Home Forums General Discussion synovectomy/trigger finger release

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Sierra
    Participant

I saw a hand surgeon yesterday at the recommendation of my rheumy. I've had a stubborn swollen joint on my left hand that has now caused my finger to frequently get stuck in a bent position. I am left handed, so it happens every time I write. The way I straighten it out is to massage the base of the finger. I'm eager to have the surgery. Has anyone else had it?

Sierra

richie
    Participant

Hi
    Have you thought of a cortisone injection at the site first –it certainly is worth a try before under going surgery
    richie

stwig
    Participant

Sierra,
    I had the trigger finger surgery for my right thumb about 4 years ago. It was a short, outpatient procedure that took about 35 minutes. It was easy! By the time they took the stitches out a week later, my thumb was usable again. I had tried the cortizone shot prior to the surgery, and it only relieved the problem for a few days, then the problem would reappear. After the surgery my thumb/hand was wrapped up, but I was able to go to work the very next day.

Joe M
    Participant

I agree with Richie, as the rate of infection resulting from hand surgery is documented to be between 5 and 10 percent, which is more than double the rate of serious infection from remicade (as noted in your other post), which is around 2%.

Suzanne
    Participant

[user=20]Joe M[/user] wrote:

I agree with Richie, as the rate of infection resulting from hand surgery is documented to be between 5 and 10 percent, which is more than double the rate of serious infection from remicade (as noted in your other post), which is around 2%.

On page 27 of this:
    http://www.centocor.com/centocor/assets/remicade.pdf

it says treated infections occured in 36% of Remicade patients.  (I couldn't copy the passage, but will try again.)  Are you getting the 2% using numbers given for 'patient years' perhaps, not percentage of patients?

Mom of teen daughter with Poly JIA since age 2. Current med: azithromycin 250 mg MWF.

Joe M
    Participant

No, the 2% is serious infections, meaning potentially fatal.  Saw that in an European study.  This one says 4%

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/453677_5

So I guess it depends on the study.

The risk of post-op infection is real – our youngest had a uretheral (sp?) reimplant last Friday and went home from the hospital on Sunday.  She developed a high fever and had to be readmitted Tuesday due to an infection caused by the operation.  Her blood work and urine were clean before the surgery.  Even the doc admitted the infection was caused by the surgery.  Now she's on IV Rocephin and gentimycin trying to get rid of it and will probably be in the hospital a couple more days. 

Sierra
    Participant

I tried the cortisone already. I met the surgeon on Tuesday and have a very good feeling about this choice. Thanks.

S.

John McDonald
    Participant

I haven't had many surgeries and all were regarded as successful, at least by the surgeon (I cut therefore I am paid).  But each one became the locus of some herxing over the course of my AP/MP treatment. That makes me wonder just how sterile the surgical theater really is.

As I recall Karin had a trick finger that finally released after just about everything else had recovered by AP.

I know you need some relief. Surgery is attractive, but I have come to think of it as a knife fight during which one of us has a distinct disadvantage. Some day I will need some more surgery for something but I will exhaust lots of other options first.

-john

Sierra
    Participant

Each person has to make the best choices for herself/himself along this path. While John views surgery as an unfair knife fight, I view it as a something positive. I've seen people in my family greatly helped through surgical interventions. Certainly there is risk, but again, each individual must do their own assessment of the situation and decide. I was struck by the kindness and sensitivity of my surgeon, who also has very impressive credentials. My rheumy (whom I trust) has said that many of her patients have reported very good outcomes with this type of surgery. Bottom line: It just feels right to me. I've been dealing with this for years and have tried many non-invasive methods to no avail. I've been on AP nearly 2 years. All along, I've trusted my instincts and that is what led me here. Aside from this finger, I still continue to do very well. I'm even thinking of becoming a yoga teacher–at age 47!

S.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Good for you Sierra! I have developed a great respect for my gut, too. Wishing you the best for the op and the outcome. Lynnie  

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

John McDonald
    Participant

Sierra – I agree with you. We must each find our own way through this maze. I don't mean to criticize or add pressure to your decision.  I am happy with whatever you choose. I was trying to add information. I am sorry if I offended.

Sierra
    Participant

Thanks, John. 

S.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘ synovectomy/trigger finger release’ is closed to new replies.