Home Forums General Discussion Swelling?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Nan – RA
    Participant

Has anyone else experienced swelling in the feet and ankles?  I've never had that problem before and it is a nusiance.  It hurts and burns at the same time.  If you have had this problem can you please share what works to get it down or to keep it away?  I know the ice trick and ibuprofen etc.  My poor husbands hands are swollen from rubbing my feet! 

Also, does anyone else have trouble walking?  My knees and feet are always hurting.  I feel like I'm walking on boulders! (I walk like a duck)

Thank you for your help!

Nan

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Nan… me, too! My ankles and knees have been the most persistant throughout…upper body great now with just minor aches upon waking for about 15 mins.

If it's any encouragement to you, it's taken 21 months, but my grapefruit knees and ankles have improved tremendously with AP, physical therapy and ultrasound treatments (by PT). Standing for any length of time and walking were very difficult for about a year. Since then and conservatively speaking, my left knee is at about 75% improved and my right knee is at about 60% improved. As for my ankles, I have had swollen lumps in front of the ankle bone on the outer sides, but these have reduced in size by about 70%. I also have a tendon behind my left ankle that is swollen…PT said I needed to keep exercising that to move the swelling out. Toes and ball of feet are pretty normal now.

My feet tend to burn most in the mornings when I first get up, but this gets better throughout the day and this is also getting better over time.

I empathize! :sick:

Peace, Maz

DianeWI
    Participant

Hi Nan,

This has been one of the most problematic issues for me.  My feet and ankles are  so sore and stiff.  It gets better for a time, then it gets worse again.  Swelling is the name of the game here.  This year I am quitting on the gardening because I can't walk on the uneven soul well.  I don't go for walks much either.  My ankles are weak and I can turn my foot over very easily.  I just don't want to break anything.

Diane/WI

caroline
    Participant

I had two years + of swollen feet/heels/ankles due to Reflex Sympathetic
    Dystrophy & plantar fasciitis.

Perhaps you are already doing the following:

1. elevating feet at night

2. wrapping swollen areas to compress- ace bandage or coban tape–
    not too tightly wrapped

3. acupuncture & herbal packs applied directly to swollen areas

4. remove salt from diet & if necessary, cut calories to drop weight

5. ask a therapist about use of 2″ Kinesio tape–recent Japanese discovery
    is appied along particular muscle area. Patient wears & showers in tape
    which stays on for several days. Kinesio tape slightly lifts the top layer
    of skin to allow lymph underneath to carry away toxins & thus relief from
    inflammation & pain is helped. Tape costs between $12-20 US dollars.
    There are diagram books on use of kinesio tape. If you know how it is
    applied, either you or a friend, spouse, etc. can apply it without

6 ice packs & massage in direction towards heart

7 raise feet in air when you are lying down & move them around to get
    circulation to that area & reverse gravity……

Yes, it is a nightmare but it can pass at it's own rate. Meditation & sending
    love to that afflicted part of the body was helpful. I also used a shoe with
    adjustable velcro & orthotics

KAnderson
    Participant

Nan I suffer from Hypermobility as well as RA and this has huge implications for my ankle and hip joints. However my Rheumy Podiatrist gave me these insoles for my shoes. Although not 100&% better…..gosh do I notice a difference. Apart from a bag of frozen peas labelled “do not eat!” I cant help with the swelling. My ankles look like tree trunks just now.

K

steph-sclero
    Participant

Hi Nan,

I can totally relate.  My ankles would give a pregnant women's ankles a run for their money most of the time. With summer here it's embarrassing to wear sandals/shorts when your ankles look as if they've been broken. Ice and elevation are the standards I try right away but I also add a stronger diuretic to the mix until the swelling goes away. I am normally on hydrochlorothyazide daily, with swelling I add lasix (furosemide). The best way to deal with it, however confining is to get off your feet. I find when I'm on my feet too much is when the swelling acts up. It's our bodies way of getting us to slow down (my mother likes to use that one). Let's not even begin to talk about the burning, skin so tight you think it's going to rip, joint pain, shooting nerve pain up the legs from the ankles etc.

Your sister in swelling,

Steph

Lizz
    Participant

Nan- I use compression stockings, the kind you use for flying or being on your feet for long periods. I wear them when I am going somewhere walking or on my feet for awhile. I think they really help!

Tiff
    Participant

Hi all,

While this is probably not an issue for anyone here, I just wanted to note that some medications cause this problem.  My mother got the worst swollen ankles and feet that also iched and burned from taking Lyrica for shoulder pain of an unknown origin (probably osteo in her neck radiating to her shoulder).  It is listed as a side affect, and yet her doctors ignored it saying it was caused by her smoking.  After stopping the Lyrica it took a good 3 months, but it completely resolved.

richie
    Participant

Hi

Swelling is a very common problem for folks with rheumatic diseases –Cutting back salt will help along with the use of a mild diuretic–Swelling comes from many things –build=up of fluid due to too much sodium

richie

Nan – RA
    Participant

Hi all,

Thank you for your input.  I have tried just about every single thing suggested.  I am on a diruetic with my blood pressure medicine and I have taken ibuprophen, aspirin, and am now taking extra strength tylenol.  I am medication sensitive and so therefore am limited to what I can take.  I have had pain in my feet for at least 3 years now and started out with (before I knew I had RA)… double heel spurs .. OUCH!  Of course, plantar fasciitis goes along with that.  I think I'm over all of that but my feet just got worse.  Now every day my feet swell to some degree and they are very painful … even when they aren't swollen … to just walk from one room to another.  I look ridiculous when I walk… it's like walking on boulders as I've said. 

Do you think this will EVER go away?  I can't imagine being like this for the rest of my life.  I work and do tours for an assisted living community and it requires me to be on my feet a lot.  I've become a very good actress… I know just how to turn my back when I have grimaces of pain on my face! 

Nan

Nan – RA
    Participant

Lizz, where do you get these compression stockings?????

Lizz
    Participant

Nan, I got the stockings at Savon drugs here in southern California, I would try a large drug store or medical supply house, they really do make my feet and ankles better! All the best to you.

Nan – RA
    Participant

Thank you Lizz…. I'll try that.

Bobbie
    Participant

Hi Nan,
    I understand where you are coming from.My feet is where RA first showed it's ugly face and recently my feet and ankles have been very swollen. I have been on Minocin for about 8 years and most of that time felt pretty good, but this spring had a terrible flare. I was having trouble walking due to the pain and swelling and needed relief as my Mother fell, and I had her in my home to take care of her. One of us needed to be able to walk, I got a pred pak and than than went on 5mg. of prednisone a day.
    The swelling went away in 2 days, and I can walk again with no problems. I never thought that I would ask for predisone, but know that after I go see Dr. S in Iowa next month, I will come off of it .
    Best wishes,
    Bobbie

Dena
    Participant

If you're a smoker, smoking is the favorite answer for whatever ails you–it means the doctor doesn't have a clue.  Been there.

My overweight friends have the same experience–everything is the fault of being overweight.

Neither smoking nor obeisity is good, but doctors need to look beyond that, especially with rheumatic diseases.

Dena

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘ Swelling?’ is closed to new replies.