Home Forums General Discussion Thyroid issues linked to Lyme/ mold

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    cavalier
    Participant

http://thyroid.about.com/b/2013/08/12/lyme-disease-and-mold-exposure-the-link-to-thyroid-disease.htm?nl=1

sharing the above article. Am back from seeing Dr B. in Beloit Wisc. The doc had Lyme himself he knows a lot about it but doesn’t treat it – he suggested the same clinic seeing the lady doc in Waukesha that was recommended by a forum member here or a doc he said that has treated in Nashville – Dr R. who I do have a apptmt to see in Sept.

I got LDA I got chemicals, foods & enviro – I had positive responses to all 3 – espec. the 1st 2 though – he said wow your foods allergies are high & chemicals but I already knew I was very sensitive to these.
    He said my phrenic nerve & lungs & heart pathways as well as stomach are all classic Lyme pathways. He said the inability to raise my arms up for long is also from the Lyme – too bad the doc’s I have seen don’t know what he does but I agree with him. I had a surgery for the arms TOS surgery didn’t help & a phrenic never graft also didn’t help. He felt some of the med’s my doc here had not covered my cysts at all & I agree why I have been on the hunt for another doc to treat me. He said Biocidin is a good cyst buster til I can get on AP from a Lyme doc. He said my thyroid he already knew I was not being well controlled – he is having labs drawn for antibodies & wants to check other functions – but he at least could see the bags under my eyes & my eyebrows which is what I have been saying to Dr C is I felt I needed more med for the thyroid but I kept going back & this doc said he was not checking deep enuf. He is the 2nd doc who said it was wrong to use Cytomel with Armour Thyroid medication so I feel uneasy & pretty sure that as I said my thyroid was not being addressed properly. I had brought Dr C. a article if you don’t get enuf proper med the heart will get stiff due to being too low thyroid & my body temp struggles still – all of which are important. I feel this doc well one of his expertise is the thyroid so I feel I am in more capable hands.

The BIGGEST thing & it makes sense is that he told me – no matter how much AP I take NONE of it will do me any good if my thyroid is not working well enuf! That my body cant use it well enuf to make my immune fight without that. So I feel this may explain why my system is so bogged down by metals & issues & I have not seen the benefits from AP like others have

The LDA is to also help my immune balance & work better more effectively. He addresses the gut too so he is well versed.
    I like him a lot & his prices are not gouging. He gets the importance of eating well. Of course no glutens grains etc.

He feels my autoimmune marker is just Lyme causing this & other inflammatory markers this LDA helps as a big antiinflammatory.

The last bit of news is a Rare disease Doctor took a special interest in my case thru a mutual friend as he is not seeing patients now – he is doing lectures & & working on a project. But he found by doing salvia testing – these fall under the general umbrella of parasites but they are hardly the types I have ever heard of – but they from googling are evidently real. Lyme loves to have these co-issues. Problem is this is also serious, but so far I cant find any doc who is familiar /willing to treat. He can’t treat me out of state.
    strong influence by three or four parasites, total- both flukes and a microfilaria, more precisely Strongyloides, Schistosome and Fasciola hepatica or F. buskii. Treatments would be standard for these, but in someone like you administered slowly and carefully.
    He says – There was no question about yours.
    Medscape says that if levels are high enuf it will show up in saliva.

Jill
    too many to list almost SD Lyme Cpn candida heavy metals – broad group of parasites but no worms. Is it any question I have Lyme? – nope with these findings & also strong symptoms as well as the positive tests.

Trudi
    Participant

@cavalier wrote:

he suggested the same clinic seeing the lady doc in Waukesha that was recommended by a forum member here

The BIGGEST thing & it makes sense is that he told me – no matter how much AP I take NONE of it will do me any good if my thyroid is not working well enuf!

Hi Jill–
    That is good to know that he also recommends Dr. D. M. She is very knowledgeable in the workings of the thyroid. I used to be on thyroid meds–I may have to revisit this part of my healing.
    Take care,
    Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

cavalier
    Participant

Trudi – Dr B. is taking care of my thyroid – he is very good at this. He’s in Beloit & I feel he has that finally starting to be covered for me. We have family up there so I can combine the trips. And we just purchased a 2nd home up there for us in N Il.
    I gotta do get the blood work done he will review that he wants to see the antibodies etc more in depth which is a good thing.
    But yes he felt she had the Lyme deal covered he mentioned another doc too & I heard of another in Milwaukee.

Jill

Krys
    Participant

@cavalier wrote:

He felt some of the med’s my doc here had not covered my cysts at all & I agree why I have been on the hunt for another doc to treat me. He said Biocidin is a good cyst buster til I can get on AP from a Lyme doc. …

The BIGGEST thing & it makes sense is that he told me – no matter how much AP I take NONE of it will do me any good if my thyroid is not working well enuf! .

Jill, it worries me that you are to be on cyst busters while AP, due to malfunctioning thyroid, will NOT work on the bugs released into the system.
    Why not “let the sleeping dogs lie” (the cyst forms, biofilms, etc) until the antibiotics will be able to kill them off? If the bugs are released into the system and nothing will stop them from multiplying and doing further damage, why even consider the cyst busters at this point in the treatment?
    Krys

cavalier
    Participant

Krys – I don’t understand. I am increased on my thyroid medicine – he was saying before that time that the AP wouldn’t be effective or work because I was not on enuf thyroid medicine by my prev. doc.

So why not take a cyst buster? It will kill off the bugs now that theyh thyroid med has been adjusted. I don’t quite understand I guess.

I am on bactericidals from Nutramedix in addition to the cyst buster.

Jill

Trudi
    Participant

@cavalier wrote:

Krys – So why not take a cyst buster?

Hi Jill–
    I’m near certain that Krys is referring to information in Stephen Buhner’s Healing Lyme Disease Coinfections (page 307) where he advocates leaving the biofilms alone. He feels that if the biofilm is broken open, it will allow the bacteria to infect more areas of the body, especially if the antibiotics are not effective in killing off the emerging bacteria, making the symptom picture much worse.
    Take care,
    Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

Krys
    Participant

Jill,
    I thought that as your thyroid is not working well, then even though you have started taking thyroid meds, it would be more prudent to wait until you defenses (thyroid, immunity) are all strong and when that is achieved, then start using the cyst busters. I don’t know how long it takes for the thyroid medication to make the thyroid all good and all the problems that were due to its malfunctioning, disappear. My understanding was that it takes a while. And as you said that abx (then antimicrobials, too) would not work with weakened thyroid condition, I wondered why all the rush to let the beasties free? Why not first prepare the terrain and knock out, as much as possible, the beasts that are roaming around doing the damage?

Trudi, yes, Bhuner’s idea does resonate with me. I have wondered all last 3-4 years about the sense of using the biofilm busters if we can never get rid of the bacteria totally. But at the same time, I DO like the idea of getting rid of the slime, cysts and all.
    I started taking the busters a few months into abx and I felt I was going insane after every dosage (neurological aspect of Lyme &Co). But after many months (and slowing down on the dosage considerably) it greatly improved. Then I did not take any for 1 year. Last few months I’ve had to take big amounts of NAC just to feel I am alive and unfortunately it means, at that amount, biofilm busting again. It is hell let loose. If I had had a choice, I would have not done it now.

Jill, may you have huge progress with your new protocol!
    Krys

cavalier
    Participant

I appreciate the explanation Krys – my Lyme doc cant see me til Oct which is a problem as I could use some input. I have made a apptmt with a doc over in Nashvl for the beg. of Sept who deals with Lyme as I don’t feel I can wait. Also 2 doc’s have questioned his care for my thyroid & how he was treating this. So it sort of puts other things in question as wel,l plus I feel I could be doing better so maybe with more solid direction.

I am on Venus Fly trap as it is a all in one deal til I do helps with inflammation raises the body temp which helps. I stopped the Biocidin for now as I said I am sort of right now on my own. I cant get Bryon White Formulas as I need a doc even though the A- L formula is what my doc told the nurse to tell me to get – but you cant buy that without a doc. ๐Ÿ™„ I don’t know if he knows that or forgot or what.

I also have the parasite issue to deal with too – so the doc in calif who tested me said have your doc treat or fly to him if he wont well end of Oct is a long way off. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

I get what you are saying. It’s just that the CWD forms are what drives the Autoimmune or AKA Rheumatic issue for those who have Lyme so I felt with my marker going up for SD perhaps it would help also the doc who is treating my allergies & immune system felt that way too. It’s a ying yang thing.
    I felt if the CWD form was killed & you detox at the same time, but as I said I don’t still know enuf about Lyme. I am not sure most doc’s here do either still unfort.

I welcome your thoughts!

Jill

cavalier
    Participant

Is that why I feel crappy right now tired etc Krys?

Jill

Krys
    Participant

Jill,
    Yes, you are spots on: it would help immensely if the docs treating us knew all about Lyme&Co and understood what is happening in our bodies and how best to treat it!
    I don’t know the answers.
    I do know that any of the issues you are dealing with (just the ones I remember) is enough to make you feel exhausted:
    – heart
    – lungs
    – digestive problems + malabsorption
    – Candida, parasites, leaky gut, food allergies and sensitivities
    – malfunctioning thyroid
    – malfunctioning detoxification pathways
    – SD, Lyme, possibly also Bartonella
    – stress of dealing with all of this, constant vigilance, constant need to solve the puzzles and monitor what works and what can or should be added/ changed, etc. Just the stress itself puts the body into the overdrive, overcharges the triple warmer (this ancient fight -or-flight response which steels the energy from all the organs so that we could punch the tiger in the face or flee from it)
    – ? sleeping problems?
    The body is trying to deal with it and as it has already started all kinds of twisted overcompensations long before the symptoms appeared, anything can throw it off into exhaustion. It is already greatly overwhelmed and not coping well.

I’m glad that Venus Fly Trap is working for you! ๐Ÿ˜€
    Any doctor can prescribe Byron White formulas. He/she just needs to open an account with them, which I understand is free and easy to do. Then maybe (I don’t remember the details as I ended up not using this way) give you the password and you buy from the website through doc’s account. You pay at the web store. The formulas are very powerful. I could not handle 1 drop of A-Babs, I had to go 1/2 drop a day for over a week and then very slowly increase.
    Detoxification is a must. With malfunctioning detox pathways it’s just more of a challenge but still needs to be done.
    It’s good that you are consistently using glutathione! (+ so much more that you do :D).

We can’t prescribe and I would be scared to death if I was in a position to do so. I know from RBF and from all the reading that rushing in and doing too much can hurt. I hope the docs you are seeing and the new ones you are to meet with soon will be great ones to decide what to do and how to combine what needs to be done.
    I know that I need to move very slowly at present as adding something that needed to be done threw me backwards into big inflammation and pain only because I thought it was safe to start at full dosage.
    I don’t know where you are at now (your body’s strength in handling new solutions). But because of the seriousness of all the issues you are dealing with, I thought that making sure your thyroid is good, the parasites are treated (their toxins would be undermining work on smooth thyroid and organ functioning but I see that it has to be combined) and Candida is more at bay — would help to prepare the ground for cyst busting. But those are just my thoughts and fears. I don’t really know what would work best for your body.
    May you experience smooth sailing into better health,
    Krys

Trudi
    Participant

@Krys wrote:

I know from RBF and from all the reading that rushing in and doing too much can hurt. I hope the docs you are seeing and the new ones you are to meet with soon will be great ones to decide what to do and how to combine what needs to be done. May you experience smooth sailing into better health

Krys–
    Just wanted to say, your entire post was great!!

Take care,
    Trudi

cavalier
    Participant

Resurrecting this thread – as I suspected I had Hashimotos & Dr B. up in Wisc did as well – he tested me & the results came back confirming this. This link from Mayo’s under causes says this cam be from a virus or a bacteria – well I have Lyme so there ya go -http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hashimotos-disease/DS00567/DSECTION=complications

Jill

Krys
    Participant

@cavalier wrote:

Resurrecting this thread – as I suspected I had Hashimotos & Dr B. up in Wisc did as well – he tested me & the results came back confirming this. This link from Mayo’s under causes says this cam be from a virus or a bacteria – well I have Lyme so there ya go http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hashimotos-disease/DS00567/DSECTION=complications

Jill

I’m sorry there’s another problem added to your cup. It’s already been overflowing, and that’s beyond NOT fair! ๐Ÿ˜ˆ
    But it’s a relief to see you back. I’ve been worrying about you.
    I hope you’ve accomplished some major breakthroughs and moved forward.
    Welcome back!
    Hugs,
    Krys

cavalier
    Participant

How sweet of your Krys! Just busy – we bought a 2nd house & am covered up to my eyeballs & then some – it’s to be closer to hubby’s elderly parents a bit more often & when I go to my doc up in S. Wisc. Should be packing now !
    we will have 2 places to keep up with ๐Ÿ˜ฎ Eeks but our heart is in the right place so it will work out somehow.

Been trying to keep up with my own needs & the dogs I have. Which I could use to place 2 as 9 dogs is a lot for me to keep up with anymore the way I want too, but the right homes etc til then I have the 9.

I have been doing the 1st phase of the parasite cleanse & now I’ve gotten that I’m back to the heavy metals with DMSA 3 days a week – I actually have had some good breakthrus recently, but it’s still delicate & I have to be aware of that.

I do clindamycin 900 mg’s one day a week per Dr S & I find my GI handles the AP so much better where before I had gotten to where I couldnt tolerate any AP before & really struggled, so that’s a big step.

Yes I am tired of the long list but I do believe I get why AP was not able to be successful for me. How could anything really when the immune is so hampered by heavy toxic metals & parasites along with Lyme & Bart. adding in a thyroid not functioning well with not the right amt of medication you can throw all the AP you want but you have to have some of the layers that bacteria can hide behind as well as parasites carry they say part of the bacteria in their replication but with that said the thyroid is integral to the immune as is the gut if that is loaded with parasites well – nothing is going to detox well. I believe Dr K. is correct in that you must get rid of the parasites first before AP will become effective in getting at Lyme & AP wont work against parasites or metals. Those can keep you too sick & you feel like you are spinning your wheels also making it hard to get rid of yeast/candida it all goes often hand in hand. I am no different than a lot of people who have lyme have layers & these are common layers unfort. that most doc’s can miss if they just try to treat you for Lyme without checking for these other things you often don’t get better. That is the mistake that my good doc Dr C. did here was, he only treated me for Lyme & I just wasn’t responding, but I also wasn’t for good doc S. either for just SD. It’s just who would have thought there was more & but as time went on & I got only sicker & weaker I knew I felt blocked & I felt I had no choice but to realize to dig deeper & make sure every corner of possibilities were checked. Seeing these can be typical for chronic Lyme patients especially those who fail to get better then as I got these checked – I got my answers. I would rather it had been short & simple but at least I know what I have to do & it may mean a longer road but it’s finally happening I’m going to get there by the grace of God & some good doc’s along the way who have helped me to get those answers.

Jill who’s determined to drop the litany of issues ๐Ÿ˜€

Krys
    Participant

@cavalier wrote:

Jill who’s determined to drop the litany of issues ๐Ÿ˜€

I love your signature line!!!
    Yep, you have been an amazingly busy lady! And your heart certainly IS at the right place.
    I’m so relieved you are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel!

I have been doing the 1st phase of the parasite cleanse & now I’ve gotten that I’m back to the heavy metals with DMSA 3 days a week

I’ve been working on parasites myself and greatly appreciate your mention of DMSA. I did not plan on doing anything in that direction as 3 years ago I only tested positive for aluminum. But seeing how persistent and hard to get rid of the parasites are, I think it would be wise if I do chelation anyway.

I do believe I get why AP was not able to be successful for me. How could anything really when the immune is so hampered by heavy toxic metals & parasites along with Lyme & Bart. adding in a thyroid not functioning well….
    I believe Dr K. is correct in that you must get rid of the parasites first before AP will become effective in getting at Lyme & AP wont work against parasites or metals.

How true!
    I responded quite well, though very slowly. And then had a relapse when some major stressors showed up. And instead of later improving, parasites took hold and my doc was too gentle in his approach. Looking back, I wish treatment was focused on parasites once I found out I had been a good host. ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

Those can keep you too sick & you feel like you are spinning your wheels also making it hard to get rid of yeast/candida it all goes often hand in hand. …

Seeing these can be typical for chronic Lyme patients especially those who fail to get better then as I got these checked – I got my answers. I would rather it had been short & simple but at least I know what I have to do & it may mean a longer road but it’s finally happening I’m going to get there by the grace of God & some good doc’s along the way who have helped me to get those answers.

Thank you for sharing your journey and your discoveries!
    I don’t know how to introduce DMSA…. Can one take antiparasitics and DMSA on the same days? If not and DMSA is pulsed, can one take antiparasitics on the days off DMSA? I can’t afford taking any breaks longer than a day lately. They bounce back with added vigor and seem to develop resistance to pretty strong drugs.
    Thus far it looks like it’s going to be a longish journey …. ๐Ÿ‘ฟ

Jill, I’m very grateful to you for bringing the subject up. I thought I had been the only person on RBF struggling with parasites. I read that once the parasites are completely cleared, lots of issues often resolve, including lingering Lyme and thyroid problems! I hope it applies to you (and all of us with this problem)!
    Krys

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.