Home Forums General Discussion What is the best way to take Minocycline?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    MMW
    Participant

My dr. gave me minocycline (Watson) brand. 

Is it better to take it with food or without?

What time of day is best?

Even though my dr. gave me the RX of 100mg to take 2 times a day,  do you think this is a lot to start with?   He gave me the Rx but made it clear that he did not really support me for taking it for a mycoplasma infection.

I am considering just taking 1 a day and only on MWF.  

Is this wise of me?

MMW

Okie Tam
    Participant

Hi MMW,

I know one of the board moderators will give you a more conclusive answer to your question on taking Minocycline but mainly wanted to offer support on the fact that your doctor isn't going to be proactive with AP treatment. Most of us on this board have experienced the same response from the medical community so do not be discouraged. Also, there is no one-size fits all solution but with lots of determination and the help from experienced people on this site you will get there.

To achieve the maximum results Minocycline is best taken on an empty stomach if you can tolerate it and be sure not to take it with magnesium or iron. These minerals will lessen the effectiveness. Good luck.

Kind regards,

Tam

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

MMW – in my layperson's opinion, I would start on the dose you are considering. The daily dosing (Harvard Protocol) is often far too big a dose for RAers and anybody who suffers inflammation. It can often generate such a whopping herx that people feel they cant take it. For the inflammatory diseases, more is not necessarily better, less is often more in the treatment approach. So, I'd try the 100mg MWF as you are thinking. And, if 100mg seems too much, you can even cut that down to start with. We've had people start on 25mg once or twice a week because of hypersensitivity issues and they still had results. Yes, mino has better penetration on an empty stomach, but if nausea is a problem, try a dry cracker. And, ultimately, even with food, you'll still absorb 85%. Okie Tam is right, no dairy with it and you need a 2 hour window around minerals such as iron and magnesium also. 

Best to you on your road back. Just remember, this is a slow road to wellness so  patience is a must. And please read up on the herx response, the initial worsening of symptoms caused by die-off, which is a good sign. We dont want your unknowledgeable doctor misunderstanding this aspect of the treatment and confusing you. Lynnie  

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

MMW
    Participant

Thanks Lynnie and Okie,    

This was helpful.  

Tommorrow is the big day one!   I will take 100mg on MWF and see what happens.

MMW

Texas T.
    Participant

I take Minocin at 3:00 in the afternoon – about 2 – 3 hours after I have eaten lunch.  Taking it this way has caused no stomach upset at all.  🙂

carries
    Participant

I just started minocycline about 1 mth ago. My dr told me to do 100mg on MWF for the first 3 weeks. Then week 4 take 200mg MWF. After week 3 i didnt feel i was quite ready for 2 a day so I did another week of just one. I didnt think I was ready bc all of a sudden I started experiencing tingling/itchies on my chest, back, arms, and torso….about 1 hr after taking it. No rash at all so i dont think it was an allergy. A couple hours later it would subside. Then this week on Monday I took two a day. I was up all night with the itchies/tingles. But once again…..NO RASH. Today I took my 1 pill this morning…..no itchies yet….so maybe it was just a herx??? So I am glad i stuck with it. I dont think i am going to take the second pill tonight…dont want to push it too soon. I think on Friday I will only do one too. Then next week i will try two days with 2 pills a day and then the following week depending on how i feel i might introduce the 2 pills a day to all three days!! We will see…it could change but i'd rather go slow like everyone on here is suggesting. I want this to work!!! 🙂 So far so good!

Texas T.
    Participant

My AP Dr. (Dr. R. K. in Lufkin, TX) believes the slow attack that lasts is the best way to go.  When I asked her about taking 200 MG of Minocin per day – she said she did not want to put me into a herx that I could not handle.

I was off Zith for about 2 months and when I went back on it my knees were very painful for about 4 days – then the pain subsided – that's when I knew it was a Zith herx – not the arthritis.

WyterWhist05
    Participant

[user=1619]MMW[/user] wrote:

My dr. gave me minocycline (Watson) brand. 

Is it better to take it with food or without?

What time of day is best?

Even though my dr. gave me the RX of 100mg to take 2 times a day,  do you think this is a lot to start with?   He gave me the Rx but made it clear that he did not really support me for taking it for a mycoplasma infection.

I am considering just taking 1 a day and only on MWF.  

Is this wise of me?

MMW

As what I have read, it has been clinically documented that it is important to take Lederle brand Minocin. Most all generic minocycline is clearly not as effective. I think that it is good for you.

Message from ADMIN

As per Discussion Forum Policy:

“Please do not advertise or make use of the forum for any commercial purpose”

Your signature line has been removed because it contained a link to a restaurant supply business. Please ensure that future posts do not contain such links, as these posts will be deleted. Thank you for your understanding. ADMIN

NFASHIONISTA
    Participant

Texas T.

What is this Zith and what is it use for? You mentioned knee pain which I am experiencing also. They feel like knives when I bend or go down the steps. At night they throb. My arms throb down to my elbows wrist hands and fingers off and on throughout the night. It is weird and exhausting. Feels like I been beaten up and never feel total rested when I get up in the morn. Have you had any of these symptoms yourself?

Nfashionista

NFASHIONISTA
    Participant

MMW,

I have RA and take mino MWF 100 mg. I also take it 3:00 in the afternoon 2 hours after lunch and in the morning I take my other meds and vitamins. I have some nausea throughout the day off and on nothing crazy that I can't handle but had some dizzy spells too but not all the time. Those come on as quick as they go. I can't image being on a higher dosage then what I am doing now. Just wanted to share.

Nfashionista

Lakes
    Participant

Hi Carries!

We've shared stories about the “itchies” before – I told you about my bedside curtain rod back-scratcher. I got too many funny looks when I used an old spatula, I think my husband pictured me flipping a pancake with it right after using it as a scratcher! 😉

I've been on Minocin for 10 weeks – at about 6 weeks and again at 8 weeks the itchies drove me crazy, mostly at night. I didn't stop or reduce my Minocin. I had some nausea getting used to it and my symptoms were already improving drastically, so I didn't want any “steps backward”.

I attribute it to herxing/toxins and think the worst of it is behind me – I only get occasional mild itchiness at night now. I hope your itchies improve soon!!! I do recommend the curtain rod – the small tension rod type!! 🙂

carries
    Participant

Hi! The itchies have gotten better….I didnt have any Wed. or Friday. So it only lasted a couple days. We will see how tomorrow goes when i take 200mg. What is your dosage as of now?

carries
    Participant

I got your dosage at the bottom of your signature….I also noticed you wrote more energy….I cant wait for that!!!!! Hopefully I will have as much success as you have after only 8 weeks…thats great!!!

carries
    Participant

Hi Lakes…again….Is your dosage everyday or MWF?

carries
    Participant

Hi! Has anyone heard of the brand “global” for Minocycline?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘ What is the best way to take Minocycline?’ is closed to new replies.