Home Forums General Discussion Zinc Supplement

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    hotspur2904
    Participant

I've recently started taking triple zinc as a supplement.

Today I read that some metal supplements have an inhibiting effect but I couldnt find any mention of zinc.

Does anyone know if zinc can reduce the effects of antibiotics?

Simon 

Christina V
    Participant

Hi Simon, my naturopath also has me on zinc and she works hand in hand with my AP doctor……so I guess(for me at least) it must be ok, or I'm sure my doc would say no!Cheers, Christina

vinny
    Participant

Simon

According AP frequently asked questions:

None of the antibiotics in the tetracycline family should be taken at the same time with calcium supplements, including dairy products, or with any other mineral such as magnesium, iron, etc. which have the same chemical valance as calcium.

Zinc has a valance of +2 the same as calcium. I try to take my Minocycline on an empty stomach away from when I take my fistful of other supplement. I would try to space supplements away from the Minocycline, but not stop anything that I thought was helpful

vinny

Psoriatic Arthritis: 100mg Minoz Minocycline TABLET daily; twice daily 400mg Pentoxifylline;125mcg Levotyroxine: Have been using some level of Minocycline since 2008

hotspur2904
    Participant

Hi Christina and Vinny, thanks for coming back to me.  I'm now going to take my mino with a diclofenac first thing in the morning, without food and the fist full of supplements with lunch.

I've never taken lots of drugs before and I now have to carry a bag around with me.  I also have countless reminders that pop up on my pc and iphone.

I didnt think I would ever have a “man bag” but still you have to keep smiling!

Take care

S

Trudi
    Participant

[user=1526]hotspur2904[/user] wrote:

I've recently started taking triple zinc as a supplement.

Today I read that some metal supplements have an inhibiting effect but I couldnt find any mention of zinc.

Does anyone know if zinc can reduce the effects of antibiotics?

Hi Simon–

I don't know how much zinc you are taking, but here is an excerpt from an article cautioning about taking too much:

“An overdose of zinc can lead to a weakened immune system, vomiting, headache, and fatigue. Very high exposure to zinc, which occurs in some industries, may contribute to the development of prostate cancer. High zinc doses over long periods may increase the risk of urinary tract problems, including infections.

Taking 150 milligrams to 450 milligrams of zinc per day is linked to low copper levels, anemia, poor immune function, low levels of “good” cholesterol, and changes in the way iron works in the body. Zinc can reduce the body?s ability to absorb antibiotics, copper, and iron. Other potential interactions between zinc and other drugs and herbs should be considered. Always tell your doctor and pharmacist about any supplements or herbs you are taking

The National Institutes of Health say that an adult should not take in more than 40 milligrams of zinc per day from foods and supplements. Zinc overdose can occur with a single overdose or by taking too much zinc over a longer period of time. A zinc overdose can cause severe nausea and vomiting within half an hour, and at least one death has been reported due to kidney failure. “

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/ETO/content/ETO_5_3X_Zinc.asp?sitearea=ETO

My LLMD has me take the “zinc taste test” every time I have an appointment.  I was deficient at the original appointment a year ago, was on supplements for one month, and have not been deficient in zinc since then.

Best to you,

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

Maz
    Keymaster

I've never taken lots of drugs before and I now have to carry a bag around with me.  I also have countless reminders that pop up on my pc and iphone.

Simon, it's great to hear you're getting in touch with your feminine side :dude:…”man bags” rock!  :roll-laugh:

Peace, Maz

hotspur2904
    Participant

Thanks Trudi for the info! I'm taking 4 triple zinc capsules a day which is the equivalent to just over 40mg which is the recommended maximum daily dose. I dont feel nauseous with this dose so I'm going to stick with it for a few weeks until my follow up with the kinesiologist.

I just wish I knew if I am on the right track. I've never felt in so much constant pain and I don't know whether this is because I've stopped the dmards or the steroid injections or whether I'm just herxing!

Still tomorrow's another day.

Thanks again Trudi

S

PS Maz…… Man bags dont rock and anyway mine looks more like a pencil case. 🙂

Maz
    Keymaster

PS Maz…… Man bags dont rock and anyway mine looks more like a pencil case. 🙂

In that case, Simon, you're off the hook. You could have been in for a bit of ribbing…only in the spirit of friendly jest, of course. 😉 Mind you, does your pencil case come with optional shoulder strap tucked inside? Sorry, am in the middle of some mindless, light reading for a change…Bridget Jones's Diary…and I think it's rubbing off. :roll-laugh:

Hang in there, Simon…the first few months were the roughest for me, too.

Peace, Maz

Trudi
    Participant

I'm taking 4 triple zinc capsules a day which is the equivalent to just over 40mg which is the recommended maximum daily dose.

I just wish I knew if I am on the right track. I've never felt in so much constant pain and I don't know whether this is because I've stopped the dmards or the steroid injections or whether I'm just herxing!

Hi Simon–

Your dose of zinc sounds just fine.  Just had me a little worried when I read you were taking “triple zinc”–

To your pain, I bet it's a combination of stopping the dmards and the herxing.  Everytime I see my LLMD (which is every 2 months) I feel just miserable with the new treatment.  Everything gets stirred up and the die-off causes a lot of grief.  This past weekend I took care of my 8 month old grandson (about 20#'s).  I did end up doubling my pain meds to help out; quite frankly, it makes everything more tolerable, but doesn't get rid of the pain entirely. 

I do think you are on the right track.  You are at the early stages and this treatment is not a quick fix.

Good luck to you–I hope you will find relief soon–

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

richie
    Participant

Hi

Zinc supplementation will most certainly reduce the absorption of minocycline –its all over the internet –that is why many doctors suggest taking nothing for two hours before of two hours after taking the minocycline –there are many many reasons for folks not responding and using this two hour window reduces at least one reason —

richie

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘ Zinc Supplement’ is closed to new replies.