Home Forums General Discussion tummy troubles

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    linda
    Participant

Finally heard from the doc, and the results were not what I expected. The gallbladder is fine, but I have a tumor in my liver. It looks like a hemangioma, but they're scheduling a CT scan and a biopsy to make sure. Because it's so painful, it's probably going to have to be removed. Any information on how intensive this surgery is would be welcome. I don't know how this will affect my ability to take abx, mtx or remicade, but I'm guessong that the mtx and remicade are out for good. I really wanted this to be gallstones with a quick same day surgery, so I'm pretty bummed right now. I'm just going to focus on the good news, which is that hemangiomas are benign, but any happy thoughts or prayers won't be turned away.

BTW, anyone trying to decide on whether or not to take prednisone, one theory as to the cause of hemangiomas is steroid use. Short term use only, if necessary!!!

Edit:  My bad, steroids don't cause the tumors, but they can accelerate growth of an existing tumor.

linda

Admin

Linda – so sorry to hear it. Do get at least one more opinion. 2nd opinions have a faster recovery than surgeries. Good luck.  john

linda
    Participant

Thanks John,

That is really good advice, esp. since I had never even heard of this type of tumor before. I already have the name of another GI doctor plus all of my test results have been sent to my rheumy. There's really only two options, watch and wait, or remove it. With the amt of pain it's causing, I'm wanting it gone. It's not going to decrease in size so I think I'm past the watching option. So then the real question is do I need a resection or can they just remove the tumor laparoscopically? That's where I really need more than one opinion. I'm hoping for the lap. Of course, the insurance company will have the last say in the matter.

linda

Michele
    Participant

Linda,

So sorry to hear your news. I wish for you that it was simple gallstones, too. A second opinion sounds like a good idea, but I know you have to wait a long time to get into doctors in your area.

My sister-in-law had a complete liver transplant about 2 years ago and is on immune suppressive medicines to keep from rejecting her donor organ. Somehow, there has to be a way to balance your medicine needs.

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!
    Michele

linda
    Participant

Thanks Michele, I appreciate your response. Still waiting for the CT scan appt, then I'm hoping they'll schedule the surgery. Health care here is slower than the service at Denny's-meanwhile, any treatments for the PsA are on hold. Since it isn't the abx damaging my stomach that is causing the pain, I see no reason why I shouldn't be able to go back on the abx after the surgery. I'm dreading the inevitable post op flare, tho.

I hope that you're getting some relief from your pain, did you try another acupuncturist? Let us know how you're doing,

linda

Michele
    Participant

Linda,

Yes, I've experienced Denny's, too!:D:D

Not so swell when health is involved, though!

Elavil is still helping greatly. I'm on my 5th day of Benicar. I need a way to stop the uncontrollable herx, and hope Benicar will modulate. I couldn't put myself into another uncontrollable herx situation on a tiny dose of mino. My psyche just couldn't do that again and survive. So far, I have tolerated Benicar VERY well! A pleasant surprise since I've been so ultra sensitive to minocycline and Lyrica.

Because of Elavil and Benicar, I have moved from 3 vicodin and 2 celebrex a day to 1 vicodin. But, the situation will undoubtedly change once mino is reintroduced. The critters causing my pain do not like mino. I sure hope Benicar will provide the brake system I need.

Hang in there, and thanks for keeping us updated on your situation!

Michele

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘ tummy troubles’ is closed to new replies.