Home Forums General Discussion The pathogenisis and treatment of mycoplasma infections

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    BrendanG
    Participant

Hi All
    Found this on the net a few minutes ago.  If it is old new please disregard.

http://www.morgellons-uk.net/?p=467
    The pathogenisis and treatment of mycoplasma infections
    July 30, 2008 |

Antimicrobics and Infectious Disease Newsletter (Elsevier Science) 1999; 17(11): 81-88.

THE PATHOGENESIS AND TREATMENT OF MYCOPLASMAL INFECTIONS
    Garth L. Nicolson
    The Institute for Molecular Medicine, Huntington Beach, California

DiamondTNT
    Participant

Thank you, BrendanG.  I don't remember reading this one before and it's a very good and easily understood explanation of it all.

mschmidt
    Participant

GREAT article Brendan!! Thanks so much for posting it–I'm going to pass it on to my local IM doctor, who is managing my care with Dr. F.  I finally tested positive for mycoplasma on my most recent bloodwork, and can explain to him now why antibiotic therapy is being used to treat my “infection.”:D:D

Maria

Maz
    Keymaster

Brendan, thanks for posting this….Prof. Garth Nicholson has a great site, if you haven't found it already at: http://www.immed.org

There were some really interesting links on the Morgellon's site you sent and I'm going to have a cuppa and a read through now. Thanks for sharing! 😀

Peace, Maz

DiamondTNT
    Participant

The recommended treatments for diagnosed mycoplasmal blood infections require long-term antibiotic therapy, usually multiple 6-week cycles of doxycycline (200-300 mg/day), ciprofloxacin (1,500 mg/day), azithromycin (500 mg/day) or clarithromycin (750-1,000 mg/day). Multiple cycles are required, because few patients recover after only a few cycles, possibly because of the intracellular locations of mycoplasmas like M. fermentans and M. penetrans, the slow-growing nature of these microorganisms and their ability to exhibit persistence as dormant forms and their relative drug sensitivities. For example, of 87 GWI patients that tested positive for mycoplasmal infections, all patients relapsed after the first 6-week cycle of antibiotic therapy, but after up to 6 cycles of therapy 69/87 patients recovered and returned to active duty. The clinical responses that were seen were not due to placebo effects, because administration of some antibiotics, such as penicillins, resulted in patients becoming more not less symptomatic, and they were not due to immunosuppressive effects that can occur with some of the recommended antibiotics.

Anybody have anything to say about the part I bolded?  Mino isn't on this list and the others appear to be much higher doses.

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=756]DiamondTNT[/user] wrote:

The recommended treatments for diagnosed mycoplasmal blood infections require long-term antibiotic therapy, usually multiple 6-week cycles of doxycycline (200-300 mg/day), ciprofloxacin (1,500 mg/day), azithromycin (500 mg/day) or clarithromycin (750-1,000 mg/day).

Anybody have anything to say about the part I bolded?  Mino isn't on this list and the others appear to be much higher doses. 

Hi Diamond,

These combos, doses and cycles (long pulses) are quite similar to Lyme treatment protocols. In general, way too much for a hypersensitive rheumatic to handle. As for mino in those high doses, it would probably be waaaaaayyy too much for an RAer. Mino tends to have some early side-effects, like vertigo, probably due to intracranial hypertension (mino crosses blood/brain barrier very efficiently), which would be too hard to handle…not to mention better tissue penetration in general, hence greater herxing. LLMDs will use mino, but the preferred cyclines are doxy and tetra.

If you check out Nicholson's site, he alludes to Lyme and GW syndrome as being quite similar in presentation.

Hope that helps a bit?

Peace, Maz

DiamondTNT
    Participant

Thank you, Maz.  You are always here with a wealth of information to share and I so very much appreciate that.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘ The pathogenisis and treatment of mycoplasma infections’ is closed to new replies.