Home Forums General Discussion Vitamin C for skin darkening

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    JeffN
    Participant

I am getting a little darkening on the sides of my face behind my eyes from the mino I would guess. I have read here that vit C might help this. Unfortuantely when I take vit C I develop joint pain. I was wondering if anyone has used and had success some sort of topical vit. C preparation intead of pills etc. Any ideas?

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Jeff;
        How are you doing Kid? My doc warned me not to take much vit.c as it helps form collagen.
       If you are in touch with Cubby can you tell her that someone on the Inspire BB wants to thank her for telling her about AP
                            Lynne

JeffN
    Participant

I have been doing really well of late thanks. I'll email Cubby. She must be on the road as she has not posted anywhere lately. She is quite the rolling stone in the summer.

Every time I take vit C for any more than a few days I get the joint pain going back into the early 80s when people were hot on it to reduce colds. I was just curious about a topical application pro or con.   

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Jeff;
        I am not sure about the molecular structure of vit.C.It mat be too big to pass through the skin or so small that it would and cause the same problem as the oral.
       Just a thought.

Kim
    Participant

Sorry, Jeff, I'm pretty clueless on this one, other than to try sauna therapy to improve circulation and sweat it out.  Could the Vit C be causing a herx response?

Take care…..kim

JeffN
    Participant

Thanks Kim I have been doing the infrared sauna but to get rid of the joint pain caused by the vit c I just have to stop taking the vit. I read here about vit c helping to either get rid of the dark spots or at least help prevent them and thought I would try. I have stoped taking the vit c and it took about three weeks for my joints to return to normal. Maybe I will just try the topical stuff and see what happens… or not.

aynurrzepa
    Participant

Hi Jeff,

Re darkening, not saying it's the case with you but sometimes even SD itself gives dark discoloration. I am darker all over than originally born with, I like have a permanent tan (nice colour though) of a very different shade (reddich olive). I developed this many years/ decades ago (I am on doxy for only 1 month so it's not related). I do nothing about it as it's all over but I specifically avoid taking vit C since I learned it helps form collagen. I don't need more of it, that's for sure. For the same reason, I also stopped taking contraceptives as extra estrogen does the same with collagen. So, orally or topically, I'd avoid any extra vit C and try to reduce its intake through food as well. I never avoided sun before or after the doxy, as I try to get as much vit D3 as I can. I don't use sunblocks except on tops of my shoulders to avoid burning. My SD tan seems to protect me.

As for treating dark circles, try some other antioxidant creams eg with vit E – vit E helps me a lot (with ulcers) so I am sure it can help all with any sorts of skin problems. I am sure just staying on AP will resolve this issue unless it's caused by the abx itself which is something you have to fingure out first, before you start treating it.

Take care

JeffN
    Participant

Thanks for the response aynurrzepa. Yes my skin did get darker from the SD before I began mino. That stabilized almost four years ago and I have not gotten any darker. The spots on my face I believe is a result of the mino and Dr. T agreed with me at my last checkup. He said it was not a big deal just cosmetic. The area where my skin is splotchy is an area that was very tight and due to the mino has returned to normal, I have my wrinkly forehead back. I gather that it is not uncommon for affected areas to darken some after the collagen issue resolves. I'll check into some of the creams you mentioned.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘ Vitamin C for skin darkening’ is closed to new replies.