Home Forums General Discussion What constitutes a positive anti ccp result?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    stile RA
    Participant

What number constitutes having a positive anti ccp test, or does having a number of any kind mean you test positive?  My dr. wouldn't say.

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=1140]stile (RA)[/user] wrote:

What number constitutes having a positive anti ccp test, or does having a number of any kind mean you test positive?  My dr. wouldn't say.

Hi Stile,

Your doc wouldn't explain the test to you? That's a bit odd. 😕 I seem to remember you sharing some time back that you were seronegative for RA? Has this status now changed?

It really depends on the lab you're using as per the ref ranges for anti-CCP. I use Quest and here are the ref range classifcations for you:

Negative <20

Weak Positive 20 to 39

Moderate Positive 40 to 59

Strong Positive > or = to 60

Notes with assay description read: “A negative result indicates no CCP IgG antibody present or levels below the assay cut-off. A positive semi-quantitative results indicates the presence of CCP antibody IgG antibodies of increasing levels.”

Do you request copies of all your bloodwork? If not, this might be a good idea so you can keep track of your progress and also to have a history to hand in case you need to switch docs. I keep all my montly bloodwork in a folder in dated order and it really helps to look back and see progress over time. More difficult if you are deronegative, of course, but still important to watch inflammation markers like SED and CRP, plus whole blood counts, especially if anemia is a problem.

Hope this helps, Stile!

Peace, Maz

PS I'd have to disagree with the part I bolded above, because rheumies don't usually recheck the anti-CCP test on a regular basis and use it merely as a prognostic indicator for severity. In my case, my anti-CCP was off the charts in the beginning, but had been coming steadily down this past year, though it can fluctuate up and down at times. So, I don't think it necessarily indicates antibodies of “increasing levels” when one is on AP longterm. 😉

tbird2340
    Participant

I use LabCorb and their levels are:

Negative 0-5
    Positive >5

Mine is listed as >100! :O

My Rheumy was the same way (only had 2 appts w/ him and they were both pre AP).. He said I had a positive Anti-CCP and I asked what it was.. He was hesitant to tell me and told me that really didn't matter..

I told him I wanted to know regardless and he finally told me.. Not sure what the reasoning was behind that.. Maybe because it was so high?

stile RA
    Participant

Thanks for the info. My dr. isn't very forecoming. I am going to start requesting copies of my labs though.  And yes, I am still seronegative.  Stile

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘ What constitutes a positive anti ccp result?’ is closed to new replies.