Home Forums General Discussion what do you eat

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author

hi all, i am at a loss to know what to eat for breakfast, as i am glutenfree/ dairy free, and thinking of cutting out starches . also i cant tolerate eggs now , for some reason just the smell turns me off them, and i buy free range / antibiotic free . i have been having brown rice/ rice milk/ and rice bran/ with pawpaw for breakfast? also another quick ?, my digestive enzymes have bromelain/ gentian among other things . will the bromelain affect tetracyclines? the best to you all..kind regards ..di.

hopefulmama
    Participant

Hi Di,

Quinoa has been a godsend for me, and they make a very nice Quinoa flake cereal. Also you can get gluten free oats at Whole Foods and make oatmeal. I recently purchased a cookbook called “Gluten Free Without Rice” as I have developed a rice allergy too – and it has some really nice muffin and pancake recipes using flowers like sorghum, teff, buckwheat, tapioca, etc.

My main recommendation is don’t rely on any grain too much. I never had a problem with rice until I substituted it for wheat in every recipe for two years. Suddenly I began to have problems with it and when I went to see an allergist and did skin testing, I came up with a true allergy to rice. Apparently if you eat too much of ANY food you can give yourself an allergy to it, so the main thing is to consciously rotate your grains. I think the adaptation diet suggests rotating every 4 days, that is hard to do but at least it gives a goal.

Take care & I hope this helps you πŸ™‚
    A

hi hopefulmama, thank you very much for the suggestions, i will give those a try . and getting some books is a good suggestion . much appreciated πŸ™‚ kind regards ..di.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Dianne – my usual fare is Monster Muesli’s either Free and Lo or Free and Fruity – both made in consultation with celiac socirty and designed to be fine for people with alot of food sensitivities. Both are gluten, dairy and nut free – the first just with dried, peeled pear (the lowest allergen fruit-wise) and the second with some dried berries. They are freeze dried and contain no sulphites. Available in the Health Food aisles at Woolworths and Coles. I have mine with fresh, sliced banana. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

hi lynnie, that sounds yummie too. do you use soy milk? or have it dry? i am not having soy at the moment. much appreciated ..kind regards ..di.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Dianne – I do have it with soy. I use Bon Soy or Australia’s Own Organic Soy (Malt Free version). I dont have a sensitivity to soy but am careful not to drink any that has malt in the ingredient list (malt contains gluten). Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

DragonSlayer
    Participant

Hi, diane–sunshinecoast:

I have AS and must avoid starches. Stuff like soya and “soya isolate” (as in protein drinks) is absolute murder, but fried foods–deep fried and breaded–are long flare/torture.

For breakfast, when in the US, I often have chicken or turkey hot dogs (I do not eat pork), sometimes with cheese or even sauerkraut or coleslaw. Here in Philippines I eat eggs nearly every day, but get tired of them so can eat mangoes (but in US the mangoes are too starchy as they are harvested green and never convert enough), or pineapple. In US I often eat canned fruits, dried fruits, or tested fresh fruits (test samples with iodine). Tuna salad is also a good breakfast food.

If You suspect AS and considering NSD, I strongly suggest Carol Sinclair’s book “The New IBS Low-Starch Diet,” with foreword by Professor Ebringer (it is available in UK).

bon appetit,
    John

Valsmum
    Participant

I eat applesauce without the added sugar, eggs and bacon.
    I do much better without dairy, nightshades and grains/stahrches.

Once I didn’t eat sugar for a whole year, this was long before my RA.
    I never felt so healthy. I did it after I read a book called “Sugar Blues”.
    I would like to see if cutting out sugar would help my symptoms.

Over at kickas.org they have a recipe forum for the no starch diet.

Take care,
    Sheri

hi all , thank you so much for all your suggestions, i am mostly vegetarian, but i seem to want a bit of meat now and again, but find it difficult to digest, though getting a bit better now i take enzymes, eggs were good , but cant stand the smell ! lately. i tried just fruit , but it burns my stomach first up of a morning, though ok later in the day. the rice tastes ok, but thought i was maybe having too much rice with it and rice bran, and rice milk ? and worried about the starches aggravating the inflamm. ? i will have to educate myself more . appreciate all your input . πŸ™‚ kind regards ..di.

bonnielou
    Keymaster

Hi Dianne. I eat oatmeal many days, with flaxseed, walnuts, and usually blueberries (fresh in season, or frozen). I have been using coconut milk for awhile now, and I think it is working well for me. I also make egg salad often, with diced scallions and cucumbers, and eat on a bed of chopped greens. Those are my standards. Sometimes I am amazed at how my diet has changed, and for the most part I am very happy and satisfied. But once in awhile I miss those old frosted flakes! πŸ˜€

Bonnie

Bonnie Lou
    RA 02/07,AP 10/07
    Minocycline 200mg MWF; Plaquenil 100mg 3 days/week
    Fish Oil, Ubiquinol, Turmeric, Vit C (2 grams) , MultiVit, Magnesium, Astaxanthin, D3 (5000), probiotics and a daily dose of yoga!

hi bonnylou, i hadnt thought of coconut milk, that could be an option too. i couldnt get the monster muesli that lynnie suggested, i live in a small town , though we have coles, woolies and a health shop, they dont keep a lot of stock.i got a muesli called ” carmans” 100% australian made and owned. so i will give that a go. BON APPETIT to you all. thank you bonny lou. ..kind regsrds ..di.

desgirl
    Participant

Hi Dianne,

Can you tolerate eggs baked in something? If so. I am on a starch free diet and can give you a recipe for almond flour cake that you can eat for breakfast that is starch free.

hi desgirl, thank you very much for the recipe offer. its certainly worth a try πŸ™‚ is it gluten/dairy free? if so would love to try it..thank you ..kind regards ..di.

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

Where do you get gluten-free products in the U.S.? I saw some on amazon but they aren’t sold in most stores.

Jan

Parisa
    Participant

Dianne,

If you check out SCD (specific carbohydrate diet) and paleo diet sites, you might get some good ideas.

Pecan Bread is a SCD site that has recipes: http://www.pecanbread.com/new/recipes.html

I hope you find something there to help make your mornings a little better.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.