Home Forums General Discussion Trip to Iowa to see Dr. S.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    magsmc
    Participant

O.k. I have been on oral AP for about 2 months, and am scheduled to Iowa for Dr. S. and probably IV antibiotics soon.  I am quite nervous about going, as it's my first time leaving my kids with family and my husband and I will also have to travel alone.  I don't know what to expect.  Will I get sick, is it safe to go alone, any other insights?  I would appreciate so much hearing from others who have made this journey.

Parisa
    Participant

I'm sure others will chime in with their personal experiences.  I only know what I've read on this board and that is that the trip is well worth it.  I'm sure everything will go well and I'm happy for you that you are one step closer to getting better.

Bobbie
    Participant

I returned from Ida Grove two weeks ago and it was a great experience. My daughter flew with me and we rented a car in Omaha.
    Ida Grove is a small quiet towm, and seems like a very safe place. People are very very friendly, hospital staff helpful and also very friendly. Dr. S. is a gem !!!
    The hospital is only a couple of minutes down the road from the motel . You can go any time you like for the IV's as long as there is 6 hours between them. I had no side effects from them and enjoyed side trips to other towns for shopping and sightseeing in between treatments .
    Feel free to email me with any questions
    Bobbie

A Friend
    Participant

Magsmc,

If you will go to General Discussion (click on it above) and then click on the link to RBF's old archived messages (link is inside message), it will take you to the screen where you can:

– click to read messages on old RBF BB

– then click on “search” button and type in the words “going to Ida Grove” — and a number of messages covering people's comments and experiences of having gone there. 

I went there soon after I was diagnosed with RA or Lupus or MCTD (was the MCTD, I'm pretty sure — labs showed RA, but diagnosing rheumy where I live said it was not RA… go figure).  I went every 6 months over the next 2-1/2 years.  I had amazing results which began about 4 months after the initial period of die-off and herxing.  I had read the book, and knew that these trying things would happen.  It was, no doubt, one of the best decisions I've ever made to go there. 

I believe reading the experiences of others who've gone there will reassure you.  The Delux Motel was the only one in town when I was going.  It was immaculately clean and the owners very helpful and friendly.  Regardless of where you stay, you might like to stop by there and sit in the little lobby and read some of the composition books filled with patients' stories who stayed there while having treatment.  I started the first one (at about my 5th trip there), but never had to return and never got to read them. 

Good luck to you,

AF 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘ Trip to Iowa to see Dr. S.’ is closed to new replies.