Home Forums General Discussion Weight gain on AP?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    tramsay
    Participant

I have heard some have put on weight but yet some have lost weight from the anti-biotics? Any suggestions? I have been putting on weight for last few months, now been 6 months on AP, it bothers me immensely putting on this weight and as we all know you need to have a positive mind for health recovery, days when depressed doesn’t help any… anything I should try to do, not do?

gordbentley
    Participant

in my case the weight gain was a good thing considering i had lost so much, i went from 150 pounds to 135. now back up to 150 ๐Ÿ™‚ this is really good considering im 6’6″.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

tramsay – have you considered going gluten free? I’ve heard that 80-85% of people with chronic illness are/have become sensitive many chemicals in food, primarily to gluten and dairy. If you cut out gluten (really cut it out) you are almost certainly going to lose weight. I lost 11kg initially (just over 24 pounds), although I’ve now put on 4 pounds or so (which I needed to as I was a little too thin). I’ve also been told that losing weight on a GF diet is an indication that your body is intolerant to it. And, as a bonus, cutting out gluten should help reduce any inflammation. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Eileen
    Participant

Hi Tramsay,

Keep a good check on your thyroid. Such was the case w/me when I really tipped the scale and it was overlooked by many md’s even though I knew my thyroid was shot.

Eileen

judy cash
    Participant

Tramsay,
    I have gained (un)needed weight since starting AP also. I ask Dr. S. in Iowa about it and he said, he didn’t think it was the AP. But I have gained a lot of weight since, so what else could it be. He said most people lose weight. I have not changed anything else. I noticed that I don’t crave sweets like I did before I started taking probiotics, so I rarely eat sweets, I should be loosing weight instead of gaining. I have been very concerned about this and it makes me very depressed also. I wish I knew what to do. If you find anything that might help, please let me know.
    Thank,
    Judy

maz.aust
    Participant

Hi Judy,

Was just thinking about your problem, maybe your body is absorbing foods better since you started AP rather than expelling most; as when this happens to people who give up cigarettes, most gain weight, but it is because of the absorbsion of the foods they are eating rather than actually eating more.

Dec07: Diagnosed PRA, (CTD; Fibromyalgia; suspected Lyme):
    Mar08: Diet to heal gut/bolster immune system (no gluten, dairy, sulphites or sugar)

Jan 2018: ABX Mon/Wed/Fri (started AP 2008)
    1/2 x 150mg Roxithromycin(Biasig), 1/2 x 150mg Clarithromycin (Klacid),
    1/2 x Fungillin, 1 x 250mg Cephalexin (Keflex)

All off days Probiotics

mlouise
    Participant

Dear Folks,

I began this journey by losing weight. I am not sure what caused me to lose weight, but it certainly started before I began the Mino. I have scleroderma and I weighed 145 in March 2010 and by August I weighed 108. I was not overweight before and I was extremely athletic. I have since November began to put on some weight (I now weigh 115), but if I get off schedule even for two meals. I begin to lose again. I wonder if it is the nature of SD vs RA? I am not gluten-free per se, but I never eat bread, cereal (except cream of rice), cookies, cakes, etc, because I find them too difficult to swallow and I always get more heartburn than usual when I eat them.
    I have begun to do some simple aerobics again (no weights, yet) Just trying to move around, hoping to gain some stamina back. Any bit of activity should help to get the heart beating faster and improve mobility, Right?
    It is odd to say— but maybe your metabalism has slowed down since the onset of the disease or the beginning of the antibiotics. You may have thyroid trouble, as mentioned earlier or it could be a lifestyle change- maybe less activity and more sedintary living. Just a thought. You would know whether you have changed anything. Alot of times when folks gain weight without necearrily eating more, it is because of less activitiy and unfortunately as we age we do less and consequently the metabolism slows down. (I am not suggesting that you are old, but I know I am!) ๐Ÿ™‚ mlouise

Trudi
    Participant

I have also gained weight since being on doxycycline. This article was in my inbox yesterday and may shed some light on the subject:

http://www.healthiertalk.com/are-antibiotics-making-you-fat-3631

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

Eva Holloway
    Participant

Trudi and all,
    but if we take probiotics and keep the gut healthy why are we still gaining weight? I know I have gained some weight back since my surgery, some I needed the last 5 pounds I could do without ๐Ÿ˜ฎ ๐Ÿ˜ฎ ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
    Eva

Eva Holloway

judy cash
    Participant

HELLO EVERYONE,
    Most of the weight I have gained is in my belly and sides, the other areas of my body have only slightly added weight. I think maybe that not being active over the past several years has hurt me, but the weight started very quickly after I started AP. I mean I put on 20 pounds in the first 6 months of starting….I really am not eating that much food, I know. I do cook the country way, with lots of potatoes and meat and using lard to season, but this the same way that I have always cooked…….
    Judy

mariemcminn
    Participant

I, too have a problem keeping on weight, but mostly because of my diet. I’m very restricted, so I’m on a gluten-free, low-inflammatory diet, which basically gets rid of all foods that cause weight gain.

maz.aust
    Participant

Lucky you Judy .. all that potatoes & lard , if I ate that I would flare !!!!!

Dec07: Diagnosed PRA, (CTD; Fibromyalgia; suspected Lyme):
    Mar08: Diet to heal gut/bolster immune system (no gluten, dairy, sulphites or sugar)

Jan 2018: ABX Mon/Wed/Fri (started AP 2008)
    1/2 x 150mg Roxithromycin(Biasig), 1/2 x 150mg Clarithromycin (Klacid),
    1/2 x Fungillin, 1 x 250mg Cephalexin (Keflex)

All off days Probiotics

tramsay
    Participant

Thanks for all the comments ๐Ÿ™‚

Lynnie, I am sugar free, dairy free (recently), not completely gluten free, I usually only eat grains or bread once a day if that though. (eat gluten free crackers/oatmeal/pretzels) I just went completely dairy free a couple weeks ago as I received stem cell treatment which I am so happy to say that this has made me feel the best I have felt in at least a year (and not on DMARDS like I was before) or longer! Now that I’m over the ‘6 month’ mark with AP I believe in combination of that, going off the mtx, going for ozone and chelation treatments, and now receiving this treatment I am much closer to remission. I can use my hands, wrists, put on any shoes (feet were so swollen), makes me so happy, I just need to be careful to keep inflammation down and the stem cell treatment will last until I am in remission ๐Ÿ˜€ (I hope!) I do now feel better being dairy free, I crave it a bit, you don’t realize how much you actually eat of it when you can’t have (I absolutely can’t after cell treatment) that’s why a tiny bit of bread a day I look forward to ๐Ÿ˜‰ I think I have lost a few pounds but also think there might be an issue with my thyroid to explain why the sudden weight gain…

Judy, have you had your thyroid checked? I got a requisition from my family doctor to get mine checked so we’ll see what happens with that! I have iodoral which I am tempted to start taking now… Be curious to see since you and I are both having this?

Thanks again all! Glad some of you didn’t put on weight, another thought would be because I went off methotrexate? I think I had lost some when I first went on and now that off put back on?!

A Friend
    Participant

@judy cash wrote:

Tramsay,
    I have gained (un)needed weight since starting AP also. I ask Dr. S. in Iowa about it and he said, he didn’t think it was the AP. But I have gained a lot of weight since, so what else could it be. He said most people lose weight. I have not changed anything else. I noticed that I don’t crave sweets like I did before I started taking probiotics, so I rarely eat sweets, I should be loosing weight instead of gaining. I have been very concerned about this and it makes me very depressed also. I wish I knew what to do. If you find anything that might help, please let me know.
    Thank,
    Judy

Judy,
    Dr. Brown in his writing said most people would either gain weight or lose weight during their illness. But, as they got better, their weight would usually stabilize and return to what is normal for them. Another explanation of weight gain with chronic illness (or being toxic, which is part of our illness, I feel) that I’ve read is that the body stores toxins in fat cells, and the body may make a lot more fat cells if we have lots of toxins we cannot excrete to keep them from harming. There are reasons why the body will store toxins, such as not having enough available minerals to neutralize the toxins so they can be safely excreted. (I’m paraphrasing this explanation from what I remember) … but as soon as we begin to get better and better, we may be able to excrete more toxins and fewer fat cells will be needed, so maybe then is when we lose unneeded fat cells and we lose weight. Best of luck, and get better!
    AF

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Lynnie, I am sugar free, dairy free (recently), not completely gluten free, I usually only eat grains or bread once a day if that though. (eat gluten free crackers/oatmeal/pretzels)

Judy – a key may be in what you have said here. There is absolutely no point in being almost gluten-free. If you are gluten sensitive – which those with Leaky Gut are, gluten will get into your bloodstream. The body then produces antibodies to rid your body of these ‘invaders’ and antibodies to it will continue to be produced on any amount of gluten digested. What’s more, a small amount of gluten may be making you very hungry. When I was newly gluten-free, I told my doc I was eating every 4 hours (as per instructions to keep blood sugar levels constant) but that I was ravenously hungry all the time. My doc told me I must be consuming some hidden gluten and that my body was simply craving more. As soon as I eliminated the source of gluten, I stopped feeling ravenous. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.