Home Forums General Discussion Vit D3 Supplementation

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    aynurrzepa
    Participant

Hi,

Have any of you who's had low Vit D3 levels and took supplementation succeeded in having your levels improved (a little or significantly) to the required optimal level?

Mine is very low (6 ng/ml! :shock:) and I have been taking 50,000 IU/day for one month now but it remained at that very low level. I am taking sublingual spray as well as soft gels.

Attn: people with SD – because our skin is “different” it is possible it is unable to metabolise the sunshine the way a healthy skin does so the only way to get our vit D3 would be a vitamin supplementation and not the natural sunshine? Any thoughts?

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Aynur – this is from a previous post of mine on D3 supplementation. Lynnie

<span style="color: #0000ff]Actually, I do get a fair amount of sun. Yet, interestingly, my 25-OH Vit D levels last July were on the low side, just in normal range at 54 (normal measured at 51-140). They have now risen to 79. For 12 months, I have been taking a calcium with [highlight= #ffff88]boron[/highlight] supplement prescribed by my naturopath that contains a small amount of Vit D3,  zinc, copper and manganese in it. I take just 1/4 of a tablet daily (and in the ratio of 1″>

http://www.rbfbb.org/view_topic.php?id=4074&forum_id=1&highlight=boron

[/color]

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Eva Holloway
    Participant

aynurr,

my levels where at 17 and I was advised to take 5000 IU a day every day, I kept this up for about six months and finally got it to 30, that was 3 years ago now I am at 45 which is good. I take 2000 IU every day. Seems to keep it steady now. I think too that I am getting healthier it helps with less Vit D3. Another thing is I make sure it is krill oil. I took a capsul with powder that didn't do much, so I check with my health food store and they recommended krill oi only, more effective.

Eva:D

Eva Holloway

jaminhealth
    Participant

In Late 2006, my level was at 15, taking 4K per day I finally got to 34 in about 6 months and that is when the depression lifted.   I continue 4-5K per day along with K2 for better absorption and I'm now at about 80.  I've never had issues and take a little less daily now as doc doesn't want to get higher than where I am now.    jam  

hopefulmama
    Participant

Lynnie,

Would you mind letting us know (or send a PM if you'd rather) with the name of that supplement you described?  It sounds very interesting.  Thank you

Aynurr, I hope you are feeling well!  Still sending you warmest wishes for daily improvement.

A

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Certainly Andrea! The brand is called Osteopatite, made by Nutrition Care – and its a practitioner only supplement. This one is Australian made so probably not available on the net. It contains:

Calcium 115mg (from Hydroxyapatite microcrystalline 460mcg) 

Cholecalciferol (vit D3 50IU) 1.25mcg

Manganese (as amino acid chelate) 5mg

Zinc (as amino acid chelate) 3mg

Copper (as amino acid chelate) 300mcg

Boron (as borax) 1mg

no added sugar, gluten, salt, yeast, wheat, dairy, lactose, artificial colors, flavors or prservatives

You LLMD may know of an equivalant, as she is Australian! Lynnie

P.S. my doc says the amount of Vit D3 supplementation required is highly individualised – so my 1/4 tab of the Osteopatite is what was suggested for me. 

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

jaminhealth
    Participant

I use all the supps that Lynnie uses in one formula, but I use them separately.  Managaese is bigger than we realize as it is known to build strong bones.  I have a Manganese that is 40mg and I take it every other day or so.  The hydroxipatate calcium  was suggested to me and I buy Now Foods Calcium Hydroxiptatat (sp).   Standard Process has a product called Ligaplex II which is excellent.  I've used it and now out of it.  

jam

ajohnson
    Participant

When I was first diagnosed with RA I had a low Vitamin D count of 32 and I've been taking a 2000 tablet that brought my count up  to normal in just a couple of months.

aynurrzepa
    Participant

Thanks so much for all your responses!

Do I hear it correctly that taking Vit D3 supplements alone may not be sufficient and I may need Ca, Mg, Mn as well? I do take krill oll by Dr. Mercola as well as eat all the Vit D containing foods in good amounts.  Interestimg to hear about Vit K2 – if it really does help to absorb Vt D better, I will certaily take that as well.

Unf, I don't have a doc who can determine my personal supplementaiton levels – so I go with max until I hit the required level…

Eva Holloway
    Participant

aynurr,

no doctor at all tha could take your blood and check the level of vit D3? someone should be able to do that where you are. Hopefully.

Eva:D

Eva Holloway

aynurrzepa
    Participant

Dear Eva,

Yes – it's been checked and it's very low 6.29 ng/ml! But my physician is not very pro-active in determining the required levels – I feel it's all coming more from me than him… Finally he Rx-ed me with a One Alpha which converts in liver instead of the kidneys and is usually Rx-ed to those with abnormality of metabolising Vit D or some very severe cases of deficiency/calcium metabolising defficiencies etc.

But guess what… I was told later today that my September test result was actually lost and that they have by mistake given me the values of June!:X

So only tomorrow will I find out what actually hapenned to my D3 levels after the supplementation I took – I really hope there's been an improvement and I don't need One Alpha.

I'll know tomorrow…

Thank you all so much for your support….

aynurrzepa
    Participant

Got my Sep D3 test result – it's doubled so now after almost 3 months of supplementation it's 12. Still VERY low, but I know there is a hope the supplements will eventually help.  My target is min 70.

Mu confusion is cleared now. Your resposes also gave me confidence. Thanks!

susan48
    Participant

Aynurr,

I also had a very low level of Vitamin D – in May it was 13 and is now 58! My dr told me to take 10,000 IU daily of Vit D3 for about 6 weeks and then I took 6,000 IU daily. I will be tested soon to see if I should drop it again.

Good luck!

Phyllis 🙂

Tiff
    Participant

My mom was supplementing with vitamin D for a few years. She just got a bone density test back and the osteopenia she was showing before has actually gone away. That isn't supposed to happen. She has not supplemented with calcium because she got gall stones when she did that before. Yet she still improved. Pretty impressive! I am hoping for the same thing someday, but my case is a lot more complex, so who knows. But I thought that was pretty exciting. She had around 8 when she started, and she took high doses (prescription) for about 4 or so months, then just over the counter.

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Aynur,

How and when are you taking your vitamin D? Are you taking it on an empty stomach or with a meal?

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.