Home Forums General Discussion Who knew climbing stairs could make me so happy

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    troysmom
    Participant

My son's victories continue to pile up, (at least for now, sorry can't let go of the feeling that we still have a few bumps on the road to recovery).

My mother and my son are best friends and once a week my son use to spend an overnight at my mothers, but he has not been able to since Dec 08, when he became too weak.  My mother lives on the third floor and there are no elevators, climbing one flight of stairs was an ordeal for my son, never mind three flights of stairs.  As I mentioned in a previous post Troy has been feeling stronger this week, his skin is clear, he still walks slow but I would say for the first time in a very long time you can look at him and not guess he is 'sick'.  His goal was to spend tonight at my mother's if he continued to feel good through out the week.

I am happy to report my son climbed three flights of stairs today.  It wasn't as hard as I expected either, (I am waiting to see how this will affect his legs tomorrow, how sore will he be)

When he got to the top of the third flight my mother and I were both clapping, cheering and crying, we made so much noise one of my mother's neighbors came out in the hall way to see what was going on, through tears my mother says “he just climbed the stairs” of course the neighbor probably thought we were crazy, but it was a beautiful moment.

When he started the minocycline we had weaned him off all his immunosuppressants, his symptoms soared through the roof, it wasn't until after a little trial and error and information from this board that we realized in addition to the minocycline he also needed something to help reduce his inflammation, we tried natural products but it wasn't strong enough.  I came to understand that when the inflammation is too high it can be counter productive to the antibiotic, so Troy went back on the cyclosporine twice a day, that was 4.5 weeks ago.  Of all the immunosuppressants he has been on that one has the lowest side effects.  In the mean time he also started taking something to help with his stomach and it also helped him sleep better, through the night, all those things combined I believe have led to this new found strength & energy.

I of course can feel comfortable here and tell you that I still fear a week from now or weeks from now my heart may be broken again because of symptoms or pain that resurfaces and 'takes him down again' but for now we celebrate.

This journey has taught me many things, one of them being the process of letting go, every day I wake up and learn to let go, my days are dictated by how my son feels.  I don't know what tomorrow, next week or next year will bring but I do know today my son climbed three flights of stairs and I am celebrating.:roll-laugh:

katieb
    Participant

Hi Troysmom,

Thank you so much for posting yet another wonderful breakthrough for Troy. I am sure that many others, like me, have been watching Troy's progress and praying for something like this to happen for him. I hope and pray that his progress will continue just like this – upwards all the way – flights of stairs and his whole life. You both so deserve it !

God bless, Katie

Kim
    Participant

THIS IS JUST SO COOL !!!!!

Maz
    Keymaster

Troysmom, tell Troy from me that he is now the official RBF “Stair Master” or “Master of the Stairs!” :dude:

I'm about 35 years older than him and the two flights of stairs in my house is just about my limit, really because I'm so unfit. Troy has just reminded me that I need to get back to the gym! I've been slacking lately, enjoying what sunny days I can squeeze in before the chilly days of Fall set in….not many this summer here in the NE with all the rain, rain and more rain. Looks like a tropical rain forest around here right now…everything is usually brown by the dog days of summer. 

Peace, Maz

rebeccaavazian
    Participant

Hi Troysmom,

I can completely relate to your excitement! Last month was the first month I started taking the the stairs I would normally take the elevator or just avoid stairs but now I can go up the stairs without having that heaviness, weak, pain feeling. Now Im working on going down the stairs. Congrats to your son I am so happy for him!

xoxox

Parisa
    Participant

Troysmom,

Your post made me cry but they were the good kind of tears.  Tell your son he has a whole cheering section here at Road Back.

linda
    Participant

Hi Troysmom,

I'm so happy for you and your son, I hope and pray that he continues to recover. He's obviously a brave kid and has lots of love and support. Those things are just as important to recovery as the meds. Cease the day!!!

linda

Oh yeah, Maz, we have the opposite problem here, 47 days of temps over 100 degrees. Our normal is 9 days of that kind of heat for the summer. However, we've had a cold snap the last few days, and only reached 99! And the other nite it got down to 96 by 10:30 pm! It makes it tough to exercise, for sure. It doesn't help that every indoor exercise machine puts stress on some part of the body, which always causes a flare in that part for me. But we persevere….

casey
    Participant

This is so great!! When we see a victory in our children no matter how small or large, it is truly a big thing!!! Keep up the good work both of you and gramma too!

Margaret Mueller
    Participant

I'm so happy for Troy and for you. Congratulations, Mom. Your commitment is paying off.

m.
    Participant

Sweet. Thanks for sharing this wonderful news!

Eva Holloway
    Participant

troysmom,

how is Troy doing? I have been gone for two weeks and I have been thinking of the both of you on my travel. Hope everything is going well.

Eva:D

Eva Holloway

judy cash
    Participant

Troysmom,

Sorry this is late…………this news is so great, I am so happy for Troy and you and Grandma……..  

This is for Troy,:roll-laugh: Keep going to Grandmas, and spend every night that you can with her, its good for you and it is good for her…..:crying:. My children miss their Granny so much,now that she is gone,:crying: but they treasure the overnight visits, and wish they could have had more with her.

Continued Best Wishes!

Love,

Judy

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘ Who knew climbing stairs could make me so happy’ is closed to new replies.