Home Forums General Discussion Why is RA so much worse in winter?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    klogan
    Participant

What am I, a human calendar?

The flare starts in February, this year worse than ever before. Various medical complications then occurred caused by my radical dosage doubling debacle.  What were the Dr and I thinking!?!

I started slowlyyyyyyyyyyy recovering over April and May. Now I am only a little worse than this time last year, but energetic and feeling pretty good. And I have certainly learned a great deal.

But I noticed a lot of other people have trouble in winter. What's up with that? Why February?

Anyone got a pet theory about that?

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Klogan,

I was flicking through my “New Arthritis Breakthrough” to refresh my memory on a few things late last night and re-read the bit where Brown talks about barmetric changes and the arthritic….Feb is one of those months were the barometric pressure is “unstable,” he said, and it is thought this is why many flare during these periods of the year.

My grandmother didn't have RA, but I do think she may have had SAD (seasonal affective disorder). She always said that she knew in her body when the barometric pressure was dropping, because she'd literally feel like she was wilting, had an oppressed feeling in her body. When I was younger and got regular migraines, I could also tell when a storm was coming in, because I could feel the arteries contracting and pulsating in my neck, at the back, just before the storm came through and felt pressure building in my head…the pain would peak during the storm and diminish as the storm passed. I have no explanation for that other than barometric pressure, though the migraines were worse during when hormones were in shift.

Brown also discussed studies that were done in pressure chambers on arthritics that seemed to confirm that atmospheric pressure does affect pain/worsening. I also have a feeling that spring and fall bring environmental allergens that likely increase hypersensitivity reactions. Another possibility being that it could also be related to changing D levels and increases/decreases in sun exposure, as daylight hours begin to lengthen/shorten.

So many theories – some with anecdotal science behind them and some of the anecdotal 'old wive's variety – and plenty to pick from! 😯

Peace, Maz

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘ Why is RA so much worse in winter?’ is closed to new replies.