Home Forums General Discussion Was doing great, now a March flare up

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    klogan
    Participant

I was basically in remission this fall/winter, all through my husbands cancer experience even (stress galore). I ate horribly (excuse: stress) and still did good!
    Now, my feet hurt like hell and my knees, elbows, hands, and shoulders hurt. It's better than last year, so I shouldn't complain, but I am anyway. Rash-O-rama also, itch itch itch! I don't know if it's just springtime (traditional flare time for me) or if my diet caught up with me or what. I'm taking an extra celebrex many days – hate to do that because it sounds like it can make everything worse in the long run with the leaky guy and stuff. Don't really have symptoms of leaky gut, unless this flare is it, but one always wonders.

My next goal is to work on diet, see if that helps. I thought MSM was helping, it's so hard to tell.

Don't like the multi-variable confusion of this disease(s). But I need to tackle my diet and stay focused on the long term.

Lizz
    Participant

Klogan – feel free to whine, I completely understand since I've been flaring/herxing for months. I think you body was just in suspension mode while you're husand was ill ( hope he's better ) and now your body wants to let it “all hang out”. My guess is that this is a temporary setback, will pass shortly. Re leaky gut, go to mdheal.org/leakygut.htm, it has lots of good advice and supplement recommendations that made real sense to me. And as far as MSM, if it was working, don't stop now! All the best!

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Klogan,

I second Lizz's comment…I have found that during stressful times when I had to hold tough I did quite well, too, until I relaxed again and the “fight or flee” threat had passed. Just a Maz theory, but I can't help but think that the adrenaline we run on keeps us buoyed…a hormone, it probably has some steroidal effects. So once the adrenaline levels decline that's probably when we flare…kind of like coming off pred.

Have you ever had your adrenal function checked? I'm going to an endo soon and will be asking about this for myself.

How is your dear hubby doing now? Is he still having treatments or all done now?

Peace, Maz  

klogan
    Participant

Thanks both Lizz and Maz for the encouragement and stuff!

My husband is doing great, tired, but back at work at eating pretty well – still relying on shakes. He's all done with treatment (since 12/24/08).

I have never had my adrenal function checked, though my chiroproactor sometimes does testing with kineseology and tells me I need adrenal supplements. I never know quite what to think of kineseology – seems to work but also seems really really improbable. I should really probably go to an endocrinologist.

Maz
    Keymaster

That's terrific news, Klogan!  Please send best wishes to him…even though he doesn't know me! 😉 I know what you've both been through, though, as we went thru the cancer thing and treatments with my hubby about 12 years ago…he's still cancer-free and we hardly ever think about it now. I wish the same for him and you and so good to hear he is back at work and into life again!

Although I haven't had this done, I don't know what to make of kineseology either, but I have come across a lot of people who swear by it…so go figure! There are so many things that have no rational explanation, but I guess the old adage that “absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence” has to apply here until some reasonable explanation is given.

I became a reiki master about 9 years ago and I still to this day can't tell anyone how or why it works (except on an unseen energetic level), but it works…and it seems to work even if people don't really believe in it. I have a friend who trained with me and she now works in a local hospital that employs integrative methods and goes around the wards offering energy work to both patients and stressed out physicians. She's seen some pretty miraculous things happen…patients in uncontrollable pain or scared to death before surgery and the reiki calms them and reduces pain. Some might call it a placebo effect, but it still doesn't really explain why it works for people who are near death or out of it. My hubby had a woman come in his room when he got out of his cancer surgery and was still groggy and not feeling good and asked if he'd like a session. He said he had no idea what this woman was doing (we now know know it was reiki!) and that whatever she did, he felt so much more relaxed and able to sleep.

On a philosophical bender….I often wonder if maybe the real illusion is that we're all cast in separate roles in this life while in our earth suits and we see everything as separate rather than one organism or a whole. I find it all pretty fascinating, though at times I find I still have to suspend my disbelief. The good thing that may come out of it is that the hospital my friend works at is doing a study of the people who do this work and everything has to be documented after a session regarding patient response…so there are some inroads being made by the mainstream to look into alternative modalities, even if it's inexplicable to the medical or scientific mind.

Geez…so much we don't understand…like why we have to get these diseases in the first place! 😕 

Peace, Maz

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Sorry you've been through such a bad time klogan and glad to hear your husband is doing well. I am posting an article again by Leo Galland MD, acknowledged as one of the authorities on Leaky Gut which you may find useful. Hope you find some relief soon. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

sierrra
    Participant

[user=27]Maz[/user] wrote:

I became a reiki master about 9 years ago and I still to this day can't tell anyone how or why it works (except on an unseen energetic level), but it works…and it seems to work even if people don't really believe in it. I have a friend who trained with me and she now works in a local hospital that employs integrative methods and goes around the wards offering energy work to both patients and stressed out physicians. She's seen some pretty miraculous things happen…patients in uncontrollable pain or scared to death before surgery and the reiki calms them and reduces pain. Some might call it a placebo effect, but it still doesn't really explain why it works for people who are near death or out of it. My hubby had a woman come in his room when he got out of his cancer surgery and was still groggy and not feeling good and asked if he'd like a session. He said he had no idea what this woman was doing (we now know know it was reiki!) and that whatever she did, he felt so much more relaxed and able to sleep.

I took Reiki 1 many years ago, and Healing Touch just last month. My interest in energetic healing is renewed, partly because I work in a hospital and oversee volunteers who provide it for patients. (They're some of my favorite volunteers.) The positive effects are definitely more than placebo. One volunteer worked on a patient hooked up to a blood pressure monitor. When her hands were on the patient, the number on the monitor dropped. When she removed her hands, the number rose. She did hands on, hands off several times to test this, and the monitor always showed the same variations. Yesterday I purchased a used massage table and am looking forward to sharing this with family and friends.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘ Was doing great, now a March flare up’ is closed to new replies.