Home Forums General Discussion tummy hurts when take antibioctic

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    sandratl
    Participant

Could anyone recommend anything to relieve my stomach nausea, pain etc. when I take my doxcycline? In the past, I've taken acid blockers, such as tagament, prilosec and protonic.  But now they do not work.  I can barely get my antibiotic down without feeling like I'm going to throw up.  I  never took a proibiotic during my 4 years on doxcycline.  I'm taking it now, but my stomach still hurts like crazy. If anyone can give me any advice, I would really appreciate it.  

spacehoppa
    Participant

Hi Sandra,

Just a thought – I have a stomach ulcer too and take a probiotic as well as the antibiotic. I have noticed though, that if I take a probiotic with too many bacteria in, in my case 10 billion live bacteria per capsule, it makes my ulcer hurt.

If I take one with 4 billion live bacteria per capsule, it doesn't make my ulcer hurt. Just check your probiotic and see how many bacteria per capsule.

You might find that taking a lower strength probiotic, or even a different brand, or not taking it as often aggravates your tummy less and allows you to tolerate the doxy.

It could be that the doxy and the probiotic combined are what's pushing your tummy over the edge. Plus, maybe you need to take a break from these meds for a few weeks to allow your stomach to heal if it is very bad.

HTH, ruth

casey
    Participant

Sandra,

We all had the same problem as you with doxy. We would get naseaus within 15 min of taking it and found the only way to alleviate this was to take it with a meal. I tried to take it with just a peice of fruit and still the naseausness. But with a very good meal, none of us have the problem anymore . Are you taking it with food?

m.
    Participant

One MD told me to take the Doxy with food, because eventually it is going to bother your stomach.

Another MD told me to take it away from food, so it is fully absorbed and not wasted.

What to do?

My husband had some bad reflux problems a few years ago, and it turned out he had an H. pylori infection. He still will drink a tea of hot water, powdered slippery elm, cinnamon and honey to soothe any irritation in the esophagus.

mommaof2princesses
    Participant

That tea sounds yummy! I get reflux on occasion so thats good to know, I would even drink that if Ididn't have reflux it sounds good! Another thing I have done for reflux is to suck on slippery elm lozenges, i help me with reflux and when I am sick (sore throat)

m.
    Participant

[user=944]mommaof2princesses[/user] wrote:

That tea sounds yummy! I get reflux on occasion so thats good to know, I would even drink that if Ididn't have reflux it sounds good! Another thing I have done for reflux is to suck on slippery elm lozenges, i help me with reflux and when I am sick (sore throat)

You can make the tea thin, or thick like a…gruel, for lack of a better word.

Yes, it's good. We found a NOW brand powdered Slippery Elm on iHerb.com

mommaof2princesses
    Participant

Cool! Thanks for the info. I used to get the powdered slippery elm from an ND I used to see and wasn't sure where to get it on my own. How much of all of the ingredients do you use?

m.
    Participant

[user=944]mommaof2princesses[/user] wrote:

Cool! Thanks for the info. I used to get the powdered slippery elm from an ND I used to see and wasn't sure where to get it on my own. How much of all of the ingredients do you use?

Oh, we don't measure. 🙂 Heat the water, and add the slippery elm until you get the consistency you want (thin tea to thick gruel). Dash of cinnamon, if desired. Honey or sugar, to taste.

mommaof2princesses
    Participant

perfect thanks!! I dont do well with caffeine so I am always searching for that perfect warm drink for the cool months. I found a caffeeine free herbal green tea, but that sounds yummier, maybe I will throw some nutmeg in too…hmmm 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘ tummy hurts when take antibioctic’ is closed to new replies.