Home Forums General Discussion Yeast issues

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    lynnie_sydney
    Participant

The attached is a pdf report from the Mercola site. It contains some very useful info and interesting perspectives on yeast problems and leaky gut. Lynnie

http://mercola.fileburst.com/PDF/Candida-Special-Report.pdf 

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

tainabell
    Participant

I love Dr. Mercola and his site (although you have to take everything with a grain of salt, of course).  A girl I know who also had chronic hives went to a doctor associated with Mercola in Chicago, and he put her hives into remission.  Ever since then, I've been reading his site diligently. 

Here's my problem with this yeast thing.  My doctor gave me guidelines for yeast prevention.  It was a “yeast and mold elimination” diet and this is what is said I shouldn't eat:

alcohol, vinegar, cheese, bread, crackers and pretzels, yeast extract (found in soy sauce, miso soup, malt, breakfast cereals), mushrooms, nuts, seeds, beans, fruits, chocolate, coffee, tea, smoked meats and fish, bacon, sausage and lunch meats, anything with added sugar, corn syrup, corn sweetener, dextrose, fructose, honey, or maple syrup, fruit preserves….

AHHHH!  How could anyone stay on a diet like this?  Now, I'm just noticing that this diet is a “yeast and mold” elimination diet?  Maybe the mold part is making it much, much, more difficult to follow?  Does anyone have a suggestion for a simple yeast-free diet?

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

alcohol, vinegar, cheese, bread, crackers and pretzels, yeast extract (found in soy sauce, miso soup, malt, breakfast cereals), mushrooms, nuts, seeds, beans, fruits, chocolate, coffee, tea, smoked meats and fish, bacon, sausage and lunch meats, anything with added sugar, corn syrup, corn sweetener, dextrose, fructose, honey, or maple syrup, fruit preserves….

Tainabell – I pretty well dont eat any of the above with the exception of some occasional alcohol (Ciroc vodka deemed okay for me as there's no grain in it). I eat a gluten and dairy-free bread that's been okayed for me. I eat Tamari instead of normal soy. I drink brewed or espresso coffee only (deemed okay). I eat a little fresh goat cheese (deemed okay). Never touch preserved meats – lots of additives, including sulphites which are sooooo bad for you. Eat fresh seafood and meats (except pork). Occasionally eat things like gluten and dairy-free banana bread (which does have sugar, sigh). And all-fruit pectin jams deemed okay. Dont touch mushrooms now or anything in that family.

You will be surprised what you are able to get in terms of substitutes – as well, of course, as buying fresh instead of preserved. Even your local supermarket will surprise you. However, as you're in NY, you'll have Whole Foods (and probably other outlets) to support your change of diet should you decide to try it. Lynnie  

Be well! Lynnie

rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

tainabell
    Participant

I think I may just be a little rebellious right now about diet stuff.  You're so right – it is possible to cut all these things out of my diet, I just don't really WANT to.  A lot of these things are comfort foods for me right now.  Especially coffee.  My morning coffee is the one stable thing in my life. 

This probally sounds corny, but I am seriously emotional over this whole issue.  Giving up certain foods makes me want to cry just thinking about it.  I've tried the gluten free/dairy free diet, the no-processed foods diet, have cut out all sodas (used to be a Diet Coke ADDICT), and have tried to increase my vegetable intake.  But every time I cut one of these things out, I find myself just wanted to binge on fried chocolate chip cookie dough desserts and french fries dipped in ice cream. 

I've a normal sized girl, not overweight, and have really never had too much problem with diet, but limiting things makes me crazy!  I think part of the problem is that having an illness comes with a big emotional toll as well – its like I have these problems with my fingers and now I can't play guitar and sometimes my knees act up and its hard to walk well, and I'm sick a lot of the time and tired and can't do things other normal people do and now someone wants me to sacrifice something else to this stupid disease?  I know thats not what elimination diets are, that's just how it feels to me right now.

Just ranting…not really for any reason.  I know I'll come around to it soon enough!  I think it will just take some patience…. 

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Yes, you're right. All in good time. Took me 5 years (and great success on mino alone BTW) to realise there was more lurking – and to decide to take a next step. Let me know if I can be of help…. anytime in the future. Lynnie

PS BTW, I found I was craving food and constantly hungry when I was about 3 months into the new way of eating. My AP doc said it was because I was getting hidden gluten from somewhere. I was – and as soon as I stopped it, the cravings ceased. 

Be well! Lynnie

Kim
    Participant

[user=854]tainabell[/user] wrote:

I think I may just be a little rebellious right now about diet stuff.  You're so right – it is possible to cut all these things out of my diet, I just don't really WANT to.  A lot of these things are comfort foods for me right now.  Especially coffee.  My morning coffee is the one stable thing in my life. 

Funny about the coffee.  I've made lots of changes, that I'm not happy about BTW, and still need to make more. :X  The coffee though is another matter….that gets personal.  I've told my doctors I'm still going to have my one cup in the morning, and they can't stop me. 😛  Being a reasonable person, however, I have given up my one cup in the afternoon.  One thing I've learned to enjoy is a cup of hot water (in a nice mug) with a big wedge of lemon.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Interestingly, I'm allowed coffee (fewer salicylates than tea) but only percolated/espresso. No instant, except Moccona (Doawe Egbert I think called in the UK/US) which is actually freeze dried real coffee and doesnt use wheat in the processing.  Lynnie 

Be well! Lynnie

Sierra
    Participant

I NEVER thought I'd give up coffee. Like you, I loved it. It was a great way to start the day and to focus on projects at work. I got a beautiful lift in the afternoon when the energy got low. Not to mention the flavor, the smell, the coffee shops! But I sit here now, writing this as I sip my morning cup of black tea. I'll have more at work, and then I'll have a cup of green tea after dinner. I'm still getting a little help from caffeine, but not the jolt. I smelled stinky coffee breath on a store clerk last night and was glad I don't have that anymore. It's a process. No need to force anything. For me the key to making dietary changes was having good substitutes (dried fruit instead of candy, tasty gluten-free and dairy-free products, etc.). All the best to you! IT IS POSSIBLE without too much pain. But again, refining the diet is a process that can take years. Start with the worst offenders. Keep the coffee for now.

Sierra

Sierra
    Participant

That is fascinating!

S,

Mumof3
    Participant

[user=40]Kim[/user] wrote:

[user=854]tainabell[/user] wrote:

Rockin Annie
    Participant

Hi Tainabell,

You remind me of years back when I used to go out with my girfriend for lunch, and she would order salad with half an advocado, I would order chips and diet coke :roll-laugh:.

Oh my goodness I have come a long way, it took me years to eat healthy with lots of miss haps, just the thought of a salad for lunch yuk!. but as Lynnie said the more you try the easier it becomes, once you put your mind to it, don't give everything up at once, thats impossible!. Take it slow and you will eventually get there.

Lynnie, a question, are you allowed apple cider vinegar on your diet, it was recommended by my naturopath ……..Annie

Diagnosed with RA in 2004, after trying many conventional meds I changed to mino.
    2015 changed to doxy 50mgs
    2016 went off doxy, after getting double pneumonia and massive flare put myself on 250 mgs Zith & 50 mgs doxy, which I will increase slowly.
    Supps, magnesium, NAC, vit c, krill oil, oregano oil, thisylin, turmeric, olive leaf extract, vit B, multi vit.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Annie – absolutely not. No vinegar whatsoever, incredibly high in salicylates. I actually did try organic apple cider vinegar (with the mother ) before this dietary change and  experienced no difference. I'd heard about it before being very good for RA. 

Be well! Lynnie

tainabell
    Participant

[user=807]Rockin Annie[/user] wrote:

Hi Tainabell,

You remind me of years back when I used to go out with my girfriend for lunch, and she would order salad with half an advocado, I would order chips and diet coke :roll-laugh:.

Ha!  Annie, that's so true.  Except with me it was a McDonald's meal with a diet coke…I am cutting back though.  No more McDonalds for me and DEFINITELY no sodas!  I'm off those for good I think. 

By the way, was it someone on this site who sent me Karina the Gluten-Free Goddess' website?  It is AMAZING.  I have cooked a bunch of meals from it and I always feel like I'm a goddess super wife when I put down these healthy/delicious meals for my hubby. 

Here's the link for those who missed it before….

http://karinasrecipes.blogspot.com/

One more thing.  I've substituted my afternoon coffee for a chamomile tea.  Not quite the same “pick-me-up” effect, but its lovely to have a little tea with honey around 4 o'clock. 

I go back to my AP doctor in a week, so I'll talk to her about finding a balance between eliminating everything and eliminating in modern. 

Rockin Annie
    Participant

[user=30]lynnie_sydney[/user] wrote:

Annie – absolutely not. No vinegar whatsoever, incredibly high in salicylates. I actually did try organic apple cider vinegar (with the mother ) before this dietary change and  experienced no difference. I'd heard about it before being very good for RA. 

Lynnie thanks, saves me some money I and really didn't fancy it, looks awful with all that slime floating around, I will stick to oliveoil/lemon for dressing…………Annie

Diagnosed with RA in 2004, after trying many conventional meds I changed to mino.
    2016 went off doxy, after getting double pneumonia and massive flare put myself on 250 mgs Zith & 50 mgs doxy, which I will increase slowly.
    Supps, magnesium, NAC, vit c, krill oil, oregano oil, thisylin, turmeric, olive leaf extract, vit B, multi vit.

Rockin Annie
    Participant

Hi Tainabell,

I love Karina's site too, I picked it up from here as well, and like you cook some yummy meals.

Haven't experimented with tea yet, I tend to stick to green, but I will in the future.

Take care, and no Maccas :roll-laugh:………………Annie

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘ Yeast issues’ is closed to new replies.