Home Forums General Discussion Switching from Minocin to Doxycycline

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    TrustingGod
    Participant

Hello,

I am considering switching from minocin to doxycycline again to resolve hyperpigmentation. I haven’t had much success in the past. The first time the doctor made me go cold turkey because he thought that maybe I could remain in remission without treatment. I relapsed. The second time he only prescribed 50 mg of docy thinking that would be enough to sustain remission. I relapsed. I take 100 mg of minocin daily now. I wonder if taking 200 mg of doxy would make up for the fact that doxy isn’t as strong as minocin. Thoughts?

Spiffy1

So you were able to achieve remission each time you went backwards? Hmmmm. I guess this would be what I would gamble on myself. I have considered dropping to doxycycline 100 milligrams twice a day Monday Wednesday Friday but I am doing so well I hate to. But I do have hyperpigmentation right inside the corner of one side of my mouth that bugs me. But even if I change I have doubts it would ever go away. As far as I know this is the only area. Not sure why it chose there. Let us know what you and your doctor decide.

Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes, etc.
    RA Factor 71 in Jan 2015 down to 25 as of September 2017
    DR4/DQ8 HLA...biotoxin illness
    IGG food allergy to wheat, egg, and dairy...probably all grains
    Vit. C&D, probiotics, milk thistle, turmeric, fish oil, methyl b 12, methyl folate, digestive enzymes, Candisol, Ubiquinol, berberine, chlorella, Moducare, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens, Paractin
    MTHFR compound heterozygous
    Igenex IGM positive Lyme, minoMWF

PhilC
    Participant

I take 100 mg of minocin daily now. I wonder if taking 200 mg of doxy would make up for the fact that doxy isn’t as strong as minocin. Thoughts?

Yes, that may work. I’ve considered using even more than that, like 150 mg twice a day. By the way, some LLMDs treat Lyme Disease with 200 mg b.i.d. of doxycycline.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Randy
    Participant

WATCH OUT!!!!

Yes, to try to do something about my facial hyperpigmentation, I did the switch from 100mg twice daily mino to 100mg twice daily doxy in Mar’14. I began feeling relapsing symptoms by Aug ’14 (about 5 months later) and switched back to mino twice daily in Sept ’14. Unfortunately, the SD continued to progress and I “revisited” most of my SD progression symtoms and characteristics all over again! Yes, we can call it a relapse. However, when I review my returning symptoms or characteristics, it is a lot more than saying, “hindsight is 20-20”, and yes I had a relapse!

I was sick again and my skin score once again was in the mid-30’s! It took another 10 months on Mino to get close to where I was before I switched, and I never got back to the level of “remission” that I had been in. For me, the progression of symptoms is so gradual that one is not too aware that you are continually getting worse every day and beginning to suffer more and more each day with your symptoms, and needing more and more frequent medication to address your particular suffering.

Interestingly, and MOST importantly, my second reversal proved that AP worked for me twice! Additionally, the switch to Doxy enabled a cause and effect explaining why I had a “relapse”. So, it does not hold water that my skin softening and “remission” first time around was just due to being a priviledged member of the RNA Polymaris III SD subset that theoretically gets rapid skin involvement and then (if you survive…) the skin softens. No, my improvement was attributed to AP and I have now proved the effectiveness of AP twice!

So, in my hyperpigmentation case, as our SD friend Jeff has cleaverly said, “my modeling days are over…”, however, I am alive and doing okay.

One reason AP has not been well studied is that the protocol takes so long. It took me 12 months the first time and 10 months the second time to get things “into remission”. Needless to say, I strongly suggest you NOT experiment with switching to doxy unless you are interesting in adding a data point to my group of SD folks where AP has worked twice.

Randy

Diffuse SD since Apr '07
    AP since Feb '08
    100mg Mino twice daily
    Stopped Clindamycin IVs Aug 2019
    "No one should profit over someone else's illness"

Luck20
    Participant

Thanks for posting your experiences Randy. It’s nice to hear AP worked for you twice.

Yeah, the spontaneous remission bit bugs me too! Funny, no one says that about the typical sclero drugs more commonly used. Just AP…

Originally +Ana May 2018 (now negative Jan 2019), scleroderma or uctd, Morphea (now mostly gone!), Myositis ( better now) Probable Lyme w/coinfections, had Bartonella marks that disappeared,
    Mild reflux, mostly gone,mild ild, skin hardening (continued softening and some parts normal again) Impaired liver function, now normal after 1 year and CK, LDH all normal again, 14 mo after starting ap.

Minocin m-f 2x, antibiotic rotation, ldn 4.5, cellcept 3000, probiotics, Monolaurens, Olive leaf extract, fish

TrustingGod
    Participant

Thank you all for you comments.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.