail order pharmacy under my Medicare plan. I’m not sure who you have to use or if you can use Express Scripts. If not, I think Richie’s suggestion is a good one. His pharmacist may be able to ship to you.

Cindy

Nikkoal
    Participant

So glad to hear the Torrent pills are working for you. Those are the gray and while capsules, correct? Says RX696 on capsule, Formerly Ranbaxy? All of these company changes are confusing me. I’m pretty new to this, been on Actavis (Watson) for 2 months.

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

I was just reading the Inspire site and saw that some people there get their meds from the U.K and like this pharmacy very much.No time right now to check it out so maybe someone here can take a look at Inhouse Pharmacy

Cathlo
    Participant

HI Lynne, I just had a look at Inhouse Pharmacy and they have Minocycline(called Mino Tabs on the packet) and Minomycin both by Sigma Pharmaceuticals. Search for Minocin comes up blank. I am in the UK, and tried Pharmacy UK online & Dr Fox – neither have it. My local phamacy is recommending this: Acnamino – anyone know anything about it?
    Lemons – i have sent a note to the lovely Dr Econs but he is away til August – not that I am expecting him to have any answers.

2013 Poor gut & low white blood cells. Jan 2014 RA symptoms. Diet - no gluten/dairy/nightshades/sugar. Started AP in Oct 2014. On Mino MTWTF. RA improved but still there. Many supplements.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Cathlo
    The Mino Tabs are a generic form of minocycline. Minomycin is a brand – it used to be the brand in Australia until Sigma sold the rights to Aspen a couple of years back. But I think Sigma still own the brand in South Africa. I took Minomycin very successfully for 4.5 years and my AP Doctor has said that is THE only one to take here in Australia. And it would be the same worldwide – orange coated tablets. That would be the one I’d be taking if I was in your position.

Acnamino – I’m not sure about this one, but it sounds like a generic version of Aknemin. You can ask your local pharmacy (they are obliged to tell you) whether it’s a generic or a brand. The main reason pharmacies recommend certain meds is that they make much more money on generics and they cost governments who subsidise meds a very great deal less to fund – so patients often get pushed in the generic direction.

Hope this helps some!

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

lemons
    Participant

Hello Cath,
    The “lovely” Dr E is bloody hopeless. You know that I have not been to the clinic for nearly two years. I am meant to be one of his patients, but I have not received any communication from him whatsoever. Not even to inquire about my current state of health, or even if I wish to remain on his books.
    How much money does an email cost ?
    I have a friend that works for BA, and he is a terrible hypochondriac.He spends most of his free break time perusing the shelves of European pharmacies between flights. I will ask him to look for Minocin MR. If he gets lucky , I will send them to you like I did before.
    N x

CMS12
    Participant

Hi Nikkoal – Yes they are the gray and white capsules that say RX696 (formerly Ranbaxy). They do seem to be working. Very happy I found an alternative to Minocin.

It’s seems everyone is different. I know Teva and Watson have worked fine for some here, but did not work for me.

Good luck to you on your AP journey.

Cathlo
    Participant

Hi Nancy, ‘lovely’ was mightily sarcastic – he would be a nice as someone else’s slightly forgetful uncle, but as a doc… he started recommending some parasite treatment for me that we had already tried (at great expense & failure)… he could at least have read my notes. I feel lucky that I am doing well and not relying on him for intricate treatment – but I am still think the minocin is doing good, so loathe to switch if i can help it. SO YES Nancy if your hypochondriac friend does perchance upon some Minocin I would be very greatful. I have a prescription if that is any use?
    Thanks cx

lemons
    Participant

Morning Cath, no need for a prescription. One of the pharmacies is in Barcelona , they sell anything with no prescription. He came back last time with boxes of Tramadol, and enough little blue diamond shaped tablets to have half the male population in the UK standing to attention…….
    One last suggestion, have you tried euro Clinix (online pharmacy) ? I have just logged in and filled a question page saying I have adult acne, got right up to the checkout part , then logged off. They seem to have Meda Minocin MR in stock ,box of 56 caps for £69. When you get to the bit that asks you to download an image of your acne , skip that part , its an optional question.
    N x

Cathlo
    Participant

Thanks Lemons, just checked out 56 capsules from euro clinix – paid, but then same old story- order cancelled as it is not in stock. Just spoke to someone there, and they said if it was anywhere they would have it. The man I spoke to was hopeful it would be back in stock by beginning of Sept but not entirely sure he knows anything. Now that I have put in an online order for acne medication, I am expecting my facebook/amazon side ads to offer me some topical cures… cx

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.