Home Forums General Discussion Viral Induced Arthritis?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Missyb
    Participant

I never knew about a bacteria causing arthritis until a couple days ago. I allegedly had a case of viral arthritis that was precipitated by a case of Adult 5th's disease (parvo 19) (that was before anyone wanted to admit I had anything wrong, now they call “it” MCTD)
     I've also always struggled with fighting off enormous numerous canker sores and fever blisters which they say are both in the herpes virus family (ewww. I know)
    So I always wanted to ask my Dr what would happen if I took an anti-viral.
    I wondered because for a short time I was given Plaquinil, which was anti-malarial ( I think) and I felt fabulous until an allergy developed. To this day I'm not sure if the allergy was the plaquinil or something else that was a coincidence. But for a month I felt absolutely normal and energetic. Now I am on Imuran, it's OK, but I'm still in a lot of pain, and I don't think it's addressing any issue other than reducing my Immune system to nothing, right?
    So if a person doesn't test positive for mycoplasma, could it be a virus causing this?
    Thanks for any thoughts..
    Missy

richie
    Participant

Hi

MCTD is when a person shows overlapping symptoms of lupus RA and SD –usually with some internal problems — Dddont think Fifths Disease is considered MCTD

Also

A person does not necessarily have to test positive for mycoplasma to have RA nor is it a forgone conclusion that mycoplasma exclusively causes RA –in fact only about 55% of people with RA test positive for mycoplasma —minocycline has many properties in treating rheumatic disease –it acts as an anti-bacterial –its acts as an anti -inflammatory –it acts as a DMARD –it acts as an –anti-collaganese –So actually testing positive ffffor mycoplasma is certainly not the criteria for starting an antibiotic approach

Richie

Missyb
    Participant

Hi Richie, thanks for answering. I guess my post doesn't make much sense.. I initially presented with stiff and frozen hands to the rheum. He did some blood work and the only thing I tested positive for was Parvo 19, so he said it was most likely viral arthritis and I should be OK in a couple months. Well, a year went by and I got worse and worse, intestinally, my skin, my eyes etc. He finally re tested me and came up with MCTD. What I am wondering is, I read the bacteria behave like viruses and hide in the cells so do viruses trigger something like this and would long term anti-virals be helpful, if that was the cause of this problem and not mycoplasma?
    Thanks again
    Missy

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Missy – below is a link to a recent article about treating fibromyalgia (and possibly some cases of CFS and Lyme) with antiviral drugs. Best Lynnie

http://www.hepcaustralia.com.au/index.php/news/symptoms-news/45-symptoms-news/594-a-new-fibromyalgia-remedy-antiviral-drugs

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Missy – actually I have just re-read your first post about only just finding out about the bacterial connection to rheumatoid diseases. So this is all probably very confusing for you without a little background. What would probably be a really good place to start is the Henry Scammell book 'The New Arthritis Breakthrough'  and the material under the Education section on the Home Page of this site (just go to grey-blue bar top right and click on the various subjects from the drop down menu). There is also alot of very useful info at http://www.rheumatic.org Things may then start to make a little more sense. I have also pasted a link to a lecture given by  Harold W Clark ( a long term colleague of Dr Thomas McPherson Brown) which also gives an overview of the infectious theory.  Best Lynnie

http://www.arthritistrust.org/Articles/Mycoplasmas%20Properties%20&%20Their%20Role%20in%20Autoimmune%20Diseases/index.htm

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Missyb
    Participant

Hi Lynnie, Thanks for your helpful reply. I have just heard about all this in a book by a Dr Brownstein called Overcoming Arthritis. I read it last week. He recommended Dr Scammel's book  in his book and I noticed Dr Scammel had given his book a good review, so I intend to pick it up ASAP.  I explained to Cheryl, who was kind enough to phone me last Friday, that I had such a tough time getting any of the 13 Dr's I had seen to even pay any attention to my problems since I tested neg for Lupus and RA, that when I found a popular rheum here who validated I was sick and needed help I just stopped right there and happily started the meds.. I have just been grateful for that after the humilation I received at the other's hands and I would say I've been too afraid to ask any questions anymore! I think at my next appt(which is soon), I will bring the 2 books with me, and ask if he's read them and see what he thinks…this Dr has been very kind, I know he has to have seen or heard of the books,especially Dr Scammels. I just will invite his opinion to see where he stands, then I'll know if I need to look elsewhere for Ap. He's never offered it to me or mentioned it, but who knows..maybe you have to ask? In Overcoming Arthritis, there is a big focus on hormones, and I have had a complete hysterectomy..and thyroid, and I'm hypothyroid. I wish there was a Dr who emcompassed all these issues instead of seeing the gyn, the endo and rheum separately..does anyone know if Dr F in Riverside is like that? Is there such a Dr anywhere?
    Missy

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘ Viral Induced Arthritis?’ is closed to new replies.