Home Forums General Discussion VIt D?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    motherbear
    Participant

Hi everyone,

It will be a while before my son can see his GP so I am wondering what is the highest dose of Vit D and the safest dose before I get his blood works done.

Many thanks.

Caroline

redrock
    Participant

My doctor suggested 4000 IUs a day. He himself says he sometimes takes 6000 a day.

Kim
    Participant

I take between 5000-10,000/day depending on how much sun exposure I'm getting.

Take care…..kim

redrock
    Participant

I live in Florida and I get a LOT of sun, yet I still have a perpetually low vitamin D level. I'm wondering if there is some type of absorption problem that autoimmune people have that makes them unable to get vitamin D from the sun? And even with supplementation, my blood level is on the low normal side.

motherbear
    Participant

Thank you so much for your replies. I currently have him on an over the counter supplement which is just 2.5ug and the RDA is 50.

Makes you wonder if any of these over the counter supps are any use at all.

I had better get online and look for some that may make a difference but will still get him checked at the Docs to see if he is actually low on Vit D.

I  think that everyone who suffers from an AI disease is low on Vit D and Iron as everyone I know who has an AI disease is always battling Anaemia as well.

I tend to think because of the degree of inflammation suffered it blocks your bodies ability to metabolise them.

Redrock……….Living in the Scottish Highlands  I doubt he has a supply of Vit at all! 🙂

Thanks again…

Caroline

vera
    Participant

I had been taking 8,000 iu of D3 everyday, and my blood tests still showed my D levels too low!  Now, I'm taking 15,000 iu every day (in divided doses), and will have it tested again in a couple months.  My rheumy ordered the blood test, but didn't say anything.  It was my regular doc (also my AP doc) who caught it.  He said I might even start feeling better if I increased the D.  A good authority on vit. D is Dr. Mercola – he has a wealth of info on the subject on his website. :):):)

Lori

motherbear
    Participant

Thanks Lori,

Everyone seems to be on such high doses.  I  have yet to search the net to see what I can order online. At least I know the amount I am giving him now wouldn't suffice an ant! 🙂

Caroline

redrock
    Participant

I buy all my vitamins at Vitamin World. They have it in a 5000 IU gelcap which is very convenient. You might check their website.

Joe RA
    Participant

Cod liver oil is one natural way for D and A  + omega 3 and it comes in flavors, (flavors) the only “fony” thing about it.

motherbear
    Participant

Hi Joe,

Yes he's already on them! 🙂  Many thanks…

Caroline. 

motherbear
    Participant

Hi redrock,

thanks for the info I wil llook it up on the net right now! 🙂

Caroline.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘ VIt D?’ is closed to new replies.