Home Forums General Discussion who has switched from mino to doxcy?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    stephinpgh
    Participant

Would appreciate info about:  dosage of prescription?  Do you pulse dose, as with minocin?  Is it more affordable, or do you order from Canada?  Do you recommend using only brand name?  What is the brand name?  No AP doc in this area, but pcp will probably write doxcy scrip if I know what to ask for. If I can sneak in one more question:  who has had a clindy IV?  The IV part scares me, but I am considering this, as there is one sort-of AP doctor in this area who does them.

Todd WI
    Participant

That?s a lot questions, and the answers may be very dependent upon your personal situation (doctor, dx, etc).  Having prefaced with that, I?ll take a shot at answering some of your questions and hopefully others will chime in to fill in the gaps.

I take generic doxy (doxycycline hyclate) 100mg twice daily.  A one month supply (60 tables) cost $33 at the local Walgreens. I believe that there are people who pulse dose doxy, but don?t quote me on that. 

The general consensus appears to be that brand vs generic issue is not as important with doxy as it is with mino.   I?m not sure why that is the case.

Todd

steph-sclero
    Participant

I have used the clindy IV's for almost a year now. Five days each month. I swear by them. I have seen the most progress with them. There have been times when I was just doing the IV's alone (to see how much was the IV's) and it was amazing how much the IV's alone changed. Responsible for at least two symptoms disappearing.

Best of Luck,

Steph

Texas T.
    Participant

I've never taken MINO – just Doxy.  I don't think there is a generic for Doxy.  I take 100mg x 2 per day x 7 days a week.  Just added Zith about 6 weeks ago.  Haven't taken MTX or PRED since last October – I'm doing fine – but I should also say I do NOT have a positive RF.

BTW – Doxy – 1 month = 60 capsules cost me $9.24 at Sam's AND you do NOT need a membership to Sam's to buy prescriptions

fastspinW
    Participant

Hi,

Doxycycline is indeed available in generic version and there are a number of pharmacys these day that offer low-cost 30-day and 90-day generics.

The one I use here where I live charges $4.00 for a 30-day supply of generic doxy and $10 for a 90-day supply.

Target, Walmart, and a host of others do the same.

All best,
    bikerhiker

Cheryl F
    Keymaster

Walmart has Doxy on their $4.00 RX list.

I know a long term AP RA patient who does Doxy M-W-F, not sure of the dose.

Cheryl

Texas T.
    Participant

Cool deal!  I really did not know there was a generic for Doxy but in this string I can see we're paying from $4.00 – $33.00 for a one month supply.  Wish we could all get the $4.00 deal.

Teresa

Todd WI
    Participant

My $33 figure may not be the real retail price. My insurance covers the full cost of the prescription and $33 is the shown as the amount that my insurance saved me.  I have a sneaky suspicion that there's some funny business going on with the savings numbers.

klogan
    Participant

I pulse; I am on doxy 50 mg MWF. I started the doxy after ramping up the mino too fast gave me quite a reaction – don't know if it was a herx or just a bad reaction, including mino induced lupus and elevated liver values.
    I think mino is not for me!

I have no idea if the doxy is helping – I'm just slogging away at it.

fastspinW
    Participant

[user=206]Texas T.[/user] wrote:

Cool deal!

John McDonald
    Participant

The original was tetracycline. The second generation was doxycycline and Minocycline is the 3rd generation in the family. Doxy is quite a bit more effective than tetra, and Mino is said to be quite a bit more effective than Doxy and with better tissue perfusion and better tolerance for dosing near meals. That last bit, dosing near meals, is important for their target market, teenagers with acne.   I did very well on pulsed, generic doxy for my first 8 months on AP. It wasn't until doc saw that the doxy was working that she agreed to give me Mino. So if I was doing so well why did I switch? I just wanted to give AP the best chance I knew of to work, so when doc relented on the Mino I switched, and later switched again to brand Minocin, just in case. I never really noticed the difference between these abx but I am in very good shape these days.

Parisa
    Participant

Doryx is time released and is what Dr. F prescribed.  We got insurance to pay for six months, then they switched us over to regular Doxy.  I'm not sure it's working as well and would like to get my husband back on the Doryx.

Texas T.
    Participant

I get some prescriptions for $4.00 – Doxy is just not one of them.  The receipt shows the full price of $13.78 and my cost is $9.24.

***I have also found that sometimes prescriptions are cheaper if you do NOT use your prescription benefit.  Makes no sense to me but I have found that to be the case from time to time.

Texas T.
    Participant

John,

Just curious here – now that you have arthritis under control:

1. Do you still have a need for any pain meds? [/*:1w12fnj7]
    2. Do you still take AP?  What kind?  How much? How often?  Details if you please. [/*:1w12fnj7]
    3. Did you ever or do you now have a positive RF?[/*:1w12fnj7]

I'm looking forward to getting off the Feldine some day if that's possible and also wonder if the AP can / will be reduced some day as well.

The Doxy makes me photo sensitive, I live in Texas, and have already fried my nose once this spring – summer is yet ahead!

John McDonald
    Participant

Theresa,

1. Do you still have a need for any pain meds? No, not for a couple of years or more.[/*:17fcst1a]
    2. Do you still take AP?  What kind?  How much? How often?  Details if you please. Yes, Minocycline QOD plus two others. So I take 3, one each 10 days and Minocycline and the other on alternate days. You will find some more details about my history at this link on this site: http://www.rbfbb.org/view_topic.php?id=147&forum_id=3[/*:17fcst1a]
    3. Did you ever or do you now have a positive RF? I think I did not have a positive RF factor. My wife thinks that I did. I don't really think it matters so I haven't looked back at my labs. The docs don't know what causes RA so they search our blood and tissues for clues. Some RA sufferers have extra RF, others don't. But try to tell the RF negative people that they aren't in pain and that life as they knew it isn't over. They are and until they start AP or MP, it is. The docs don't know what role RF plays in our disease. It is just something that they see in some severe cases.

[/*]
    I will send a PM.

Best wishes     -john

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘ who has switched from mino to doxcy?’ is closed to new replies.