Home Forums General Discussion wrist questions

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    swollen
    Participant

I posted my experience at the doctors office today and I was disappointed in the advice he had.  But if anyone reads this, can you tell me if you were ever told that the space in your wrist joint is abnormally small and what does this mean?  I probably could have asked the doctor but I didn't because it seemed he was all for wrist fusion surgury.  He also said I should be seeing  Rheumatologist because I should be on the medication, which I didn't want to do.  The nurse also said I shouldn't think this is nothing and it will get worse if I don't see one of those doctors.  I think maybe because they don't have something like this that they don't know how a patient feels.  Also they didn't know that I had done my own reading up on what I have and I am taking AP for it.  Any thoughts?

Kim
    Participant

Hi swollen,

All I can go by is my personal experience, and based on that, would NOT consent to any surgery at this time. 

Early on one of my first symptoms was carpal tunnel pain in both wrists, so bad I couldn't turn the ignition key in my car.  All of my large and small joints were so painful I couldn't roll over in bed without major effort and pain, but I noticed one day it would be shoulders, then move on to neck, hips, knees, ankles, etc., so where would you even begin addressing them individually. 😯  ALL of that is better now following antibiotic treatment without any surgical intervention.  Frequent use of the sauna has does wonders in that area too.

Take care…..kim

Maz
    Keymaster

Swollen, so sorry to hear you had to go through this traumatic experience. I'm a little sensitive to how people are told they have a rheumatic disease and the way this doc “informed” you (even though you knew you had RA already) while in a situation of some stress was unconscienable. Thank goodness you have your head screwed on the right way and didn't fall for his mean-spirited scare tactics.

Before looking into any type of surgery, see if you can research Prolotherapy. This is having amazing results for this kind of nodule/cyst. As it's on top of your wrist, it sounds a bit like a ganglion cyst, but just speculation on my part. If it is that, then it's harmless and sometimes they go away on their own, too.

The search box above is very handy to look up past discussion threads on these topics. Just use the key words, “wrist fusion,” and “prolotherapy,” and you will find others who you can PM to ask about this…or they may see this thread and share their experiences of prolotherapy with you. I believe both Patti and Susan have tried this therapy with some success. Susan was also concerned that she might need a wrist fusion a couple years ago, but I don't think it ever came to pass. 🙂

Peace, Maz

swollen
    Participant

Yes -Maz,   I didn't like how the doctor was talking to me.  And while he was trying to pull the fluid out, he said something like  look at this, the fluid is too thick to get into the needle, he then pulled a little out and poked around about 5 times and then blood went into the needle so he pulled out the needle.  So I still have 1 inch bump on my wrist and was charged  $500 for this but I have insurance but still this wasn't worth  $500, $300 for the office visit and $200 for the draining  (which he called aspiration) totally the $500 for what?   And since the fluid was so thick and hardly any was drained my wrist is the same as when I went in.  Did any one else have a bump with fluid so thick that it couldn't  be drained?  I guess I have to keep the bump for now, unless it goes away on its own. 

Merla
    Participant

Hi swollen,

Among my earliest symptoms too was carpal tunnel in both wrists. I wore wrist braces on both hands and I couldn't sleep at night because of the pain and numbness. I couldn't use my hands or wrists during the day because of pain and numbness. Finally my first, last and ex- rhuematologist (who was also a sports doctor) suggested that he give shots in my wrists and I actually let him inject some cortisone into both wrists. I was desparate. I was very lucky that it helped. I don't think that I would dare to that again now that I understand what the cause of all the swelling was. BUT I was in pain, and I was lucky it helped at the time.

Merla

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘ wrist questions’ is closed to new replies.