Home Forums General Discussion vitamin C for hyperpigmentaion from Minocycline

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    charlot
    Participant

Hello,
    What oral dose of vitamin C is usually taken to prevent blue skin hyperpigmentation from Minocycline?
    Can vitamin C be from natural source like Acerola powder and not synthetic (ascorbic acid) ?

Thank you.

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Charlot,

Everyone must be busy over the holidays, hence the slow response!

As far as I know – just a fellow patient and always best to check with one’s doc – the maximum daily oral dose of vitamin C is 2000mg but spread apart (e.g., 1000mg am and pm), as the kidneys will just wash out more than 1000mg at a time (according to my functional med rheumy).

Individual gut tolerance can be an issue as well as absorption issues. For this reason I take 1000mg liposomal Vitamin C with food in AM and PM. My doctor also offers intravenous Vitamin C (Myer’s Cocktails), which means higher doses can be used via this route of administration. I think the highest I’ve tried is 15gms (15000mg via IV). My experience is that these are amazing for inflammation and detoxification.

I’ve never tried Acerola powder so can’t really offer insight on whether or not it will work to help prevent hyperpigmentation. Maybe someone else here can share their experience with it? Why do you prefer it?

How are you doing in general on your AP?

P.S. I just ran a search on Acerola and found a few old posts mentioning it, so you might find those interesting.

Rose
    Participant

Thanks Maz, after 12 years of using Minocycline I have developed bluest spots on my two cheeks, and a couple on my leg. Not happy. I think it was made worse because at one point last year I could not get the Watson brand I was using and had to use another brand. But now I have found Watson again. However the spots are still there.

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Niacinamide helped more than anything else, one capsule a day.You can make a solution but must buy PURE niacinamide powder,not from a capsule.just add 1/4 teaspoon to a 2oz. brown bottle and fill with filtered water.Dab it on the spots

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.