Home Forums General Discussion Minocin no longer available it seems

Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    CMS12
    Participant

Hi All – I’ve reported on my two year saga with Minocin. I had gone into remission for about 5 years while on it but was switched to generic Teva two and a half years ago and rapidly declined. Then I got it again for about six months and was getting better but when Valeant bought it and hiked the price my insurance denied it. I was switched to Watson and again rapidly declined. Six months passed and I became Medicare eligible. I secured Minocin again last February and after 4 months I again started to improve. Then two weeks ago Walgreens told me they could no longer get it. They said it had been discontinued. I called Valeant and they said they were still manufacturing it with no backlog. They could not point me to a pharmacy to help so I called every chain pharmacy in my city (CVS, Rite-Aid, King Soopers/Kroeger, Wal-Mart) and none could secure it. I then called Express Scripts for mail order and they assured me they could get it and ship it. I called them several times to confirm they were shipping Minocin and the said they were. I just received it and it’s Torrent generic.

So back to square one but I read this forum a lot and it seems many have found Torrent or at least the Ranbaxy it was before Torrent has worked for them. My question is do you who take it just like Minocin which I was taking MWF 100 mg. x 2? I know with some of the other generics you have to increase the dose. I’m just hoping it works for me. I have a call into Express Scripts to see if I can get Minocin but in the 2 weeks I’ve been off of it I’m already noticing a decline so I’m thinking I should try the Torrent.

Thanks everyone for your help. Cindy

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Cindy,

The dose should be no different than Minocin. What do the Torrent capsules look like, and what is written on them?

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

CMS12
    Participant

Hi Phil – Thanks for letting me know. They are gray and white capsules and have RX696 ( I can read the RX but the numbers are hard to read so that may not be the exact numbers).

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Cindy,

Based on your description, those are most likely the same as the Ranbaxy 100 mg capsules.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

Angelina
    Participant

I have been taking minocin for over 15 years and have no stiffness and hardly any joint pain. I feel “normal.” Last year when I renewed prescription I was in the donut hole and paid $1000.
    Today I went to Walgreen’s and the cost of 60 pills is $2900. (no insurance). United Health granted me an exception last year, so I’m hoping they will again although my price will be over $1000. However, the pharmacist at Walgreen’s said that I can get Solodyn and with a coupon from Valeant I will pay less than $100. BUT when I went on line to get the coupon, I found out if you’re over 65 you are not eligible. Then I went to the web site for Solodyn and found out that Solodyn treats acne, should be taken no longer than 12 weeks and it is not known whether it’s effective to treat infections! I went to the FDA site and found out Solodyn is not approved to treat infections. If that’s the case, then how can it work for RA? or any other bacterial infection?
    I’ve written to my Congressman and Senator, wrote to the Senators who had the hearing where Valeant and other companies were called in to explain their price increases. Valeant was supposed to have a program with Walgreen’s for brand name medication, but now I find it’s not for the brand name Minocin, but for Solodyn. I’ve tried generics, but they’re filled with powder (usually died an ugly mustard yellow) and it made me nauseous within 1 hour. I’m looking for alternatives and would appreciate any suggestions. I’m seeing my rheumatologist Friday and will hope that United Health approves the medication. Medicare said if it’s the only medication that works, then insurance company has to approve it. Does anyone have any experience with that?

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Solodyn is one of the many names for minocycline. This version is marketed to treat acne. But it IS the antibiotic minocycline. The use of any antibiotic is always described by the manufacturer or distributor in the short-term to treat acute conditions. Minocycline’s use in the treatment of rheumatic diseases has always been an off-label use of the drug.

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Angelina,

I’ve tried generics, but they’re filled with powder (usually died an ugly mustard yellow) and it made me nauseous within 1 hour.

The powder in generic minocycline capsules is not dyed — that’s the natural color of minocycline. If you were to take your mino with a little food, it would be much easier on your stomach. Except for a couple of times that I took it on an empty stomach, minocycline has never made me nauseous.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

richie
    Participant

Hi What is your illness –if its rheumatoid arthritis you have a very difficult fight with the insurance company to convince them about covering minocin brand –it is a bit easier for scleroderma since there still really isnt any other effective treatment for it –you have to be persistent with the insurance people on the phone –they will send a questionaire to your doctor –what he says will really determine if they will cover it –you have to be forceful with the doctor as well as the insurance company —If you have scleroderma -contact me and I can give you some compelling points to make !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

richie
    Participant

Hi Insurance companies are being very difficult in approving the brand minocin especially fo RA and PSA for the following reason —According to the NIH –A years supply of Enbrel is 15350. Humira 18046 –and Remicade 21086 —-they can make a strong case for effectiveness of these meds —-Now minocin brand at 200 mg daily –thats 730 capsules yearly at 48.00 per capsule comes to 34,040 retail for the year Wholesale is about 38 a capsule –substantially more than biologics —Now with scleroderma -a patient can make a better case for the brand since there still really isnt any other effective drug to treat it –and the mortality statistics have not really improved for the past 15 years or so –Its still a big tussle but a bit more winnable than obtaining minocin for RA or PSA

Angelina
    Participant

Thanks to all who replied to my post about minocin and Solodyn.
    To answer Richie’s question, I have Rheumatoid Arthritis. Minocin used to be covered under my Part D plan, but as of last year it was not. However, United Health covered it last year after my doctor asked for an exception to the formulary since minocin, the brand, was the only drug that worked. I’ll find out if they will cover it this year when he contacts them again. If not, then I guess I’ll go back to trying the various generics that previously did not work or made me ill. I used to get my prescription filled at buylowdrugs.com and may try them again, but with a generic. I’m curious about the tablets. Is Minocin MR made in Canada or England?
    I did find a Good Rx Discount Drug Coupon that says I can get a discounted price of $1,686.63 for 60 minocin 100 mg capsules at Walgreen’s, but I don’t know if they will actually give it to me for that price.

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Excuse the language but HOLY SHIT!!!! I just got my Teva (generic) here in Canada, 120caps for 72.65 before insurance.Paid just under 17$

Cathlo
    Participant

Been trying to get minocin in uk but struggling. Tried local pharmacies & online. Anyone in uk any pointers as to where to go?

2013 Poor gut & low white blood cells. Jan 2014 RA symptoms. Diet - no gluten/dairy/nightshades/sugar. Started AP in Oct 2014. On Mino MTWTF. RA improved but still there. Many supplements.

Maz
    Keymaster

Been trying to get minocin in uk but struggling. Tried local pharmacies & online. Anyone in uk any pointers as to where to go?

Cathlo, I think the brand name, Aknemin, is what those in UK often will take, though other brand names should be available. The British Formulary site lists different medication brands but am unable to access it from the US.

https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/21239

Are you having trouble finding any brand, even generic minocycline?

Angelina
    Participant

Hi,
    My insurance company has approved coverage of brand name pelletized minocin. That’s the good news. I dropped off my prescription as Walgreen’s and received a call saying that minocin from manufacturer Valeant was not available. I might become available in August — but no guarantee. Pharmacist suggested I try other pharmacies who have different suppliers. I’ve tried Stop & Shop and Walmart and neither one of their supplies have it. Does anyone know if minocin is still being made?
    Walmart said their generics are Orabindo and Aukare which I have never heard of. Does anyone know about these generics?
    I will try CVS but don’t feel hopeful.

richie
    Participant

Hi It most certainly is being made -since your insurance is covering it –by no means settle for any generic –if you want I will give you my pharmacist info –you can call him if you wish and arrange for a mail situation –my email rstone@optonline.net –richie

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.