Home Forums General Discussion Swollen foot, SD, Possibly Lyme

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    finsfan
    Participant

Hi All,

I've had SD for about five years now, and have been on generic minocyline for about a year and a half.  There's been gradual improvement, but recently my left foot has become swollen and painful to stand on for any length of time.  I've seen the posts about Lyme disease, and am finally getting tested for it.  Has anyone had experience with swelling and pain in their feet (top of the foot and around the ankles)?  Guess I'm curious if this could be a Lyme manifestation as periodically I feel a sensation like bugs crawling around down there…:).

Kim
    Participant

Hi finsfan,

As a person with both Lyme and SD, I can tell you there are some bizarre symptoms associated with both.  Inflammation can be a problem with any rheumatic disease.  One of the co-infections of Lyme, Bartonella, can cause some strange symptoms with your legs and feet.  The Bart symptoms I've had are: shin-bone pain, pain on the soles of my feet, and parasthesia (numbness and tingling, crawling sensation).  Most doctors, unless it's an experienced Lyme doc, will never connect-the-dots on all these strange symptoms and likely will offer you something to “calm you down.”  :headbang::headbang::headbang:

You are very wise to do the Lyme testing because so many of us have learned that our SD was induced by Lyme and it takes Lyme treatment to get well.  Please use Igenex Labs in California to get the most sensitive testing.  Using the “search” button you'll see many posts on the process, or just ask if you need help.

Let us know if you need the names of Lyme docs (LLMDs) in your area.

Take care…..kim

ranger ron
    Participant

I also get that same feeling like something is crawling on me but it is on my head and sometimes I swear that I have a bug crawling in my eyes, I have never been tested for Lyme either, after reading your post I think I will also get tested for Lymes maybe that will explain some weird burning sensations I get in my feet and hands.

Kim
    Participant

[user=2265]ranger ron[/user] wrote:

I also get that same feeling like something is crawling on me but it is on my head and sometimes I swear that I have a bug crawling in my eyes, I have never been tested for Lyme either, after reading your post I think I will also get tested for Lymes maybe that will explain some weird burning sensations I get in my feet and hands.

Smart move, Ron.  I should have mentioned another Bart symptom I have is eye problems ~ blocked tear ducts, and a blister like thing on the surface which I think is some encapsulated infection (parasite).

You can go to http://www.lymenet.org and read a list of Lyme symptoms to see if you fit the profile.

Take care…..kim

Trudi
    Participant

[user=2265]ranger ron[/user] wrote:

I think I will also get tested for Lymes maybe that will explain some weird burning sensations I get in my feet and hands.

I've had those symptoms.  There was a time I could not stand on my feet for more than 5 minutes, if that, because of the painful burning sensation.  I tested Igenex positive for Lyme.  It really is a good idea to get tested.  It is also a very good idea to use the Igenex lab, as Kim mentioned.

Take care,

Trudi 

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

nspiker
    Participant

Hi finsfan,

My first symptom was an immediate onset of swelling in my left ankle.  Like Trudi, I could not stand for any period of time, because my leg was tight and stiff.  I used to measure my ankles and my right was 9 inches, and my left was always 9 1/2 inches.  Eight months into treatment, my leg rarely swells anymore.  This weekend, I realized all things I can do that I hadn't been able to last year.  I am so grateful :D!!!

I am being treated for babesia and lyme.  Just to prepare you, my babesia test was equivocal, and lyme test was negative through Igenex.  That's great that you are astute enough to get tested, and you may want to set up an appointment with an LLMD, because they will treat based on symptoms. 

I would never have thought to be treated for lyme if I had not found this site, and had the gentle nudging of the folks here.  I have been lyme tested so many times before, and it was always negative. 

nancy

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘ Swollen foot, SD, Possibly Lyme’ is closed to new replies.