Home Forums General Discussion Suzanne

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    sierrra
    Participant

Did your daughter like the dairy free cheez recipes I provided?

Sierra

Suzanne
    Participant

I promise I will give you a report when we try it!  The yeast flakes are sitting on my counter, making me feel guilty everyday LOL!

But we are finally to the last week of swim season and will be home more next week and can experiment.  Both girls had daily practices and evening meets since before school ended; my older one made the Allstar Meet (my little one's age group does not compete in that, but she got third place in freestyle at an earlier meet!) so we are still schlepping to daily practices.

Add hubby's travel and our usual whirlwind of dr. appts. and no, I haven't attempted anything new lately! 

Mom of teen daughter with Poly JIA since age 2. Current med: azithromycin 250 mg MWF.

sierrra
    Participant

OK, no pressure! You should keep the yeast flakes in the fridge.

S.

Suzanne
    Participant

I didn't refrigerate them because they weren't refrigerated at the store – I had to buy them from the 'bulk' section, like with spices and nuts.  You just scooped it into a bag!

Thanks for letting me know!

Mom of teen daughter with Poly JIA since age 2. Current med: azithromycin 250 mg MWF.

Suzanne
    Participant

Sierra,

I made the cheez sauce last week!  I was amazed how well it thickened!  I put it over some whole wheat rotini, and also left some of the noodles plain in case my daughter didn't like it.

She had seconds of the cheez version!  I was surprised, since she wasn't overly excited about it.  She said it was okay, but it didn't matter if we had it again or not.

My little one said, 'MMMMMMMM!!!!!', but she can have dairy, so I don't have to make the effort.

I liked it, but it seemed like the dish was missing something – I was wishing I had broccoli or something to mix in, or to make like a tuna casserole.  I think it would work great for that.

There was some leftover, so for lunch TWICE I mixed in a little salsa and warmed it up and OMG it was so good to me that I have been craving it ever since…….

Thanks for sharing the recipe.  Even if we don't make 'cheez' again, I think maybe I can adapt it for a cream sauce to make chicken pot pie again in the fall.  That's something my dairy-free daughter misses, too.

Take care,
    Suzanne

sierrra
    Participant

It's a bit of an acquired taste.  Do you ever use Tofutti soy sour cream? I wonder if a dollop of that would be good in the mac n' cheese? Just thought of it now. I added some to scrambled eggs yesterday and loved the creaminess and flavor. (I used to love shredded cheese on scrambled eggs.)

It's a good sign she didn't spit it out! 🙂

Sierra

Suzanne
    Participant

I haven't tried the soy sour cream – since my daughter was younger when we had to eliminate the dairy, she hadn't developed a taste for a lot of things yet and doesn't miss them!  I use plain yogurt instead of sour cream for the rest of us.

That is a good idea for scrambled eggs, though.  Hubby has absent-mindedly put milk in the eggs more than once during his kitchen-trashing weekend brunch extravaganzas.

So far, I mainly sub soy or rice milk in recipes and avoid anything else.  She doesn't like any of the dairy-free cheese products we have tried, but we have a favorite restaurant that serves a soy cheese pizza that she loves (I'm very tired of that restaurant LOL).  She likes soy ice cream, and as long as she stays active in sports I can let her indulge in that.  The kind we have right now has a smidgen of iron, so it's not completely wasted calories, I guess.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘ Suzanne’ is closed to new replies.