Home Forums General Discussion Von Willebrand Factor

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    jasonjuul
    Participant

Hello,

Von Willebrand Factor (VWG) is one of the serological tests my daughter's Pediatric Rheumatologist does on a routine basis. He seems to focus a lot on this particular marker as an indication of disease activity. My daughter's numbers have fluctuated over the last 5+ years from a low of 149 to a high of 198. Most recently in June it was 189. The top of the reference range is 160 I believe.

I haven't been able to find out a whole lot about VWG. One of my books on rheumatological conditions states that “Factor VIII, or Von Willebrand's Factor … will rise and fall as an acute phase reactants” Author goes on to say “some physicians like to follow this level in children with muscle disease or other diseases in which the blood vessels tend to be involved. A rising level suggests more disease activity, while a falling level suggests things are better.”

Does anyone else on this board have their own or their child's VWG measured and tracked? What's your take on it? I apologize for the open-ended nature of this last question, I'm just not sure exactly what I want to ask. I guess I'm just seeking general comments about VWG.

Thanks a lot,
    John

Suzanne
    Participant

I wonder if this is something specific to MCTD?  I'm not aware of this being tested in my daughter, and do not recall seeing it discussed on JRA boards.  I've seen the term before here and there in things I've read, but not often.

Mom of teen daughter with Poly JIA since age 2. Current med: azithromycin 250 mg MWF.

troysmom
    Participant

my son gets this done about three times a year added on top of his standard order for bloodwork, I know little about it other then it test for activity level of illness.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘ Von Willebrand Factor’ is closed to new replies.