Home Forums General Discussion will I get yeast infections?? :(

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    ekrueger
    Participant

Hi everybody,

I'm new here. Don't have RA or any symptoms yet just positive anti-CCP (long story as to how I found this out). Just started taking 100 mg of minocycline M W F as prophylaxis care. How big of a problem are yeast infections with this medication?? I know it is an antibiotic so there is that risk but I thought that maybe since I'll only take it 3 x/wk, the risk would be low. I was also wondering how in the heck many of you guys have taken it for years at a time. Should I be taking some type of supplement to prevent yeast infections like a probiotic formula?? If so, do you have any recommendations as to a certain brand or type to look for? I don't eat dairy so yogurt is not an option for me. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you all!!

Liz

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=1992]ekrueger[/user] wrote:

Should I be taking some type of supplement to prevent yeast infections like a probiotic formula?? If so, do you have any recommendations as to a certain brand or type to look for?

Liz, so nice to see you posting here!

I'm sure others will chime in with their favorite brand of probiotic for you, but yes…very important to take a daily probiotic and to space it well away from your antibiotic dose by at least a two hour window. Antibiotics will interrupt the natural flora/fauna balance in the gut, so chasing your dose a couple hours later with a good quality probiotic replaces the good fauna so the flora (yeasts) cannot get the upper hand.

I've been on high doses of antibiotics for 3 years and haven't had a single yeast infection. I've been using PB8 probiotics (8 capsules per day – 4 two hours after my am antibiotic and 4 two hours after my evening antibiotic). People who pulse dose their antibiotics sometimes just do their probiotics on their days off, but I just figure it's better to take it daily…and those who take daily antibiotics don't have the “luxury” of choosing really.

I usually buy 5 or 6 bottles at a time of my PB8 (vegetarian caps) from http://www.vitacost.com and have them shipped directly to my house. Buying in bulk saves me running out of tabs and running out to the store, as well as saving on shipping costs.

Some folk like to use several different types of probiotics in order to get a variety of different strains of probiotic. Maria Schmidt just posted on this today in another thread that you might find interesting to read. Here's the link:

http://rbfbb.org/view_topic.php?id=3726&forum_id=1&jump_to=34317#p34317

Hope others will chime in to share what they are using to avert candida. Probiotics are important, because they can avert candida becoming a problem, but once candida takes root in the gut, it can be difficult to eradicate without systemic prescription drugs, like Diflucan.

All the best to you as you begin your AP!

Peace, Maz

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘ will I get yeast infections?? :(’ is closed to new replies.