Home Forums General Discussion Talked with rheumie now need to find Minocin

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    prix560
    Participant

I met with my normal Rheumatoligsit today and had a good discussion with him about the Antibiotic Protocol.  He said that this was created back in the day before biologics of which one I am on.  He does not recommend the treatment with antibiotics but agreed to give me six months that way he will see me after I have been on for three months to do blood work and then again in another three months to see if I have had any progression.  I am going to remain on the Enbrel, ween off of MTX by reducing 2.5 mg a week.  I will remain on the Mobic daily and maybe after a few months will try to ween myself off of the mobic also.  After I am completely off of Mobic and MTX I am going to start spacing out my Enbrel  to every other week to test out if I can get off of that.  Finally I am going to see a true AP docotor in alittle over 2 weeks.  I am going to have a long drive ahead of me but I am excited. 

Not all is good though as of right now I can not find anyone who carries the brand name Minocin, I am going to start my research but if anyone knows of any clues please give me a heads up.  If I have no success today with my search I am going to have to settle on a generic brand.  I have already tried to local pharmacist and a Walgreens.

richie
    Participant

Hi
    Good old Louisiana Crawfish –now thats good eatin —-as to Minocin –If your insurance covers it –I would think your local druggist can get it from his distributor for Triax Pharmaceutical –if you have to pay for it or your insurance wont cover the cost –you might try http://www.buylowdrugs.com  –they are a reputable Canadian outfit that many folks around here use –make sure to specify PELLETED CAPSULES –its made in Canada by Stiefel —same product as the US version –ITS much much cheaper than in the US —Good luck
    Richie

richie
    Participant

Hi
    One more thought –you can call Triax and inquire who their distributor is in your area –then you can track things  through —their phone #—1–866–488–7429 —I went this route two years ago after a temporary shortage and picked some up –no distribution problems now at all —
    Richie

prix560
    Participant

Thanks Richie,

I called Triax and they are going to look into finding me a local distributor.  They are not sure why so many places are not selling their product.  They are going to call me back tomorrow with some information.  I also checked out the Canadian website, do you just fax over the perscription, or do you need to mail in the original?  I did not want put any credit card info in until I was sure how they operated.

richie
    Participant

Hi
    I really dont know how they work –you might call them –I never used them as
    I get it local and my insurance covers most of it —Someone else hopefully will see this and inform you –Good luck
    richie

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=480]prix560[/user] wrote:

I also checked out the Canadian website, do you just fax over the perscription, or do you need to mail in the original?  I did not want put any credit card info in until I was sure how they operated.

Hi Prix…well done getting your Minocin rx!!!!!! Yay! You're on your way. 😀

I get my Minocin from buylowdrugs. It's pretty easy and they've been reliable so far. I just fill out the online form, print it out and stick on my prescription. Then, I just fax the 3 or so pages to the FAX number they give on the website and I keep the original script.

As Richie said, you have to be specific on your order saying you want “Brand Name Stiefel Minocin 100mg pelleted capsules only.”

I had a script for 90 caps in my first order and they actually asked if I would like 100caps in order to get a sealed bottle as packaged by Stiefel. Now, I always order in the 100 cap bottles, as it's just one of those things I feel more confident about when it's being shipped through the mail. I think the total order with shipping costs was in the region of $145 or something like that.

Another recommendation is to call them an hour after you make your Fax to ensure they received the order. I do this each time and they actually prefer this so there are no mix-ups. The order usually arrives within 10 days and you have to sign for it at the door.

Hope this helps!

Peace, Maz

John McDonald
    Participant

Prix – Minocin is good stuff, to be sure. But I made considerable progress with lowly Doxycycline. Dr. Brown had real good luck when he started this protocol with even lowlier Tetracycline. Get the best that you can but in this case 2nd best generic Minocycline may just be indistinguishable from the brand Minocin. If I was bent over about the braind I certainly would start on the generic right away whilst I solved that problem. I would rank them like this:

1. Minocin                               Brand name minocycline[/*:3vxwovy2]
    2. generic Minocycline             Chemically very similiar, still a great 3rd generation Tetracycline.[/*:3vxwovy2]
    3. Brand or Generic Doxy         A very good second generation tetracycline.[/*:3vxwovy2]
    4. Tetracycline                        The first generation. I wouldn't use this unless I had no other choice but it might work as well.

[/*]
    There are other promising bacterio-static antibiotics that like the tetracyclines, also target the bacterial ribosome. Of these azithromycin and clindamycin are pretty effective. There are others as well.  If you can't get Minocin right away there are very good alternatives.

prix560
    Participant

I am going to take your advice and get the generic for now and see what comes about.  Does it still have to be the Pelleted capsules?  I was not sure how important that is or how it works differently.

Maz
    Keymaster

Does it still have to be the Pelleted capsules?  I was not sure how important that is or how it works differently.

Hi Prix,

As I understand it, the “pelleted”version is unique to brand name Minocin. In this pelleted form, it's believed that the pellets enable a slow release, which is supposed to enable better tissue absorption and is easier on the gut. This seems to be beneficial for those with scleroderma or gut issues, but also for anyone who finds they need to take lower doses to start, as it's easier to count pellets into another capsule than to mess with small amounts of the powder.

Generic minocycline comes in powdered capsules or tablets. I think it was Richie who once said that Teva and Watson are said to make pretty good generics. Some people do very well on them. However, others have reported here that once they've been on the brand and later move to the generic that thy don't feel it's quite as effective. It's probably an individual thing and also to do with who makes the generic. Some generics are made abroad, like Ranbaxy generic minocycline, which is made in India or Teva generic minocycline, which is made in Israel….although pretty sure the FDA wouldn't allow them if they weren't safe.

You'll find more info in this Road Back article from the main website:

https://www.roadback.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/education.display/display_id/120.html

Peace, Maz

prix560
    Participant

Thanks Maz,

You have been an awsome bastion of information.  It really does help us green horns that have not been able to get any help from the medical field.  I am going to have my perscription filled so that I can get started before my visit with Dr. RK in Texas, on July 18th. 

I started keeping an online journal so that I can report my progress so that i will have a history to update while at work or at home.  I hope I get to put some info on the success board in the future. 

Thank you to all of the people at the Roadback for all of the assistance you have lent me over these last few months.

Maz
    Keymaster

Wow, Prix…only a little over two weeks till your Dr RK appt! You're wise to get started on the generic asap. It would take a good 10 days to get your script from Canada, anyway.

Hope this crawfish eatin' green horn has a mighty fine cattle-drivin' trip out to Texas! If you're wearing a ten gallon when you come back to BBQ yer crawfish, I know you'll be on your road back, good n' proper!  That's my attempt at the southern drawwwlll….hopeless, I know. :roll-laugh:

Peace, Maz

prix560
    Participant

My doc gave me 3 months worth of 100mg twice aday.  Should I do the daily regiment until I go to see Dr. RK. Or should I start with the Pulse.  I am inclined to start the daily routine to try and cause a major punch, but I am not sure and I have read soooooo many different tactics are fighting this stuff.  I am a little nervous about the Herx, but I feel I will be able to handle it.  Just looking to bouce some ideas off of people.  I am going to start a thread on if people would recommend daily or pulse to start until seeing the doc in two weeks.

prix560
    Participant

As far as a ten gallon hat, I have been looking for a sombrero to do yard work in and to goof off in.  I bet I can find a few over there in Texas.  You would be surprised at the accent that the New Orleans area people have, we call ourselves Yats, (Where ya at = Yat), but some areas accent or drawwwl has been compared to New York or Staten Island.  I don't think it is that dramatic though. 

Maz
    Keymaster

I am inclined to start the daily routine to try and cause a major punch, but I am not sure and I have read soooooo many different tactics are fighting this stuff.  I am a little nervous about the Herx, but I feel I will be able to handle it.  Just looking to bouce some ideas off of people.  I am going to start a thread.

Hi Prix,

I'm always a little tentative to make any kind of suggestion about dosing, because everyone is so different and I'm no doc, after all. Although, it might help in some way if I can relate my initial experience.

I thought I'd start out the same as you….100mg twice a day to pack a punch and, hopefully, start bringing down the inflammation. Started slow with first week on 100mg daily, which seemed to be great – no side-effects like dizziness or nausea or even any sign of a herx. So, the second week, I added a further 100mg a day. By the end of the week, I was herxing like the dickens and felt like crap. After chatting with a couple of experienced APers here, I decided to back down to MWF dosing at 100mg twice a day and that seemed to keep the herxing controlled and less debilitating. Certainly did have some transient moments of dizziness in the early weeks, though, even with that….most disturbing when I was turning my head and driving.

As you're having to make the long drive out to Texas to go get your sombrerro, in your same shoes and knowing what I know now, I'd personally start low and slow. Winding back the clock, I'd probably start on 50mg or 100mg on MWF. Please don't take this as medical advice, though….this is just me sharing how things evolved for me and what I'd have done if I'd known how I'd personally react at the time. Your reaction may be quite different, as you're also on other immunosuppressive drugs and I was more of a blank canvas, so to speak. Just concerned that if you do get into some big time herxing, you may not be in too good a shape to make that drive. :sick: 

Others may have some other insights to share based on their experience.

Peace, Maz

A Friend
    Participant

Hi Prix,

Kill Joy/Mother Hen is here…. were I in your place, and I was driving to see Dr. RK from DS,La, I might wait to see her and get tested before starting the Minocin/minocycline.

Just thinking, as I read your post about possibly starting a daily schedule of Minocin, that if you did herx very much, it might make that drive seem longer.  However, since you are on the meds you are taking, they may keep any herxes in check or even from happening.   

Also, it might be that Dr K and/or you might want to have some IVs while there.  If so, are you aware of the really good room rates that the Chamber of C. and Hospice make available to patients traveling to L, Tx, for medical treatment?  If Dr K does suggest IVs, this might save you another trip.  (When I began AP, I had to drive all the way to Ia. (but just every 6 months), and those of us who did/do go there usually spend 5 or 6 days and have two a day IVs, then start Minocin MWF when we return home (for SD dx, daily is usually done). 

Best of luck to you,

AF

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘ Talked with rheumie now need to find Minocin’ is closed to new replies.