Home Forums General Discussion Who does Kefir…Lifeway Brand Anyone?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    whaleharbor
    Keymaster

So I know I need a probiotic…

I don't want to make my own kefir…rather buy it…yes, I know, it's easy whatev.

I don't want to take another pill.

So I found http://www.kefir.com and found this item at my local grocery store in the refrigerated health food section.

Tastes like yogurt..not bad…but is it a strong enough probiotic?

Anyone have any experience with just taking kefir?

Anyone have any experience with this brand or do I really have to make my own?

What say you?

— whaleharbor

Minocycline 100mg every other day with food...lots of food: Zydus brand. Celecoxib 200mg twice per day: Greenstone brand.

Suzanne
    Participant

My daughter has been drinking their kefir smoothies, which I would say compare grocery store yogurt.   Both have worked fine for her, gastro-wise.  But I recently saw this FDA warning about concerns with other products they manufacture, so I've been wary of buying any more of their smoothies for now:

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2008/NEW01835.html

Mom of teen daughter with Poly JIA since age 2. Current med: azithromycin 250 mg MWF.

Kim
    Participant

I just made my second batch (2 quarts) of Kefir so not enough time to tell if it will be a sufficient probiotic; however, it tastes good and is easy to make.  I use mine to make a fruit smoothie for the late afternoon lull when I could chew my arm off.

JenTX
    Participant

I think the stuff tastes great, but the Lifeway brand has quite a bit of sugar.  Not good for those with candida or weight issues!  I stopped using it as I was worried it contributed too much sugar to the yeast.

Jennifer

Serenity
    Participant

I love Kefir!  When I eat a serving, I only take 2 Acidophilus Pearl probiotics that day (instead of my usual 3).  I've been on mino for a couple years now and have never had a yeast problem. 

I buy the Trader Joe's brand now b/c it's cheaper, and as much as I like the flavored ones, I stick with lowfat plain– as Jen said, the flavored ones have way too much sugar. 

whaleharbor
    Keymaster

What is an acidopholis pearl?

— whaleharbor

Minocycline 100mg every other day with food...lots of food: Zydus brand. Celecoxib 200mg twice per day: Greenstone brand.

BeatingRA
    Participant

[user=330]Serenity[/user] wrote:

I buy the Trader Joe's brand now  

Serenity,

I buy my acidophilus at Trader Joe's but didn't notice they have keifer too.  I'd like to try it.  Next time I go, I'll look for it.  Where do you find it in the store?  Thanks!

Theresa

Serenity
    Participant

Hi – Acidophilus Pearls is the type of probiotic I use.  I like it b/c it doesn't have to be refrigerated and it seems to keep any problems I have at bay.

http://www.amazon.com/Enzymatic-Therapy-Acidophilus-Pearls-capsules/dp/B00014JYNE

As for Trader Joe's Kefir, it is available in the yogurt/dairy section — they sell plain and strawberry, I believe.  It is at least $1 cheaper than Lifeway, at least where I live.  🙂

Susan LymeRA
    Participant

What about Activia?  I used to love Lifeway Kefir but a milk protein allergy brought that to a halt.  Everything I hear about Activia sounds like a good source of probiotics and doctors are recommending it.

whaleharbor
    Keymaster

Serenity,

Thanks for the link to the acidophilus.

I have a question, how do you time your 3 pearls a day…especially with the mino.  Do you take them all at once or space them throughout the day.

Do you take your mino once a day or twice a day?

So many pills…so little time…

— whaleharbor

Serenity
    Participant

Hi Whaleharbor,

I take all my probiotics at the same time.  I haven't read that that's a problem, but can someone please chime in if they've heard it's better to stagger throughout the day?

Aside from minocycline, I take a slew of supplements, but space them all throughout the afternoon (I just take them out of my pill case and leave them on my desk.  Every hour or so, I pop 1-2.  Taking them all at once sometimes makes me nauseaus).

My schedule is as follows:

8:00 am: 200mg minocycline

Late Morning (11-ish): If I am feeling a little sore, I take a Voltaren, which is a prescription strength NSAID.  I used to take this 2x / day but now I only take it as needed.  I may also take a Zyflamend, which is a natural anti-inflammatory.

12:00 – 5:00: supplements (multi, iron, milk thistle, B, calcium, probiotics)

10:30 pm: 200mg minocycline

I don't have the perfect 12 hour dose for mino, but I seem okay on this schedule.  🙂

[user=217]whaleharbor[/user] wrote:

Serenity,

Thanks for the link to the acidophilus.

I have a question, how do you time your 3 pearls a day…especially with the mino.  Do you take them all at once or space them throughout the day.

Do you take your mino once a day or twice a day?

So many pills…so little time…

— whaleharbor

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘ Who does Kefir…Lifeway Brand Anyone?’ is closed to new replies.