Home Forums General Discussion What to do?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    kathygirl
    Participant

I have scleroderma and took minocin for about 2 years. I was also on cytoxan and was improving. In January of this year I was changed toImuran and that was the beginning of alot of problems. To make a long story short I have watermelon stomach  and my hemoglobin was at 49 but thankfully it is back up to 98. I stopped the minocin because I was vomitting it up every morning. I  was off it for about 3 months. I started taking it again for about 2 weeks then stopped because I developed a bladder infection and had to take microbid. The bladder infection cleared up after 3 weeks and I started taking minocin again. A week later I had another bladder infection and once again stopped minocin so I could take macrobid to clear up the infection. My question is do you think I could take minocin and macrobid at the same time? I feel one step forward and two back. Thankyou for any help you can give me.

Kim
    Participant

Hi Kathygirl,

Sorry you are having such a rough time.  Please PM DaveW, he's another SD/Roadbacker that had watermelon stomach, but is doing really well now. 

I have SD, but was spared the gut issues so am no help.

Sure hope you can find some relief soon.

Take care…….kim

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=496]kathygirl[/user] wrote:

My question is do you think I could take minocin and macrobid at the same time? I feel one step forward and two back. Thankyou for any help you can give me.

Kathy, I'm knd of surprised, after reading up about macrobid on Wiki, that your doc actually prescribed this antibiotic to you, because it's been linked to pulmonary fibrosis. Is there any other alternative that your doctor could prescribe for your UTIs?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrofurantoin

If not, you could put in a call to your pharmacy and ask the pharmacist whether there are any contraindications for macrobid's use with minocycline.

Hope you find your answers soon! Please come back and let us know how you get on.

Peace, Maz

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Kathy,Maz;
         My brother ,who broke his back and is in a wheel chair for the last 35 years often gets bladder infection due to immobility,takes  Cipro and that always ends the infections.Maybe you should consider it.
                                Lynne

Parisa
    Participant

Maz,

My husband treated with Zithromax and we believe it was one of the drugs that was most effective for his lung issues.  

Sorry, I had a slight brain lapse here.  I was thinking of macrolide (Zithromax) not Macrobid. 

Randy
    Participant

I believe JeffN had watermelon stomach too.  I'm sure he can offer some advice.

Diffuse SD since Apr '07
    AP since Feb '08
    100mg Mino twice daily
    Stopped Clindamycin IVs Aug 2019
    "No one should profit over someone else's illness"

Kim
    Participant

[user=223]Randy[/user] wrote:

I believe JeffN had watermelon stomach too.  I'm sure he can offer some advice.

Oh geez, now I've had a brain lapse too…….yes, it is JeffN, not Dave, I was thinking of.  Duh!

kim

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘ What to do?’ is closed to new replies.