Home Forums General Discussion When is a herx really a herx and when is a symptom part of the disease.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    mommaof2princesses
    Participant

Kim

I am sorry for your Celiac diagnosis, but like the others have already said it is one step closer to you being better! it really is not so bad once you are used to it. I have been gluten free/ dairy free etc since June and I am doing good! Idefintiely feel better without the gluten. My stepmom found out she has gluten intolerance as well and she never had any symptoms so I nkwo it can present with symptoms or sometimes it doesn't. There are many good cookbooks and websites out there, it is like any type of cooking with a little practice you will be a pro. My hubby turned his nose up at the food in the beginning but no I am a little better at it and he eats what I eat, so do my kids I am not a restaraunt LOL they eat what is on the table. It is healthier for us all. My ND told me that 80% of the population is gluten intolerant and do not know She feels that this is crucial in healing hte gut (she says that it can be the cause of autoimmune disease). Good luck with it and if you need any tips or recipes let me know!

mommaof2princesses
    Participant

Casey

Would you be willing to share those recipes from your meal tonight? My hubby got me a nice stainless steel 6 qt crockpot with a digital times for christmas and I have been o nthe search for some good organic, gluten free dairy free recipes and that sounds really good!

mommaof2princesses
    Participant

Kim

Also be very patient with yourself in the beginnng becuase my ND explained to me that your body actually becomes addicted to the foods that you are allergic to (i.e. gluten and dairy) and when you remove the,m from your diet she says that your body goes through wthdrawal (I cried alot and was a total “B” if you know what I mean I was very moody) but it only lasted a short while and now there are so many subsitutes tahat I am aware of tat it is easy. My ND said that gluten intolerance is usually a life long thing but the other food allergies (which are actually a result of the gluten intolerance) such as dairy will sometimes resolve themselves 9I know this for a fact because when i was tested for gluten I also was allergic to eggs and after a few months gluten and egg free I can have eggs again, she says that my gut is healing). Dr. S told me that he has seen patients with autoimmune disease that have had food and chemical sensitivites that resolved themselves after AP… just some food for thought HA HA i know i am a dork…

martysfolks
    Participant

Hi Everybody,  Lynne has been after me for several years re: celiac disease.  I got tested a few years back and tested negative.  I was just getting ready to toss out the slow cooker, when I read the posts.  Tonight, I had rice and chicken dinner.  Was delicious and no gluten or bread with it.  May just start making meals in the cooker with meat and veggies.  What do you do for fish wish days or cravings for mac-cheese?  Can you wean your self off glute slowly, or does it have to be a quick slam-dunk?  My 94 year old mom is healthy except for her recent onset of dementia.  Everyday of her life she has started out with a cup of coffee and a chunk of bread.  Go figure!  So, did my Dad and he died at the age of 90, within a week of getting Mersa.  Was healthy till then.  They are of spanish decent, both born in Puerto Rico.  There was never any bacon & eggs on their table for breakfast.  Sometimes they added a piece of fruit in the tropics, like banana, orange, papaya or mango. That was it!  Dinner was rice & beans and mostly chicken.  Fish was always dried cod. Very limited meals, but the whole family lived long and healthy lives.  The oldest one lived till 105. Does where you live and your gentic pool have an influence or is the American diet the culprit?  ~~~You're all great!  Dolores

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

More like the overall modern Western diet, Dolores! Incidentally, one doesnt often see people of Asian cultures overweight….until they start eating more of a Western diet. It's our culture's obsession with wheat and sugar that seems to make the difference.

Of course, you can wean yourself slowly off gluten. However, you wont notice any physical difference until you're gluten-free because your body will still produce the IgG antigens. My AP doc told me I'd get away with a once-a- month bit of gluten (I'm gluten sensitive not full-blown celiac) but once a week was too often. I found that I was constantly hungry, even though eating loads and she told me I was probably getting hidden gluten from somewhere. She was right. It was the malt in most soy milk. I'm also wondering, given that you were tested negative for celiac, what reason you are choosing to do this right now? It might be an idea to get re-tested for both celiac disease and sensitivity. See Kim's post above re this. Also Dr RK in TX (one of the well known AP docs) has really good info on celiac syndrome and sensitivity – see http://www.drrima.com. Or you can go straight to her Celiac site, the East Texas Gluten Intolerance Group from this link: http://www.easttexasgig.org/print.php?id=46

If you do go down the gluten-free path, remember that many people find they lose alot of weight (me included). That can be a problem if you dont have spare weight to lose. It is really important that you get sufficient complex carbohydrates on a gluten-free diet. Basmati rice and gluten/wheat-free breads are two ways to address this. I've been informed that, on a diet that has alot of protein and few complex carbs, the body finds it hard to use the protein for the energy it needs, so instead uses its own fat stores – hence, I guess, the weight loss.   

Finally, here's a simple piece on some of the things that have changed over the years in our diets – and why these may be a contributing factor in the increase in sensitivities and allergies. (Added to this, my AP doc says all people with chronic illness, such as in the rheumatoid family, have leaky gut). Best to you, Lynnie

NOW WE ASK OURSELVES, WHY ARE FOOD ALLERGIES ON THE RISE?[/color”>

Over the past 20,000 years, people have changed very little- and genetically, not at all. The same, however, cannot be said of our diets. Many of today?s killer diseases, from diabetes to heart disease, have arisen because our unchanging genetic constitution has collided head-on with a radical change in diet. Take a close look at this comparison between what our ancestors were eating 20,000 years ago and today?s diet.

STONE- AGE DIET

• 0% of carbohydrates as cereal grains. [/*:2t3kbchn]
    • Favourite drinks; water and mother?s milk [/*:2t3kbchn]
    • Great variety of fruits and vegetables eaten.

TODAY?S DIET
    [/*:2t3kbchn]

• 75% of carbohydrate as grain. [/*:2t3kbchn]
    • Fizzy drinks, coffee, tea, alcohol and cow?s milk [/*:2t3kbchn]
    • 8 to 10 foods make up 80% of daily calories (dairy, wheat, refined sugars, fried potatoes, processed foods).[/*:2t3kbchn]

Today we are drinking more high-sugar, fizzy drinks than water. Times have changed. Are we becoming more food allergic simply because we are eating the wrong foods? When you consider that cow?s milk, grain and yeast are all essentially ?NE W? foods in our human diet, this simplistic idea makes sense. An obvious place to start in unravelling the true cause of allergies is the digestive tract. After all, the lining of the gut is the first point of contact between foods and the immune system. The intestinal lining alone is estimated to contain more immune cells and produce more antibodies than any other organ in the body. Hardly surprising, then that the intestinal lining and its immune system is an absolutely crucial defense against food allergens and infections. Research shows that people with food allergies do tend to have leaky gut walls. This might explain why frequently eaten foods are more likely to cause a reaction. There are many reasons why our modern-day diet might lead to leaky gut.

from http://www.happytums.com site

[/color] 

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Kim
    Participant

[user=111]martysfolks[/user] wrote:

What do you do for fish wish days or cravings for mac-cheese? 

Hey Dolores,

Last night I fixed sea bass over lime-cilantro rice and roasted brussel sprouts.  Any diet that allows rice, potatoes and beans leaves you with lots of possibilities.

I had another thought about you.  Have you been tested for hypercoagulation?  A lot of SD people have it and it is serious.  I'm trying to thin my blood with enzymes, but my doctor wants me doing Heparin injections which I may have to do.  Just a thought.

Take care…..

Kim
    Participant

[user=9]casey[/user] wrote:

Kim , I want to expand on the “miserable” hubby thing. Imagine this….. celiac diagnosis and 9 amalgam fillings removed in 2 weeks. We are “tiptoeing” around lately!

But , it will only get better. More nutritious food and mercury gone bye-bye!!!

Oh you poor woman!  I'd take four throwing-up kids before one sick husband any day!  :doh:

mommaof2princesses
    Participant

Martysfolks

Hi! As far as gluten free mac and cheese I used the gluten free wheat free brown rice noodles and add oil goat cheese and seasoning (like basil etc) and that is really good for a substitute for mac and cheese and alfredo. Either that or my naturopath was tellng me that you can use nutritional yeast (they sell it a tthe helth food store) it is high in B vitamins and tastes like cheese she said. Hope this helps! Going gluen free takes a little work but once you are there it's not so bad 🙂 Happy cooking!

martysfolks
    Participant

Thank you for the info on glute free cooking.  I could adjust.  The work would be to sell it to the family.  I guess I'll just have to make it and let them taste it.  We've changed a lot in the past few years.  Yes, staying healthy is quite a job. I was once, a long time ago, a very healthy person.  I took it all for granted!  I was a nurse who smoked, drank coffee & sodas, ate deli meat sandwiches and every kind of pastry.  Any Pasta was my weakness and rich gravies of all kinds.  I was never a drinker, because I can get woozy on a half glass of wine with dinner.  But, alas, those days caught up to me.  Little did I know.  Take care & thanks.  The best to you, Dolores 

mommaof2princesses
    Participant

I was the same as you were lol my husband is Italian and when we get together with the family it is soooo hard not to fall off the wagon with all of the pasta and breads and sauce his grandmother makes from scratch all ofthe meat is breaded mmmmm lol I have just switched it up a little gluten free pasta, gluten free bread, I can't have tomatoe so I do alredo sauce, and I use brown rice bread crumbs on meat and in cooking 🙂 It most certainly tkes getting used to and it is hard to get the family on board (mykids were easy my hubby was the difficult one) for the most part he eats what I eat but he still goes out on the occasional McDonald's run for himself :)Everyone gets used to it after awhile (as I say all of our taste buds have died LOL) It really isn't that bad it is just a matter of retraining your pallette 🙂

tainabell
    Participant

When I was on my gluten free diet (elimination diet to see if that was causing my hives), I was delighted to find out that one of the one most famous gluten free restaurants in the country was right down the street from where I live.  Risotteria makes delicious gf food. 

http://www.risotteria.com/web_7.4/shipping_catalog.html

The above is a link to their shipping catalog, where you can get dry ingredients to make gf goodness!  The stuff is a bit pricey, but worth it if you want a special treat that reminds you of bread every now and then.  Seriously, the guy who makes this stuff is a genius – I read that he had a degree in organic chemistry and used to it to make the stuff taste as close to the normal as possible.  It worked –  it tastes amazing! 

martysfolks
    Participant

Why didn't I know you when I lived in NY for 12 years.  We just moved from there on March 30th last spring.  I lived with my Italian step-mother for a while when I was young.  Was born in NY and went to school in Bklyn.  Then out to Long Island.  Raised my kids there, then went to Florida.  Two divorces later was in California where I met hubby # 3.  Been married 33 yrs. now. and in 1996, we moved back to the Village in NY.  Just moved from NY as my lungs are fibrosed from Scleroderma and the pain in winter was unbearable.  Used to go to the S/D support meetings at the Hospital for Special Surgery and was a volunteer for the scleroderma walkathon at Riverside Park 2 years.  Moved because I couldn't handle winters anymore.  Presently in Florida, but talking about moving to the Yucatan. maybe we do know each other.  Write to me at my E: address.  Have you met Sohelia?  She also has S/D.  Take care~~~~Dolores  martysfolks@hotmail.com

Kim
    Participant

[user=854]tainabell[/user] wrote:

When I was on my gluten free diet (elimination diet to see if that was causing my hives), I was delighted to find out that one of the one most famous gluten free restaurants in the country was right down the street from where I live.  Risotteria makes delicious gf food. 

http://www.risotteria.com/web_7.4/shipping_catalog.html

The above is a link to their shipping catalog, where you can get dry ingredients to make gf goodness!  The stuff is a bit pricey, but worth it if you want a special treat that reminds you of bread every now and then.  Seriously, the guy who makes this stuff is a genius – I read that he had a degree in organic chemistry and used to it to make the stuff taste as close to the normal as possible.  It worked –  it tastes amazing! 

You are lucky to have a GF restaurant nearby, if nothing else, just for some ideas.  Another great site is:  http://www.food4celiacs.com – Gluten Free Trading Company.

MJ
    Participant

Vitacost has some wonderful gluten free pasta made by Tinkyada. It's not mushy and tastes as good as wheat pasta. They have it in the regular flavor and then also gluten free made with spinach. You can order an unlimited amount of stuff from Vitacost.com for only $4.99 shipping. Their prices are the lowest I've seen!

Enjoy, Martha

Kim
    Participant

Thanks, Martha, I order from Vitacost all the time, but didn't know they sold that sort of stuff.  I'll get into this diet change, but as you can probably tell I'm not real enthusiastic.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘ When is a herx really a herx and when is a symptom part of the disease.’ is closed to new replies.