Home Forums General Discussion what do you eat

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Krys
    Participant

@Jan Lucinda1 wrote:

gluten-free products in the U.S.?

Jan, Vitacost sells gluten free bread mixes and for those who go starch free, also coconut and almond flour.
    I asked for coconut and almond flour at Jewel and they started carrying it. They carry many gluten free mixes, too.
    Buckweat is gluten free, but not starch free. It is quite delicious if you add garlic while cooking it (additional rosemary, thyme, or curry powder is good) and when it is already cooked (and still very hot), adding sliced celery and chopped onion. For those on starch free diet it may be better not use store bought curry mixes, as they may contain starch. You may make your own by mixing (any of ground/powder form of) turmeric, ginger, coriander, cumin, fenugreek, pepper (you can use fancy smoked one), fennel, mustard, allspice. Adding a bit of cardamon is a plus. It is worthwhile to use as many spices as you can, because they tremendously aid in digestion and assimilation of food. Some are quite a bit anti-inflammatory!

@dianne-sunshinecoast wrote:

eggs were good , but cant stand the smell ! lately.

Try goose eggs. Many people who cannot tolerate chicken eggs, often do well on them.

@DragonSlayer wrote:

If You suspect AS and considering NSD, I strongly suggest Carol Sinclair’s book “The New IBS Low-Starch Diet,” with foreword by Professor Ebringer (it is available in UK).

This book is fabulous!!! Searching for what I can eat I got myself “The New IBS Low-Starch Diet”, “MS Recovery Diet” and “Breaking the Vicious Cycle. Intestinal Health Through Diet.” ” The New IBS…” helped me understand why I swell after fruit! Just as DragonSlayer said: unripe fruit contains starch! I was swelling after eating walnuts (which are very good for RA and osteo) and almonds. Unless soaked and pealed, they contain starch (in the skin)! “Breaking the Viscious Cycle” explains why bean flour/canned beans may not work, whereas if you make your own (soaking beans for 2 days and changing water every 12 hours)it/they may be fine.

I’ve noticed that I do best not just by eliminating all the food offenders (banana, gluten, starch, sugar and if eaten too often also eggs, goat’s milk, and even green vegetables!), but by eliminating the main ones and not eating the same food (even the most highly beneficial one) more than once within 4 day period, as advised by Dr. Jernigan in “Beating Lyme Disease”.
    I hope something of the above is useful. Warm wishes, Krys

parisa,thanks for the pecanbread .com site , very helpful 🙂 all the best..kind regards ..di.

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

Krys-

Why is banana an offender? Wondering about that.

Trader Joe’s has some gluten-free crackers, 4 oz for $1.29, and a gluten-free bread if interested.

Jan

Pauyen
    Participant

@Jan Lucinda1 wrote:

Why is banana an offender? Wondering about that.

I think its to do with the chemicals used in the ripening process. Naturally ripened bananas are fine… what Ive been told anyway 🙂

Krys
    Participant

@Jan Lucinda1 wrote:

Why is banana an offender?

Jan, it is an offender to me: I got myself allergic to bananas few months on anti-inflammatory diet. I think I was eating too many, too often. But when I do not eat the foods I’m allergic to for longer period of time, like a few months, I’m fine with one serving. With some, like buckweat and rice, I can have them once a week, small portion, with no reaction. And I think this discovery is actually bad, because when there is no reaction, I may be very tempted to “test” a few days later and then I pay big time.
    Many people are actually allergic to bananas, at least children with food allergies are usually allergic to bananas. Those who cannot have starch, should never eat a nicely yellow banana, but will be OK with fully ripe one, with brown spots. Those who do not tolerate sugar, don’t do well on the ripe one either: too much sugar!

I would love it if someone enumerated all the foods one can safely eat, no matter what the problem is!

mariemcminn
    Participant

Hi Di,

I also avoid dairy (except goat), gluten, and eggs, so my breakfast is mostly smoothies, of all sorts. Usually banana, berries, oranges, apples, spinach, chard, celery, or cucumber (I always rotate fruits and veggies) and sometimes add coconut oil and/or almond butter, red pepper, ginger, lemon, coconut–these are filling and delicious.

Hope that helps!

Marie

hi marie,thank you for the suggestions as to what to eat very much appreciated. my main challenge at the moment is severe pain and barely able to walk or move arms , als my tmj joint is badly affected. not sue which way to turn as no help here of any sort . have used every pain med i have in the house since yesterday afternoon, advil,panamax,panadeine forte . all i have as a next option is the mtx. thanks for going to the trouble to post about the food . every little bit helps . all the best..kind regards ..di.

Parisa
    Participant

Dianne,

This morning I sliced apples, sprinkled them with cinnamon and nutmeg and baked them at 350 degrees until they were soft. I also added some walnuts I had soaked overnight to the mixture to toast up with the apples. When everything was soft, I added the cream from the top of the can of coconut milk and a very light drizzle of honey.

If slicing apples is a chore, you could probably quarter them or bake whole apples (with core removed)

thank you parisa, that sounds yummy, i have been avoiding apples as cant peel or chew them very well. sometimes we cant think of the simplist things , certainly give that a try. much appreciated..kind regards ..di.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Dianne – one thing that may help get you out of this terrible pain is to consider a vegetable juice fast for a couple of days. It works for some and may give you some respite. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

thanks lynnie , your an angel. much appreciated..kind tegards .di.

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

I picked up Living Gluten-Free for Dummies by Danna Korn. She says you can get gluten-free at a regular grocery store and has some good practical suggestions.

Jan

thank you jan, very much appreciated, hope you are well. kind regards ..di.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.